Whats the point of Bushcraft in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Banjobill

I am a big fan of Ray Mears - attended his lecture tour, read his books, watch his DVD's etc. I was involved in a 'Pub Argument' about him and the whole topic of Bushcraft, as practiced in the UK, came up.

I was asked the above question. The only answer I could give (other than 'I like it' which sounds a bit girly), was the one about getting close to nature and being able to shrug off the trappings of modern living etc etc.

It sounded very weak in the face of his scorning criticism, that all Bushcrafters do is play at being Frontiersmen and pretending that their survival rested on their abilities to whittle a four-poster bed out of a twig. We are never more that half an hour from a supermarket in this country, so why grub around for nuts, roots and berries? And as for lighting fire by any other means than using matches or a lighter....!

I felt a bit silly at not being able to counter his arguments. So, I pass the question on...

What is the point of bushcraft in the UK?

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Thats a very good question, isnt it just the same as any hobby? Whats the point of playing sports like football or tennis, stap collecting or model building etc etc

They are all things that people find fun. I find bushcraft interesting and challenging, there is allways something new to learn or practice. It isnt just one hobby but a collection of many. I enjoy carpentry(making a spoon), wildlife photography(you cant do that in a supermarket), cooking(open fire of coarse), the list is endless.

So, bushcraft in the uk...why not?

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Bill, can you run in a diagonal line?

Please do so and sharpish, cos when this lot have had their teas, there,ll be a pyroclastic flow you wouldnt dream of.

Been nice knowing you :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ceeg

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
being in to bushcraft has more going for it than than golf or foot ball or siting in a pub. you have to ask them what they are in to I bet its one of the three :rolleyes:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Wow, it is actually hard to answer isn't it? The points you made seem well founded, although so do some of theirs! :rolleyes:

I guess there will be those who'll use words like 'survival' and phrases like 'the end of the world' in the same sentance and who am I to argue with their answer either as there is truth to this as well.

My first knee jerk answer would be 'well it beats the hell out of sitting in a pub picking holes in my interests, you clown! :cussing:

But perhaps my more levelled response would be to liken what St Paul says in the bible about himself, don't worry I'm not making this religious after all Hitler borrowed the phrase as well, ' I am all things to all men'.

In my humble opinion bushcraft is all things to all men. Simply push your antagonisers to this site and let them see the diversity of the people and our community here. What subjects people discuss and share with one another.

Perhaps, without wishing to sound to corny the other answer is 'friendship' after all I have made more friends from discussing bushcraft with people I meet whether here or for real, far more than talking football and beer, although don't get me wrong I do that as well! :D

Pib

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It's all about lifestyle choice. Your colleague might be happy depending on modern technology in an ever more fragile system, but I feel good knowing that my knowledge and experience in following a simpler, more basic way of life stands me in good stead in most any environment, be it modern or primitive. What a joy! What peace of mind that brings. Others may be content to stick their head in the sand, but I like to get out there and discover how to do stuff and make stuff. Bushcraft as we practice it in this country fulfills all these needs.

Eric

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
For me its about freedom.

Freedom to be able to move easily equally through a woods at night as I can move through a supermarket by day.

Free from ignorant people who play loud music from cheap cars, people who want to share their mobile phone conversations.

Freedom from a plastic box that tries to sell me stuff I don't want or show me the lives of people that don't exist.

I don't need primitive technolgy, I could do this is a Gortex suit and a nylon tent, but that would act as a constant reminder of what I need to be free from everynow and again.

Thats why I like bushcraft best in summer, I can just sit under a tree with just my shorts on a watch the real world ignoring for a while everything that people seem to think that I should be impressed with.

Reactions: Toddy

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
One simple anwser - for fun! Yes, we're playing at it - so what? :)

Presumably your opponent was in the pub for exactly the same purpose. ;)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Bill, there is a thread somewhere, and recent, about why we as individuals, are into bushcraft.

Just have a butchers at that and you will see that there are many reasons given there and , I,m sure, quite a lot of them will ring a bell with you.

I would search and post the link myself, but I,m busy with the Mk. 12 trystick.

In the meantime, short body armour may be in order for rig of the day!

rgds

Ceeg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a hobby pure and simple, it has an element of exercise. an element of learning (vaguely) useful skills, an interest in nature and pleasure taken in being outdoors. Its not "necessary", it doesn't grant us any moral high ground , it doesn't make us custodians of anything. Its a hobby - no better or worse than playing Rugby, photography or researching the family tree.

Red

Reactions: redcollective
B

Banjobill

British Red said:
Its a hobby pure and simple, it has an element of exercise. an element of learning (vaguely) useful skills, an interest in nature and pleasure taken in being outdoors. Its not "necessary", it doesn't grant us any moral high ground , it doesn't make us custodians of anything. Its a hobby - no better or worse than playing Rugby, photography or researching the family tree.

Red

This is by and large the response I gave. I find it interesting when someone asks you a question that makes you stop and think and re-evaluate just exactly what you are doing and why. I just know that I would rather be walking through a forest than a shopping mall, be by a stream than by a desk, and watching wildlife than watching my computer.

I'm only glad I kept my mouth shut about my knife collection :D

B

Banjobill

torjusg said:
You probably shouldn't tell them this, because then they'd definately think you're a looney. But at least I believe that you people over in the UK may just need it more than most people in a few years. :cool: :eek:

Torjus Gaaren

:eek: Wadda you know, Torjus? :Thinkingo

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Bisamratte said:
Thats a very good question, isnt it just the same as any hobby? Whats the point of playing sports like football or tennis, stap collecting or model building etc etc

So, bushcraft in the uk...why not?
football tennis rugby et all ar NOT sports, despite what all the red top papers tell you, there are only three sports and the local and nanny state is trying to ban them all.

Bushcraft is about taking part in something that improves your life, be it by making you fitter, or taking you outside to see the real world, you could say it is giving you the tools to make a hopeless situation better. I read an article about people who survive, and there was a quote from a doctor trying to explain why some people live despite having such horrific life threatening injuries, and others die from shock when someone they know is injured in a accident that they themselves are not involved in. Bushcraft is about training your mind, the physical side of it is just a bonus.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Well, I just like to get out every now and then and meet up with friends and have a chat...I could do this down the pub, but prefer to do it on a camp site, with people who are willing to teach as well as learn their skills...what can you say to some numpty who doesn't understand or comprehend what "bushcraft" is all about...just invite him to a weekend away from it all...

Ban,

Have you been away for a while on another planet and missed the news that the Gulf stream is shutting down...cold winters ahead and a lot more besides...if we last that long!

LS

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Yes bushcraft is a hobby, it gets me outdoors, it makes me comfortable with what is around me outdoors, learning to listen, to look, to smell and to touch those things that general folk don't really expereance. Learning to identify too.
To be able to sleep in the woods, to make fire by friction, to keep the old ways alive.....Oh I love it.............

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a very healthy dose of reality in an otherwise very artificial lifestyle.
If you want food; hunt it or gather it.
If you want heat; make a fire.
If you want shelter; build it.
If you want to breathe; go outside away from man made pollution.
If you want to relax; sleep in a wood, on the hill, or listening to the water ;)
If you want good companionship; find like minded folk :D

Cheers,
Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You probably shouldn't tell them this, because then they'd definately think you're a looney
:lmao: :lmao: TEOTWAWKI here we come :D :lmao: :lmao:

With the exception of Torjus's suggestion ;) :D there have been some great answers here. I particularly like Bambodoggy's :D VERY well put!

The beauty of this interest in the outdoors is that it is so broad and endlessly varied. There are so many other interests that compliment and are complimented by some knowledge of bushcraft. We may practice it as a hobby, but it can enrich one's life far more than any spectator sport can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE