Whats the point of Bushcraft in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Martyn said:
That didnt last long did it?

quod erat demonstrandum
:lmao:

yawnee.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
2nd time of asking gentlemen :(

Please return this thread to it's original course.

Banjobill " Whats the point of Bushcraft in the UK?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a big fan of Ray Mears - attended his lecture tour, read his books, watch his DVD's etc. I was involved in a 'Pub Argument' about him and the whole topic of Bushcraft, as practiced in the UK, came up.

I was asked the above question. The only answer I could give (other than 'I like it' which sounds a bit girly), was the one about getting close to nature and being able to shrug off the trappings of modern living etc etc.

It sounded very weak in the face of his scorning criticism, that all Bushcrafters do is play at being Frontiersmen and pretending that their survival rested on their abilities to whittle a four-poster bed out of a twig. We are never more that half an hour from a supermarket in this country, so why grub around for nuts, roots and berries? And as for lighting fire by any other means than using matches or a lighter....!

I felt a bit silly at not being able to counter his arguments. So, I pass the question on...

What is the point of bushcraft in the UK?"
not so cheerfully,
Toddy

Reactions: leon-1

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Toddy said:
2nd time of asking gentlemen :(

Please return this thread to it's original course.

" Whats the point of Bushcraft in the UK?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a big fan of Ray Mears - attended his lecture tour, read his books, watch his DVD's etc. I was involved in a 'Pub Argument' about him and the whole topic of Bushcraft, as practiced in the UK, came up.

I was asked the above question. The only answer I could give (other than 'I like it' which sounds a bit girly), was the one about getting close to nature and being able to shrug off the trappings of modern living etc etc.

It sounded very weak in the face of his scorning criticism, that all Bushcrafters do is play at being Frontiersmen and pretending that their survival rested on their abilities to whittle a four-poster bed out of a twig. We are never more that half an hour from a supermarket in this country, so why grub around for nuts, roots and berries? And as for lighting fire by any other means than using matches or a lighter....!

I felt a bit silly at not being able to counter his arguments. So, I pass the question on...

What is the point of bushcraft in the UK?"

not so cheerfully,
Toddy

agree.gif
certainly will Toddy.

I think that Bushcraft has only become popular recently as it is a great stress reliever for many who practice it, and of course for those who make loads of money at it...

I recently took a work colleague on one of my weekends, he brought his "wife" along as well and met with a lot of others who had similar interests...

He told me a few days later that it had been a most relaxing weekend compared to the stress he had recently had "at work", he even managed to completely loose it and started singing in the car, something that he hadn't done for many years as it was usually the radio/CD that provided musical accompliment to his journeys...

So what do I get out of it...loads...but the best is that of watching others enjoying something that is "different" to their normal "day"...

LS

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
1 Self empowerment.
2 Protecting and cleaning our disappearing enviroment, all the bushies I have come across take their own and others c**p away with them. They think hard before deciding not to dig up a root and dont pick wild flowers.
3 Retaining ancient skills. Only by using these skills within our UK enviroment do we get to understand how our own history happened.
4 Combination of out door hobbies which are healthy, non toxic and life enhancing.
5 Meeting like minded people and exchanging ideas- good social skill training and judgment revision i.e. is that bloke in full camo, buckskin, latex, loin cloth a nutter... maybe not, he knows how to carve a mean spoon.
6 Having fun. Which is very good for mental clarithy and hypertension.
7 Increasing cultural diversity and awarness.
8 Group equality. Its about what you can show and share. Not what kit u have.

Thats just a few thoughts if you want to get 'scientific' about it.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I was in conversation recently with a reasonably senior FC officer that within his circle of collegues 'Bushcraft' was regarded as a partial cure for a number of enthusiasts mid-life crisis!
This is re your 'stress relief LS!
I replied that as far as I was concerned it was a positive thing and could only be considered beneficial.
Swyn.

Jun 24, 2006
london
For hundreds of years mankind has been attempting to protect itself from nature and the result is a culture that destroys the very thing that gives us life. We originally evolved into an intimate and balanced relationship with nature and bushcraft helps us to appreciate that balance and understand that if the current imbalance continues there won't be much of a planet left for our children to enjoy. Besides, it's fun.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Bushcraft to me is a mental state of preparedness that stands me in good steat for many eventualites. Example....
I was caught up in a hurricane in Jamaica on September 12th 1988 (hurricane Gilbert). It devastated the island killing over 300 people and leaving the rest stranded without food, water, electricity or basic sanitation. With the aid of my "Bushcraft" (although it wasn't called that then) knowledge I was able to keep myself and a lot of people fed, watered and healthy until help arrived. I did however witness people falling to pieces because the phone wouldn't work or there was no water coming out of the taps (although there was drinkable liquids all around them (windfall coconuts). So I say let them rely wholly on their 48" plasma tellies and combi boilers but when the power goes out, see how many come to your house asking can they borrow a candle :D Knowledge costs nothing and weighs nothing

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
We are the custodians of 'the knowledge' its the basic life skill that were essential to mankind for millenia.In the last 2 or 3 generations,huge amounts of this knowledge hasn't been passed on to one and all,as it used to be.
There seems little point in 'progress' if we sytematically forget the skills that we learnt getting here.Its one of the only hobbies I've ever participated in,that everyone wants to teach each other.

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
"Bushcraft increases cultural awareness and diversity?

How?"

It has encouraged me to look into "bushcraft" practices from other cultures, from Europeans, Native and settled Americans, through forests and who knows where else. Some of the skills and techniques I see I have no hope of repeating, but they interest me none the less.

Through looking into some of these skills I have learnt that they developed in response to particular community needs, and so I've learnt a bit more about the culture. Mostly, I have learnt not to rush to judgment about another cultures practices, as there is probably a good story behind each one, some where down the line.

And there is also something about humility in all that. To see some of the poorest people on the earth managing to live (not just survive) in places few others could reminds me that I may be good at some stuff, but I'm useless at much more.

And it offers a way to look into cultures from previous times, to practice something (for pleasure) that others used as part of daily life offers a tiny link to cultures gone.

And it gets me out and about with others. As well as encouraging me to watch a few documentaries, and not only Star Trek re-runs!

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
what is the point in 22 men running aroung a field chasing a glorified pigs bladder and trying to get it in between 2 posts stuck in the ground and not being able to use the most important limbs in your body????

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
Cormac said:
what is the point in 22 men running aroung a field chasing a glorified pigs bladder and trying to get it in between 2 posts stuck in the ground and not being able to use the most important limbs in your body????

thats why they invented rugby though, so they could!!! :lmao:

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Because I can!

If I have the opportunity to do something legally that I enjoy then why not :)

I enjoy doing it it much less than I should due to being rubbish and lazy etc, but if i want to I can and do.

Id also ask them - what do you do then, and why?

Rgds

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
first it was survival,then escapism always has been trying to learn primitive skills i was always told im intelegent but im rubbish at most academic things, well bushcraft was the only thing i was good at and now i can think 100per cent for myself to me its a very cheap hobby the natural highs are much stronger than drugs, but its good for your health and money, it was born to me when i got a girlfriend and later friends how far iv come (always been a loner) they seem to need loads of 'things' use up heaps of money, struggle with wieght and health.

since im not very organised when i go far from home somethimes i miss the train and have to stay the night, B n B's cost money so just find some wood sleep and find breakfast in the morning most others would have a fit at the thought of being 'stranded' so also a sense of inderpendance.
im or we are a lot more resorceful than most without really realiseing,basicly its a fun hobby thats healthy and self improving just some people think were after some ego boost by playing rambo or just cant understand at all but its no loss to us cos the woods are still there

the thought i have a home a shelter food and peace anywere i choose to go makes me feel happy and relaxed and confident

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
It has given me a new perspective on life.

I have never liked shopping and like shopping malls even less. I find places like Bluewater in Kent absolutley abhorrent and can't bear being there. All those people chasing a dream that isn't real convinced that spending money will somehow bring you happiness, "status" or even "power"

All of this means nothing in the forest, a rich man and a poor man can both enjoy sitting round a fire, but the rich man will soon be itching to get away and do something else. Whats the point?

It remonds me of a story...

There was a forester who lived with his wife in a small cottage a mile of so from the local village. Each day he would get up, collect wood for the forest, some for himslef and some to sell. His wife would tend the garden, harvest vegetables, some for them and some to sell, she would collect eggs from their chickens, some to keep and some to sell. Ocassionaly they would go into town to sell their produce, buy supplies and pay any bills.

Each night they ate fresh food and met up with friends to tell tales and sing songs after which they would go home and make love.

One day a buisness man came to their town and told the forrester that if he worked harder and cut down more trees then he could afford a chainsaw and cut down even more trees which he could sell for even more money. If his wife grew more vegetables and sold them she could afford a rotavator to grow even more vegetables and make even more money.

The forrester asked what he would do with this money, and teh buisness man replied that he could buy a truck with a built in saw and a chipping wagon to make even more money, and his wife could afford a tractor to grow even more food.

Again the forrester asked why? Getting frustrated at this point the buisness man said if you keep grwoing your money then you can pay somebody else to run the buisness and you can take it easy?

How do you mean? asked the Forrester?

About to explode the Buisnessman screamed that the forrester would be able to get up in the morning go for a walk in the woods, his wife would be able to potter around in the garden, they would be able to eat the finest fresh cooked food, go out with their friends and make love every night.

The forrester smilled and said "Thats nice" :)

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE