What to do with them horns?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
My daughter and her boyfriend found and bought those from a car boot sale. Now, I am just wondering what can be done with them. Any ideas?

DSCN1011.jpg

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1013.jpg

They are 32" long, 4" in diameter, any idea from which animal they could be from? ( I know...cows..:p but which?)

Any help/advice/ideas appreciated.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Go all Viking.
Either make a comedy viking horned helmet, or perhaps a war horn for calling the tribe to arms, or even a drinking horn for lusty, foamy ale!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Big - look to curly for Ankole..Zebu maybe?

I'd love to see (or own) one turned into a hunting horn / war horn!

Red

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
My daughter and her boyfriend found and bought those from a car boot sale. Now, I am just wondering what can be done with them. Any ideas?

They are 32" long, 4" in diameter, any idea from which animal they could be from? ( I know...cows..:p but which?)

Any help/advice/ideas appreciated.

shorten them, and make drinking horns (flog on ebay) and with the off-cuts cut them open (soak in hotwater to flatten them) make a couple of sheaths, anything left over flatten and make spoons.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Don't shorten them for drinking or blowing horns. :eek:

Finding big horns for that sort of thing is tricky so it'd be a waste to shorten them.

If it was me I'd make one of each and they look thick enough to carve them too.

Lucky find, I've been after a good pair like that for ages.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, they are too nice to cut up but if you can't resist (I couldn't) you could make a tinder horn from the tip of one a salt horn fron the end of the other, several horn mugs, any number of spoons, buttons from the odd ments, flatten bits scraped thin for the sides of a lantern, I've always fancied a horn comb myself but never got round to sourcing one. Jeeze theres a whole winters pottering there!

It would really be a shame to chop them up though!

A great find!

ATB

Tom

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd say you should sell one to BR made into a war horn and the other into a drinking vessel for Wayland! They've both shown an interest, I reckon Wayland would struggle with a horns' worth of Stags' Breath, but it'd be great to watch either way! :D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Wow!! Thanks for the ideas! Daughter and boyfriend want Boromir's war horn!! Maybe without the brass and cast stuff around it though, I am not that clever! Nicely polished, with brass and leather strap, it could be quite a nice piece. I may be tempted to attempt some simple carving on it. Or not because they have a rather beautiful pattern on them.. I'll try that on a smaller, less nice one, first!

The other one, I can have! Yay..:D Got to decide what I'll do with mine now!! Amazing the amount of different things that can be made with horn! Keep them coming. What's the best way to polish horn?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I polished the horn I got from Tengu by going down through the grits and then buffing it up with a normal buffing wheel and a bit of compound. It came out quite nicely, although I could have done with going a bit finer before buffing. I still have to make the rest of that tinder horn, so many projects and so little time!

May 18, 2009
Llandeilo, Wales
<<What's the best way to polish horn?>>

Treat it just as you would a delicate wood, progressively finer abrasives and finish with a good quality wax. If you are going to make a drinking horn then I have found GRP laminating resin to be good for the inside, but make sure it's well cured before you use it. (I have no idea about the health and safety implications, but numerous bottles of mead drunk from mine have done me no obvious harm)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE