Old Hatchet... What to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Right, a wee update...whatever phase this is as I fiddle with it on quiet days. The handle was allowed to dry over several weeks after soaking up an unfeasible amount of orange oil.

It went from grey to a healthy colour- hickory I reckon as its as hard as bone. Used 80 grit paper to revive the surface, remove dings and deep scratches without losing the character. There was a vertical split in the head portion of the shoulder that goes into the eye but I reckoned the new wedge and the compression would negate any issues.

The head was refitted today and hitting the knob with a dead blow mallet really drove the head on well. The poplar wedge was driven in with a lump hammer and again it really drove neatly home to make a tight fit.

I'm away for a while so have left it to settle before a final whack. A sharp knife took care of a tiny amount of wood shaved by the eye off. Head is now the right way round!

I don't like metal finishing wedges so will saw it flat and leave alone unless I feel any looseness.

All in all a good wee project. Things to do next time, try a wire brush on the head initially and maybe an alternate to a vinegar blue for a darker, more Gransfors like finish.

Glad I kept the handle. No need to throw things away and it will do a few decades more.

Lastly I'll oil the shaft, Ballistol the head and put it to work this winter.

Attachments

• 20221108_161020.JPG
    20221108_161020.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221108_161025.JPG
    20221108_161025.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Dogoak and mikehill

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Next time just put some linseed oil on the head after giving it an edge. It gives rust protection and s grey/black finish.
Then use it to keep new rust away and a light oil for the whole ax/hatches ones a year.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Finished trimming the handle after leaving everything to settle. Everything rock solid. Handle still loving an occasional oil rub and a leather mask ordered.

View attachment 82553

Job, jobbed!
That is, in my opinion, a finer tool than any hand forged Swedish axe. It's something that you've researched, can maintain & have invested "sweat equity" in.

Great job

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
A really impressive job.

Taking something that many people would bin, to a handsome, working tool is a great thing.
A significant distance from the disposable society we live in today. Keeping old skills alive and getting the satisfaction of a job well done.
Things like this are why The Repair Shop is one of my favourite shows on TV. (shuffles off to moan at kids on the PlayStation)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE