What kind of shoes do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
As the title says, I'm a bit curious what kind of shoes people use. I've seen that some people prefer thin-soled leather shoes for tracking, while some people swear by hi-tech hiking boots.

So, what's your choice?

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I got ecco hiking boots which weigh far too heavy and have to thick soles. I always use sandals in dry weather but now I have to cross muddy roads to frequently (around my caravan it's got really muddy ), when these heavy boots wear out I'll buy thin soled leather boots. I'm already looking forward :p

I like to go barefoot where I can.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
My choice are Alt-berg.

I live quite close to the factory so they made them to order for me and were kind enough to tweak them so they are a perfect fit.
Heavy and thick soled but IMO that is a plus as they feel "bombproof"
Hi-leg as i always seem to find the puddle slightly deeper than my boots. :D

Expensive at £160 but as i live so close they can repair/replace many worn parts for years to come.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
ArkAngel said:
My choice are Alt-berg.

I live quite close to the factory so they made them to order for me and were kind enough to tweak them so they are a perfect fit.
Heavy and thick soled but IMO that is a plus as they feel "bombproof"
Hi-leg as i always seem to find the puddle slightly deeper than my boots. :D

Expensive at £160 but as i live so close they can repair/replace many worn parts for years to come.

That's probably quite smart. I think that you should always try to support local business (if they deserve it that is). Think globally, act locally as they say... :rolleyes:
They look solid on their site.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I mostly use the M77 norwegian army boots. Polish them now and then and they are good enough for most bushcrafters.

p_578_730_040.jpg

In winter, when it is (very) cold, I often use the military "overboot" (norw: fotpose) that is made for these as well.
The M77 boots have no lining, so these "overboots" are essencial when it is cold outside.

Tor

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I think it just depends what kind of feet you have and what you want to do with them.
I have very broad feet. and so I need broad shoes. hard to find, somehow most shoes always hurt at the sides of my feet. when I'm in the woods not really having to walk long distances I use standard dutch military boots

14871577-nederlandse-legerkistjes.jpg

but If I have to walk long and far I use my walking boots:

hanwag peru

2321_Sepia_400x400.jpg

but then again. it depends what kind of feet you have and what you want to do.
tip: when you are going to walk long distances. try washing your feet with cold shower water every morning. you won't or almost won't have blisters.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I walk barefeet all summer (except when hiking with a heavy backpack). In winter, counting from when the cold gets uncomfortable I use either my ski boots or my mountain boots.

Have used the M77 extensively as well, I liked them, but they are really too cold in winter without "fotpose". And I find them rather encumbersome.

I want to make some boots from reindeer leg skins sometimes soon. Or if that is all I can get: Elk leg skins.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Sandals in summer and the rest of the time my Scarpa Rangers. It's getting really hard to find leather boots without poxy goretex liners in them :( .

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Snufkin said:
Sandals in summer and the rest of the time my Scarpa Rangers. It's getting really hard to find leather boots without poxy goretex liners in them :( .

That's a shame really! I know lowa makes a model without gore-tex, but then it's leather inside, and leather outside, and foam inbetween! Meindl also have some none gore-tex ones. I can also recommend lundhags boots, which have a quite different approach to boots. Fast drying, versatile and bomb proof stuff. Seen it in some english webstores. Their professional model is a winner, and the forester is a great buy for someone with a tight budget.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
There's a good few years left in my Rangers so I won't have to worry at the moment but I'm thinking of getting another pair to put away just in case they stop making them.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I have a couple of pairs of ex-forces Pro boots. They have Thinsulate lining so are really warm.
Trouble I have is getting them on initially, because the tongue is stitched all the way up.I really struggle getting my heel [widest part of foot] in. Once I get them on they are really comfey.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
wanderinstar said:
I have a couple of pairs of ex-forces Pro boots. They have Thinsulate lining so are really warm.
Trouble I have is getting them on initially, because the tongue is stitched all the way up.I really struggle getting my heel [widest part of foot] in. Once I get them on they are really comfey.
my cadets boots have a thinsulate lining and i also struggle to get my heel in them
leon

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I don't wear shoes in the bush unless I'm wearing sandals around camp at night. For summer use I swear by my US army improved jungle boot. They're very much like the vietnam-era boots but use cordura nylon instead of cotton duck. They're great because I do a lot of river crossings and they dry out very quickly.

For fall use, I tend to wear a pair of Canadian army Mk. III combat boots. They look a lot like the Norwegian army boots. And like a lot of you, I don't like gore-tex boots either. Gore-tex socks are another matter though.

When I go mountaineering which isn't that often anymore, I wear a pair of heavy, clunky Salomon heavy mountaineering boots. They don't flex at all because they need to be able to kick steps into show when I'm using my ice-axe. This also means that they destroy my feet very quickly. Even with a nice pair of gel insoles they still hurt.

Cheers,

Adam

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
Gore-tex boots are wuite sweaty in comparison to non gore-tex boots. Easy way around thast is to have boots with a removeable Gore-tex inner or buy gore-tex socks. This allows more air to circulate. That is how mine work anyway

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE