What kind of shoes do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Danner, Danner, Danner, Danner, Danner....

I love my Danners. Dead comfy, fit like a glove, nice and warm in winter, cool enough in summer, and have never leaked a drop through their Goretex lining in 15 years or thereabouts. Abuse them like mad in the field, then clean, dry and polish them a few times when home. Might get another pair one day, but can't think why I would have too...

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
pierre Thanks! You reminded me of my Red Wings...they were bought for me as a gift and I wore them everyday for going on 15 years...when they were retired the origional laces were still intact!

I promised myself another pair of boots and forgot that promise last time I was in the USA...Maybe next year!

Best Regards,

:)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Martyn said:
The Borneo's are not goretex, just leather lined with a foam padding. Meindl do make a goretex version of the boot, it's called the Burma. :)

This is my second winter with my Borneo's, they've not seen a lot of use, but I really like em when I've used em. :)

I'm a borneo owner too, got them at the end of the spring as a leaving present from work. Have worn them in over the summer and havent had any problems with them being too hot with either a one or two season sock in them. Of coure when it got REALLY hot I wore my sandals. :cool:
Best hiking boots i've owned though. Certainly no need for goretex in them if you look after them.

I had a look at ScottC's boots that he won in the Bushcraft Expeditions competition last year. They are really cool and look really comfy for wear around the camp. Likewise about the ones that bison bushcraft have started doing.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
big_swede said:
Thank's for the material info. How long does a pair last? Do they survive a season?

What I was trying to ask, was like, how many kilometers you would use them for. Do you use them for longer hikes as well? To me, it looks like they would be a bit more unstable then hiking boots, which would make them a bit more exhausting to walk in with a heavy backpack.

A good pair of moose hide mocs will last for years - especially the winter mocs - as long as you don't walk on concrete, black top or too much rock. They have a surprisingly good grip on rock as long as it isn't wet. They are best for walking in trackless forest with good duff.

You'd think they were not good at supporting your feet, wouldn't you. I've not found that to be the case. You can tie them tight enough to give arch support, and given that you are not off the ground that extra inch or so, they seem plenty stable. If you have ankle support problems - and need a tight rigid upper to keep your ankle from twisting, they are probably not the foot wear for you. I have good ankles - probably from years of wearing moggasins. I love wearing them in the woods. The biggest problem is wet, but they are easily dried. I usually bring three pair when I'm out for several days.

As to how far - the Kek is probably 20 or 30 miles (?)

With most people - the problem with moggasins is making the mental leap.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
bushman762 said:
pierre Thanks! You reminded me of my Red Wings...they were bought for me as a gift and I wore them everyday for going on 15 years...when they were retired the origional laces were still intact!

I promised myself another pair of boots and forgot that promise last time I was in the USA...Maybe next year!

Best Regards,

:)

They are good boots. When I was young they were what people who lived and worked in the woods wore. Until the middle 1960s - you seldom saw another type of boot. Once a year - we'd get a new pair - though we were expected to go barefoot if possible.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i just bought my first pair of hiking boots today, they are karrimor ksb 300 S and i am impressed with them so far, im wearing them round the house to break them in
leon

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
I've got a pair of goretex north face trail running shoes - as long as i keep the upper clean (with a nailbrush, water and some bio soap) they keep my fee dry and breathing. i also wear two pairs of thin 'Wigwam' brand ankle socks. thicker, longer 'hiking' socks get sweaty.

and a pair of chaco brand sandals for the summer.

i'd like to get a pair of Lowa military boots, but without the gore-tex liner. can't seem to find them.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
For me it really depends on the weather.

In summer I like sandals. I have a pair at the moment with the Cat brand on them and they've lasted incredibly well.

Mid season at the moment I have Karrimor KSB shoes, Timberland boots and HiTec boots.

For the mud, cold and wet at the moment I'm using Karrimor Tornado boots. They have proven to be warm and dry in the recent rain and mud. Yesterday they were excellent in the snow and kept my feet completely dry

Karrimor_boots01.jpg

I'm another one who has had problems with the GoreTex lining breaking in my shoes. I've had several pairs of GoreTex lined shoes and the lining always starts to let in water before the shoe/boot has finished its useful life. I like GoreTex and always wear GoreTex clothing in wet weather but the shoes have always let me down. Now I use Sealskinz socks instead.

Those of you who go barefoot are really brave.

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
Big fan of Meindl, although the best pair of boots I ever had were a pair of Danner "acadia", cost me £90 in 1989, didn't have to break them in, never got a blister, and lasted for years. Ah, happy days.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I prefer to wear an all leather military style boot like Danner or Altberg boots preferably without GTX lining. If it is wet underfoot I wear a pair of Yeti Extreme gaiters which cover the whole boot, a bit of a pain to get on but once they are on they are the dog's dangly bits if you know what I mean.

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
Greg said:
I prefer to wear an all leather military style boot like Danner or Altberg boots preferably without GTX lining. If it is wet underfoot I wear a pair of Yeti Extreme gaiters which cover the whole boot, a bit of a pain to get on but once they are on they are the dog's dangly bits if you know what I mean.

Greg I definitely agree, Yeti gaiters are excellent, a bit pricey I guess, but worth it if you're out a lot this time of year.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
SunDog said:
Greg I definitely agree, Yeti gaiters are excellent, a bit pricey I guess, but worth it if you're out a lot this time of year.

I was lucky in that I had a 30% discount from Cotswold Camping whilst I was out in Norway! :D

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
tetra_neon said:
i'd like to get a pair of Lowa military boots, but without the gore-tex liner. can't seem to find them.

Here you go:- RVOps.

They are known as "Lowa Super Camp" or "Lowa Patrol". Both just variations on the original mountain boots.

The Lowa Patrol is lined with Cambrelle so it has some insulative properties.

The Super Camp is lined with soft (white) leather.

I believe they also do the high leg combat boots (called the "Mega Camp") but I've yet to see them here in the UK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE