What kind of shoes do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Wayland said:
Of course these are pretty difficult to beat at times..... :D

Caligae.jpg

a_Roman_caligae_pattern.jpg

and they have that special waterproof lining......what's it called now?.......

....ahh yes.... SKIN :lmao:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Wayland said:
My main problem with Goretex boots has been with durability.

They always seem to fall apart at the seams.

I suspect it is because gortex boots do not get the treatment with wax that leather boots do and the stitching rots. If you do wax them regularly, why bother with Goretex?

The other possibility is that the manufacturers treat these like all the other "fashion rambler" kit and make them for rapid customer replacement after a Summer seasons stolling around.

Either way, I prefer to break in a pair of decent leather boots and wear them to destruction, which with luck should be a couple of years minimum.

Call me old fashioned or what..... :rant:

My goretex boots have lasted me for 7 years of regular use (quite often daily) and they've just started leaking.The seams are fine - the problem is one of the creases you get at the toe/foot junction has worn through.

I'm quite impressed with how long they've lasted as I didn't think they would be as good as leather.

Oh, and the make is Line 7.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Out in the hills - hard walking - a pair of Scarpas or Karrimor KSB trainers (trainers if wet and scrambly); ordinary amble in the dales: a pair of Karrimor KSB trainers. For camping and general bushcrafty stuff - a pair of pull on aussie Blundstone workboots - which I wear to work every day (no laces to pfaff about with, but really convenient).

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
Boots, Goretex or not? I'm less likely to use gortex boots in the warmer weather, they are more prone to making my feet overheat. In the colder/wetter weather then goretex are great, I'm just back from 3 days up in Perthshire and with 2 out of the 3 days kicking it down with rain I'm very happy I took the goretex boots :)

I don't own a pair of all leather non goretex boots but I'd have a concern as to how they would have faired in heavy run and mud for a period of 2-3 days?

Quick nip off topic but I picked up a couple of pairs of KSB trainers from Soccer and Sport, they are doing them for around £20 a pair.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use the KSB trainers (shoes I call them, showing my age :rolleyes: ) got mine for £20 as well from Lillywhites in Piccadilly London, its now a discount store, back in june they were selling a load of Karrimor stuff very cheap, check the store out next time any on you are in London, well worth a visit :)

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Ahjno said:
Yes they are (bought them this year) - though I haven't waxed them yet. I'll keep it in mind and reply to you my outcome.

excellent! looking forward to hearing how discoloured they got ;)

make sure not to smear to much wax in between where the shoe meets the rubber sides if you know what I mean :)

A

Alfa

I use Meindle's Army Pro. They're about 7 years old now, never had a problem with them. Not cheap however, now they cost about 240 euros. That's about 160 £

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
themac said:
Boots, Goretex or not? I'm less likely to use gortex boots in the warmer weather, they are more prone to making my feet overheat. In the colder/wetter weather then goretex are great, I'm just back from 3 days up in Perthshire and with 2 out of the 3 days kicking it down with rain I'm very happy I took the goretex boots :)

I don't own a pair of all leather non goretex boots but I'd have a concern as to how they would have faired in heavy run and mud for a period of 2-3 days?

Quick nip off topic but I picked up a couple of pairs of KSB trainers from Soccer and Sport, they are doing them for around £20 a pair.

I've used a pair going through rain, mud, gravel and morain for a week+, didn't have a problem. But they did look a bit sad, not as sad as my friends cheap merrel gore-tex boots though. He burnt them before we got on the bus home.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Alfa said:
I use Meindle's Army Pro. They're about 7 years old now, never had a problem with them. Not cheap however, now they cost about 240 euros. That's about 160 £

I've used Meindl Performance for three years, and I really hate them! There completely worthless in cold weather, there even worse in hot weather, and the rubber rim is already destroyed after only three years. Not only that, but the gore-tex membrane is either clogged up or leaking, depending on location.

I've talked with the resellers here in sweden, and they will just give me a discount on new shoes, from meindl. I will never buy it again, warning for meindl! And after this I talked to some other guys, and everyone agreed that the lifespan where somewhere around 2-3 years, that's really crappy for a 280€ boot!!!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i use karrimor ksb boots with an eVent lining. very comfortable.
for tracking i use a pair of converse all stars
in winter it's usually a pair of proboots.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
big_swede said:
Just a wild guess, but there homemade, right? ;)

What materials is it? And mainly, what kind of leather? How far have you hiked in them?

I most often make moggasins of moose, but the pair on the left in the photo are from a fairly thick deer hide. Only trouble is deer hide stretches a lot more than moose. The uppers are made of canvas or wool, and the winter mocs are lined with a removable fulled double layer Hudson Bay blanket liner.

Not sure what you're asking.

I've hiked the kek in summer mocs - both ways, and portions of the Border Route Trail and the Superior Hiking Trail.

http://www.borderroutetrail.org/

With winter mocs I've done the Caribou Rock Trail, the Tomahawk Trail, Pow wow Trail, and others I can't remember the name of.

I've portaged many portages with mogasins. The winter mocs are usually used with snowshoes.

For boots, my favorite has always been Red Wing Irish Setters, though I haven't had a pair for years:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Brown-L...1QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48862QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PG

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
i have hi tech hiking boots. i like them but using bees wax to look after them has not been enough, now they look terrible, i need something to condition them too. if i was very fussy i would buy lighter shoes for everything except long walks or bad weather

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
pierre girard said:
I most often make moggasins of moose, but the pair on the left in the photo are from a fairly thick deer hide. Only trouble is deer hide stretches a lot more than moose. The uppers are made of canvas or wool, and the winter mocs are lined with a removable fulled double layer Hudson Bay blanket liner.

Not sure what you're asking.

PG

Thank's for the material info. How long does a pair last? Do they survive a season?

What I was trying to ask, was like, how many kilometers you would use them for. Do you use them for longer hikes as well? To me, it looks like they would be a bit more unstable then hiking boots, which would make them a bit more exhausting to walk in with a heavy backpack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE