What is the utilmate breakfast in the Bush?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
A brace of these:

av3.jpg

fried in butter with some chopped wild garlic takes some beating.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
PRKL, I'll need to have a go at making Stoke. That looks delicious.

I love Bratties (bratwurst). :D

Have you heard of an "Egg Banjo"?

It's a traditonal Army favourite. For anyone who hasn't heard of it use Google, as I can't do the explanation true justice.

All the best,

Liam

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fresh brewed coffee (no instant)

Followed by fluffy light pancakes of bannock mixture with duck egg beaten in, drizzled in maple syrup.

Red

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
SimonM does a great looking all-in-one fried breakfast in foil, one day I'll talk him into making me one.

Here you go Rich...

Use thick foil, with a double layer on the bottom.

On the foil place a layer of sliced potatoes (which are sacraficial if you leave it too long, but saute nicely if you get it right:D), then bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms.

If you make a "nest" from the sliced mushrooms, you can then crack an egg into it, stopping it from running everywhere.

Seal the pouch and drop it on the embers - I find that between 20 & 30 mins is enough, dependant on the bed of embers...

Once cooked, our scouts can slide the contents onto a piece of bread without dropping anything...another slice of bread on taop makes the perfect breakfast sarnie
SDC14038.jpg

Or you could go down the griddle route...
Middlewood-Feb2010mininmeet007.jpg

Enjoy!

Simon

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Just a light Autumn breakfast:

1. Smoked back bacon
2. Semi-wild hens eggs. (Not to be confused with shop-bought "free-range" variety.)
3. Sliced wild fungi.
4. Ten squirrel or rabbit kidneys.

5. Bannocks of the not too dumpy variety.

6. Coffee.

Cheers

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
PRKL, I'll need to have a go at making Stoke. That looks delicious.

I love Bratties (bratwurst). :D

Have you heard of an "Egg Banjo"?

It's a traditonal Army favourite. For anyone who hasn't heard of it use Google, as I can't do the explanation true justice.

All the best,

Liam

Egg banjo:eek:

Gotta check it out immediately as its morning and im hungry.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The best breakfasts are of course made from leftovers from the night before, so in order. It will have to be homemade pizza with extra spicy sausages bacon and melted cheese. Or Spicy pork chops with beef and three bean stew. Lastly wok cooked peppered chicken with bell peppers and egged rice.
All washed down with black coffee made from Guatemala elephant Beans and Indian sugar crystals
Followed by a two hour snooze

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Hey Stoo how come my slices of fried chorizo didnt get a mention?
thats cos they where lunch but where so good ive got a couple for this weekend comeing, seen a cool soup receipe that might be worth a try. I recall you had chicken and white wine sauce with new potatoes for breakfast!

Stooboy does a mean "exploding from the embers" egg wake up call I seem to remember.
funny was trying to be stealth to not wake others up, I definately read on here somewhere you can "boil" eggs in the embers...

The best breakfasts are of course made from leftovers

what are these leftovers you speak off? :D your obviously from a single child fammily.

Will be trying SimonM's foil wrap receipe this weekend.

ATB
Stoo.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
funny was trying to be stealth to not wake others up, I definately read on here somewhere you can "boil" eggs in the embers...

You can cook them in their shells, but you need to put a wee hole in the end of the shell to let the pressure out.

Otherwise, they go BANG!!! :D

Cheers mate,

Liam

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Upon reflection the best breakfast is one where the fried eggs don't take off down hill faster than a startled squirrel! And all because you either rushed the stove's setup or disturbed it when breaking the eggs!:eek:

Cheers

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Stoo, you are quite right im getting my lunch and breakie mixed up,think i will go the fry up route as well this weekend,will see what extra's i can think of to add.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Having benefited from Simon's largesse (or over-packing ;)) in the past, I can definitely vouch for his foil method - absolutely marvellous! :D

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
You can cook them in their shells, but you need to put a wee hole in the end of the shell to let the pressure out.

Otherwise, they go BANG!!! :D

Cheers mate,

Liam

I did put a small hole in the top, but i kinda turned it over to let the top of the egg cook a bit better, live and learn. good job the tarp was a bit back or could have been messy :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE