Day Out The end is nigh...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
It's ok, relax.. I just thought the title would fit in with a trend I have noticed on the forum of late...:happy:
The end of Summer I'm referring to as I've just seen a weather forecast for the week ahead, but the signs are there in nature anyway, at least locally.
There are plenty of routes to different woods close by, but I like to use a regular path because of the way the seasons register there. The views of the Lake now tell a story of drought conditions, the weed thick and water level low.

The first leaves have started to fall along the path and what I always think of as 'The green Glow' in the wood has dimmed a bit with the heat and lack of rain. The sun still lights the wood though and it's as beautiful as ever.

Today's wander was to investigate a possible bivvy site I spotted when out a couple of days ago. Into the wood via a stone ladder stile that was built into the Estate wall in the early 1800's

There are places within the woods which surround my home, where I occasionally manage to find old walls still standing in totally overgrown areas.

In the right angle formed by one such wall there is a sheltered place that with a bit of ground clearing will make a nice Winter bivvy spot. At the edge of the wood, it is sheltered from the strong South Westerly Gales which roar inland over the nearby cliff tops.

Out into the sunshine and another top up with yet more Vitamin C. For about the last Month all my wanderings have been delayed by the overwhelming urge to stop and stuff my face with Blackberries. A blood test would reveal I am 60 % Vitamin C and 40 % Tetleys Tea. :laugh:

A brew in the hot sunshine, listening to the creak of the Pines in the sea breeze and looking at the green lake in the distance.

Using the Meths burner in a US Army type cooker, I did as I always do when the water boils, snuff the burner, not with the Simmer Ring but with an empty Tuna tin courtesy of Mr Tesco. I find it's more effective..except today I made a lash up with poor aim. The burner, still alight and part full got knocked over. It is surprising how quickly the Meths spread into the grass and began a mini Bush Fire.

A good lesson. Obviously I don't use any fire where the grass is long or woodland floor littered, but if the grass had been long, with today's breeze, that tiny fire would have raced away and taken some effort to put out I would guess.
Just a couple of inches of scorched grass.

Soil turned over and watered ( the only patch of grass that has seen water for weeks)..:)

According to the Weatherman tomorrow is probably the last dry day for virtually all of us for some days. So, tin foil hats back under the bed and off to the woods with you...:roflmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's always a pleasure to read of your jaunts :) Today's sounds excellent :)
It's astonishing just how fast some thing like grass can go up though. My Dad once set up under a gorse bush.... and it got a spray from the Tilley and he said it went up like the biblical :rolleyes: He said it was just as well that it was raining because there was no putting it out.

Reactions: saxonaxe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE