What is the point off fly fishing just use bait

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I agree the fly can be cast and presented silently with minimal disturbance off the water, while bait plops and can spook very spooky fish .And in that scenario id use the fly ,but only in that scenario Every other situation id use bait "BAIT" is" KING" n always will be fish are for food not for sport.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Oh my good man. The point of the fly! It’s the purest form of fishing (imo). The satisfaction is second to none when you get that cast to roll on to the water beautifully, the fly plops down and either just fades away or sits there on the surface. And then there’s playing the fish in. Nothing like it on any other rod, it’s a total dance. Magic!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
And then there's making the fly :) - I have picked feathers from the bank of water, tied a fly, cast, and caught a trout - nothing compares to that. Anyway, a fly is just another form of lure - a sinking fly exactly like a lure.

I will only fish to eat - i.e. when I've caught my meal I stop fishing - whether that's sea fishing or game fishing.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Our rivers now are mostly horribly overfished and in grossly mismanaged.
But take a trip up to some of the wilder and more remote country on the West Coast of Scotland, the fish in the rivers there are so hungry they will literally jump out of the water to take a fishing fly caught in the riverside grass.
I reckon that has to be one of the easiest ways to fish.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I agree the fly can be cast and presented silently with minimal disturbance off the water, while bait plops and can spook very spooky fish .And in that scenario id use the fly ,but only in that scenario Every other situation id use bait "BAIT" is" KING" n always will be fish are for food not for sport.
Especially if you’re poaching and want them out the water and into your bag as quick as possible? ;)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why use a rod at all then? Nets & traps are far more efficient

Reactions: Poacherman

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Our rivers now are mostly horribly overfished and in grossly mismanaged.
But take a trip up to some of the wilder and more remote country on the West Coast of Scotland, the fish in the rivers there are so hungry they will literally jump out of the water to take a fishing fly caught in the riverside grass.
I reckon that has to be one of the easiest ways to fish.
No a worm or prawn is.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Oh my good man. The point of the fly! It’s the purest form of fishing (imo). The satisfaction is second to none when you get that cast to roll on to the water beautifully, the fly plops down and either just fades away or sits there on the surface. And then there’s playing the fish in. Nothing like it on any other rod, it’s a total dance. Magic!
The satisfaction off trout in my belly using best methods like "BAIT" beats fluff chucking for me at least bait can also be dehydrated to always be at hand.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
And then there's making the fly :) - I have picked feathers from the bank of water, tied a fly, cast, and caught a trout - nothing compares to that. Anyway, a fly is just another form of lure - a sinking fly exactly like a lure.

I will only fish to eat - i.e. when I've caught my meal I stop fishing - whether that's sea fishing or game fishing.
Iv caught on a self made lure like fly from peacock but I'm a lobworm man I store dehydrated assortment off lobworms,grubs,squid so Im always good for bait in a pinch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE