What is the point off fly fishing just use bait

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
If it’s for the table then I’ve no problem with it. But I now think that catch and release is just torturing them. It’s the reason I packed it in.
It seems that as fish are mute we don’t think the same as we would with other animals. Although I respect everyone’s right to think differently ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If this thread wasn't trolling, I don't know what is! ;)

I guess there should be recognition granted for having trolled on the subject of fishing, but still...:rolleyes:.

I hate seeing threads like this. They almost invariably follow the same pattern. "What's the point of X, why not, or just, use Y?" Even if there was an ounce of genuine curiosity in the question, inevitably the following posts make it look like the real reason for asking such questions is some kind of one-upmanship.

There are plenty of folk who fish with bait for whom fishing has no more point than it does for those that fish with flies. They all do it because, for them, it is fun, they enjoy the process and activity, even if there is no meal at the end of it. Just like people do lots of stuff for fun like playing instruments, playing billiards/darts/bowling, going camping, wood working, bird watching, or just watching sport on TV.

Anyway....I need to go back to my fly tying bench!:nana:

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
If it’s for the table then I’ve no problem with it. But I now think that catch and release is just torturing them. It’s the reason I packed it in.
It seems that as fish are mute we don’t think the same as we would with other animals. Although I respect everyone’s right to think differently ;)
Exactly Mike I'm in total agreement with U there.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan

I guess there should be recognition granted for having trolled on the subject of fishing, but still...:rolleyes:.

I hate seeing threads like this. They almost invariably follow the same pattern. "What's the point of X, why not, or just, use Y?" Even if there was an ounce of genuine curiosity in the question, inevitably the following posts make it look like the real reason for asking such questions is some kind of one-upmanship.

There are plenty of folk who fish with bait for whom fishing has no more point than it does for those that fish with flies. They all do it because, for them, it is fun, they enjoy the process and activity, even if there is no meal at the end of it. Just like people do lots of stuff for fun like playing instruments, playing billiards/darts/bowling, going camping, wood working, bird watching, or just watching sport on TV.

Fishing for sport is cruel though n flyfishing does have a sport element catch n release should be illegal.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan

I accept 6 off your hand tied flys in the mail as a token off your recognition towards me I shall use them with wor ms on the fly hooks best off both worlds.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Why use a rod at all then? Nets & traps are far more efficient
Exactly but not legal unfortunately for me.
No comment iv never poached whistling....
Through your frequent and carefully worded posting, not to mention your chosen screen name, I doubt anyone would believe that you don't poach. If you really don't, you have certainly gone to a lot of trouble to create the impression that you do.

As such, don't be surprised if your thoughts on fishing morals and ethics don't get much attention.
Fishing for sport is cruel though n flyfishing does have a sport element catch n release should be illegal.

It isn't like killing and eating a fish means that hooking and hauling it out of water is any less cruel. You have just found a reason to justify it to yourself. If you have issue with sport fishing, why not take aim at the chaps that catch canal roach, tench and bream only to put them in a keep net for the day?

I fish rarely, and it is even rarer that I do catch and release, and I am really not interested in a debate. However I can recommend:
https://www.flyfishing.co.uk/forums/
If you think you are onto something, why not go debate the ethics of fishing for the pot with nets vs catch and release on one of these. Maybe you can change some minds there.

Reactions: Toddy and Kepis

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Through your frequent and carefully worded posting, not to mention your chosen screen name, I doubt anyone would believe that you don't poach. If you really don't, you have certainly gone to a lot of trouble to create the impression that you do.

As such, don't be surprised if your thoughts on fishing morals and ethics don't get much attention.

It isn't like killing and eating a fish means that hooking and hauling it out of water is any less cruel. You have just found a reason to justify it to yourself. If you have issue with sport fishing, why not take aim at the chaps that catch canal roach, tench and bream only to put them in a keep net for the day?

I fish rarely, and it is even rarer that I do catch and release, and I am really not interested in a debate. However I can recommend:
https://www.flyfishing.co.uk/forums/
If you think you are onto something, why not go debate the ethics of fishing for the pot with nets vs catch and release on one of these. Maybe you can change some minds there.
I have tried exposing how pointless \cruel catch and rele ase is it always falls on deaf ears .Britain is to steeped in sporting traditions, same with shooting and gamekeepers killing birds off prey and foxes and badgers with stink pits but not all gamekeepers are bad. The subject off ethics laws morals poachers? Keepers? Bushcrafters? Survivalists? Ect is a steep one even walking up kinder scout was illegal once opinions come n go but Britain will never change.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I agree the fly can be cast and presented silently with minimal disturbance off the water, while bait plops and can spook very spooky fish .And in that scenario id use the fly ,but only in that scenario Every other situation id use bait "BAIT" is" KING" n always will be fish are for food not for sport.
I carn t argue u have a point.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I have tried exposing how pointless \cruel catch and rele ase is it always falls on deaf ears .Britain is to steeped in sporting traditions, same with shooting and gamekeepers killing birds off prey and foxes and badgers with stink pits but not all gamekeepers are bad. The subject off ethics laws morals poachers? Keepers? Bushcrafters? Survivalists? Ect is a steep one even walking up kinder scout was illegal once opinions come n go but Britain will never change.
A very fair point.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Each to their own. Here the emphasis is heavily on catch and release, very few anglers actually fish for food.

The other attraction that appeals to a lot of anglers with fly fishing is the skill of actually laying the fly accurately where you want it to.
Why make life harder for yourself seems counterproductive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE