Fort williams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Everyone's got to learn at some point. There's a few of us more mature folk who learnt by trial and error, before the days of the Internet.

Mobile phone signals can be patchy, register for the Emergency SMS.........http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/registering_your_mobile_phone.php
Not just for yourself, you never know you may need it to help someone else!

No map = no wandering off into the far wilds or mountains, the weather can change very dramatically and very suddenly, people can die of hypothermia even in summer.
Keep hydrated, it can also get very hot, heat exhaustion/sunstroke can get you as well.

Scoman's right about the midge, head net at the least or pick yourself up a Beatons midge jacket, just over £20 will be money well spent, they are in Inveraray.

Keep your brain in gear, stay safe, have fun and enjoy yourself.

The only thing I could add to this sound advice is that given that the OP has alluded to some mental health issues and clearly doesn't take kindly to being told how to live his life, he should take some time to consider and perhaps rehearse how he will deal with a scenario in which someone (possibly an armed gamekeeper or farmer) profers some advice regarding his plans based on local experience and/or requests that he relocates his camp from their land.

Getting irritated with people on an Internet forum who disagree with you is one thing but kicking off with comments like "You have no idea who I am or what I am capable of", in the real world can end badly. :(

Good luck and stay safe - or not if you prefer! :)

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I must be honest, but I fail to see what the real dangers are in my plan. I'll never be more than a few miles from the car, which means I'll be near a road and people. I'm also visiting largely touristy places so it's not like I'll be completely on my own so to speak, and I'm not intending to do any dangerous activities like felling trees or scaling mountains. Best to look at it as a weekend camping trip in the woods outside of town. I'll be back to the car every couple of days to find a new place to visit.

And as to the comments about making things difficult for myself, well with that kind of mindset, why does this forum exist? Simply using a firesteel or even a wood fire is making it difficult for myself when there is no need. The only piece of equiptment I have no experience with is my tent, and I do not even plan to use that unless I decide that a hammock really isn't for me, and even then I intend to use it as a bivvy bag if it proves to be the case (dd travel hammock with waterproof base). As has been said, it is not really a case of too much kit making it unpleasant, because anything surplus to needs will be left in the car. One 2-day period I can use my honey stove, the next I can try a hexistove etc. In essence these really are just small trips to get used to things, except all the trips are happening in quick succession.

I think that people are blowing things way out of proportion. This is not the Franklin expedition, it is essentially a guy walking a mile into the woods and cooking some food and whittling some wood for a couple of days (and my entire working life has been with knives, cleavers etc, so while accidents can still happen, it's not like I'm some daft sod who's going to chop his thumb off not knowing which side of the blade is sharp etc) and then returning to "civilization" before trying it again.

I spent the first 18 years of my life on a farm in the countryside, have worked for years with knives as a butcher, fishmonger, and chef, and have just finished university with a 1st class degree. I'm not some divvy who doesn't know his bum from his mouth, I'm pretty sure I can manage :)

And finally, as I mentioned, this wasn't about advice, I just thought I'd start a thread letting the people who contributed ideas in my now-nuked planning thread know what I'd chosen to do. I figured it would be a polite thing to do given they made the effort to offer ideas in the first place. Sorry if I've upset anyone or caused a ruckus.

And yes, I'm perfectly aware of the difference between the internet and real life ;) The point being that my written word is very different to me in real life (not that many would know because I am largely a recluse in real life :) ). I'm aware that I can come off as a bit of a **** online, as do many people with this mental issue/gift, can be hard to interpret and express things in the most appropriate manner (and can be hard enough as it is for perfectly normal people due to lack of media richness) , so I appologise.

Last edited:

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Very interesting strategy indeed. I hope you make it back with either footage or pics and write a trip report, will be a very engaging read..! :)

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Oh, and just weighed out the bag and it is about 11kg without water. Add another 3-4kg for water, food, and the fishing rod/tackle. Not too bad at all imo. I'll probably ache to start with, but just need a few days of wearing it to get my body used to not spending its life sat at a computer.

And I received a galaxy s7 today to replace my htc m7, so should be able to take some decent photos. But I refuse to take a selfie! :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I take it you're going to get all the appropriate rod licences and fishing permits as well as landowners permissions to fish on their land if you're inland.

As for the rest of it it's your life just don't put others in risk or harms way by being so flippant and gung ho in your approach to your trip.

The SAR and Mountain rescue teams have enough to deal with genuine emergencies without having to deal with the multitude of idiots who go out inexperienced, unprepared, under equipped and not a care about common sense and safety.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I take it you're going to get all the appropriate rod licences and fishing permits as well as landowners permissions to fish on their land if you're inland.

As for the rest of it it's your life just don't put others in risk or harms way by being so flippant and gung ho in your approach to your trip.

The SAR and Mountain rescue teams have enough to deal with genuine emergencies without having to deal with the multitude of idiots who go out inexperienced, unprepared, under equipped and not a care about common sense and safety.

Spot on Sir

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London

No licence is required, no permit required, no permission requided, no one is at risk other than myself, and I'll be quite alright thanks. Yet again, this isn't some kind of Franklin expedition, I'm simply going camping for a few days at a time, a mile or two from my car, with the hope of possibly catching a fish or two.

I understand the notion of caution and such, but humans have been capable of leaving the house and not getting hurt for a number of years now I believe; without the need for GPS, antiseptics, tents, compasses, flashlights etc etc etc. It's not possible to deny that we've become an utterly namby pamby race in many western countries.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Make sure you get some photos from your trip. I genuinely look forward to your trip report if you do one.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I missed your initial planning thread, could you revive it?

Initially I thought you are a 100% pure Londoner but you do seem to know a thing or two about Mother Nature!

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I missed your initial planning thread, could you revive it?

Initially I thought you are a 100% pure Londoner but you do seem to know a thing or two about Mother Nature!

Nope. Somerset through and through, grew up in fields, most days were spent playing on the farm. Only moved to London at 25 because I opted to go to university and my partner lives in London. Despise the place. I try and spend as much of my sumers as I can messing about on Exmoor, but figured I'd take the opportunity to visit Scotland before I go and get sucked into a city job.

No idea if I'm able to resurect the thread. It just vanished from the sub-forum as they seem to do. Essentially though it was just an "I fancy going out including foraging/fishing" thread, and some members offering sugggestions, with forrest_girls suggestion of Fort William being the one I settled on, largely because of the sea fishing and beauty of the area.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
No licence is required, no permit required, no permission requided,

Wrong,

It is a legal requirement to have a rod licence if you fish fresh water within England, Wales and the Border Esk area of Scotland.

You also have to have landowners permission if fishing on private land.

It is also illegal to remove fish without written permission from the landowner.

For the rest of Scotland you don't need a rod licence but you do need landowners written permission to take fish.

Rod Licence requirements on GOV.UK

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Wrong,

It is a legal requirement to have a rod licence if you fish fresh water within England, Wales and the Border Esk area of Scotland.

You also have to have landowners permission if fishing on private land.

It is also illegal to remove fish without written permission from the landowner.

For the rest of Scotland you don't need a rod licence but you do need landowners written permission to take fish.

Rod Licence requirements on GOV.UK

As the son of an avid fisherman and lawyer, I am well aware of the legalities. I will not need a license or permission for what I intend to do.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, good idea to indulge in a bit of Nature before you are stuck in a job.
But remember, even with a city job, you have pretty close to some wonderful English countryside close. Both Sussex'es and Kent have some nice areas. Maybe not so wild as Scotland, but still nice, and your GF might enjoy it too!

Pity about the vanished thread, I would have enjoyed it ( without any heated participation).

Where I live, bushcrafting or Nature enjoyment is impossible.

Nope. Somerset through and through, grew up in fields, most days were spent playing on the farm. Only moved to London at 25 because I opted to go to university and my partner lives in London. Despise the place. I try and spend as much of my sumers as I can messing about on Exmoor, but figured I'd take the opportunity to visit Scotland before I go and get sucked into a city job.

No idea if I'm able to resurect the thread. It just vanished from the sub-forum as they seem to do. Essentially though it was just an "I fancy going out including foraging/fishing" thread, and some members offering sugggestions, with forrest_girls suggestion of Fort William being the one I settled on, largely because of the sea fishing and beauty of the area.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Alas the car is my mum's old one I'm borrowing. In London it becomes fairly expensive to pay for the transport out to the countryside, so is very much an irregular persuit. My partner has been trying to persuade me for 3 years that Hyde Park and such are comparable to the likes of exmoor. Darn city folk :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Women. She needs a long weekend in a tent in a very romantic place. Seven Sisters Nat. Park maybe?

We spent our Honeymoon in the Lofoten Islands.
She was on the shore waving at me to stop fishing and come back to shore and do my Marital Duties, and I waved back 'fishing is good'!
I went back to the same place twice a year since.
Took her 23 years to be persuaded to return with me. She loves it there now!

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Get out and do it and enjoy it. Tell all when you return with plenty of pics :) As you say, you are only going to be a few miles from your car ... it's a bit like camping in the garden really !

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Women. She needs a long weekend in a tent in a very romantic place. Seven Sisters Nat. Park maybe?

We spent our Honeymoon in the Lofoten Islands.
She was on the shore waving at me to stop fishing and come back to shore and do my Marital Duties, and I waved back 'fishing is good'!
I went back to the same place twice a year since.
Took her 23 years to be persuaded to return with me. She loves it there now!

Haha. Legend. She's done DoE in the lake district etc, but somehow has convinced herself it's the same thing. I think it's more that she is just hoping I'm naive enough to let her persuade me that London is perfectly accommodating for the country bumpkins. Last time we went camping though, in Amsterdam next to the water, at the end of November, I near froze to death. Somebody though a sleeping bag was surplus to requirements. Being the gentleman I am, I gave her mine and slept under a wool blanket. Didn't help that she had had emergency surgery the day before we left, so couldnt warm ourselves up.. I'll be giving her a strict checklist next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE