Fort williams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Wow, this forum recycles threads rather fast.

Anyway, following my planning thread, I'm up to Scotland at the weekend until the 6th of July.

The prefix is challenge, because I've camped about twice in my life, in crystal Palace campsite, and at Zeeburg in Amsterdam. So tenting really. Gas stoves, mostly meals out, I've never even lit a fire outdoors before. Although I did make a big batch of char cloth today in my honey stove (in the wood burner :p).

I've opted to take the trial and error approach, which many will not agree with. I've not even read up on how to rig a tarp or hammock, and fully intend to just learn through trying. The same goes for my food. I've got a kilo or two of jerky, and a bunch of rice, seeds, nuts, pasta pouches, but my intention is to have fish. So with no real fishing experience other than failing to fly fishing with a broken wrist a decade or so ago, I've got a spinner and various tackle, and will see what happens. I do not know bushcraft knots or fishing knots. Not even taking a map. It will be interesting.

My plans(ha!) are to leave Somerset, head north to the Welsh coast near Liverpool, wild camp overnight, and then head to the lake district the next day and explore for a few days and wild camp, and then head up to the Fort William area and just see what happens. Funds depending I may buy a ticket for unlimited ferry use and explore the western Scottish Isles, and then on the 5th start making my way back to Somerset to meet the issues and then spend a final week on exmoor, then back to London for graduation.

It will also be a challenge in that I've the strength of a mouse. I've been sat at a desk almost every day for 3 years. Final year at uni saw me working pretty much every day of the week from September to May. I've also drunk (5 to 6 pints) every single night for the past 11 years, and smoked for the past 8. This trip will be smoke and booze free.

I've all my kit though. Will be carrying hammock and tarp as well as a tent, fishing gear, axe, saw, knives, 3 stoves, zebra, army mess tins, basically different variations of everything just to give it all a go. It's going to be heavy but interesting. Might also take the provisions needed to give cold smoking a try.

Very much a challenge, just how I like things. Looking forward to it though! Got my notebook, and hopefully my new phone arrives soon so I can document the trip well and do a write up.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Why so much equipment?

Too heavy a weight will make your trip less pleasurable.

I would bring smokes with me. You need a puff or two in the evening, to round off the day!

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Because I've yet to try any of it so would like to see which methods I prefer most. Bought it a few years ago and never got to use any of it (don't even k ow how to pitch my tent, always just used a day glo pink hello kitty job with the missus haha) . I'll be in the car each time I go somewhere new I can leave stuff in the car depending on what I fancy trying. As it is though it all fits in my old ten tours rucksack and is to too heavy. Maybe it's the lack of food which is helping the weight (i eat one meal a day just before bed, don't take up space with tea and coffee etc).

And nope, no smokes. I told myself that I'd quit after uni and that's the plan. I might take the magic flight launch box though ;) I do intend to visit a distillery though as a one off treat.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Here we go again. Why do you think k I'm joking? This isn't a thread asking for advice, if you don't like the way I approach life, then no need to get involved. It's Scotland, not the Amazon rain forest.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If it's to be an honest but heavy shake-down trip, you need more calories than just a single meal per day.
Meal time is think time = what you need/don't need. No meal prep for the first few days will help.
Hard boil some eggs. Smoke? Walk it off.

I applaud your decision to quit smoking. Non-smokers have no clue what a challenge, a battle, it is, no matter how you did it.
I quit last August. I can tell you 2 things: 1. the phlegmy cough does go away. 2. The craving NEVER stops. That's the war to be won.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Here we go again. Why do you think k I'm joking? This isn't a thread asking for advice, if you don't like the way I approach life, then no need to get involved. It's Scotland, not the Amazon rain forest.

It's not a case of your joking, your're on about heading out into some inhospitality country with no experience or knowledge or plan, not the best start imho

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
My dietary schedule is counter to every bit of nutritional advice out there, but it works for me given my metabolism and such. If I can work 16 hours shifts in a 40C kitchen without a break and nothing but water and a banana, then I'm fairly sure I can manage a bit of walking and a lot of sitting. I'm not on some coast to coast timed hike, I'm going to meander along the water, fish for a bit, make camp and sit around doing little to nothing.

To those who dont like the way I approach my life, just move along. I do not need your approval, and in fact I pity you if you feel a need to plan every aspect in advance. That's not living. And risks involved, sure, my risks, not yours. I'm perfectly capable of making g my own considered decisions whether you agree with them or not. You have no idea who I am or what I am capable of.

I remember now why I left this forum a year or two back. I won't bother with photos or a writeup, clearly its "our way or the highway" on this forum.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016

It is not about your approach to life, it is your way to approach danger.

Sorry if I upset you.

I hope I will not have to read about you in Daily Mail.

Good Luck!

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Because (don't even k ow how to pitch my tent, always just used a day glo pink hello kitty job with the missus haha) (i eat one meal a day just before bed, don't take up space with tea and coffee etc).

Well, I will be honest, heading out without even test pitching your your tent is foolhardy at the very least, why not try some short trips learning?

whats a magic flight launch box?

or are you just looking for an argument?

PS. feel free to PM me if you need any clarification of any points.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I'm quite capable of pitching a tent in the pitch black without instructions. 2 poles and some pegs, it isn't rockets science. And should I somehow become idiot of the year, it isnt that hard to slip into a hammock designed to work as a bivvy bag. And yes, I approach life and danger in a different way to others. And it works for me. And I wouldn't have it any other way. This forum would have you believe you ant do bushcraft without having a brew on the go.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
My dietary schedule is counter to every bit of nutritional advice out there, but it works for me given my metabolism and such. If I can work 16 hours shifts in a 40C kitchen without a break and nothing but water and a banana, then I'm fairly sure I can manage a bit of walking and a lot of sitting. I'm not on some coast to coast timed hike, I'm going to meander along the water, fish for a bit, make camp and sit around doing little to nothing.

To those who dont like the way I approach my life, just move along. I do not need your approval, and in fact I pity you if you feel a need to plan every aspect in advance. That's not living. And risks involved, sure, my risks, not yours. I'm perfectly capable of making g my own considered decisions whether you agree with them or not. You have no idea who I am or what I am capable of.

I remember now why I left this forum a year or two back. I won't bother with photos or a writeup, clearly its "our way or the highway" on this forum.

A, Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
2, If you are so convinced that you are correct don't bother to waste anybodys time asking advice just get on with it.
iii, I wont be reading any more about you on here. i hope that you dont waste local SAR time too.

out

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
A, Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
2, If you are so convinced that you are correct don't bother to waste anybodys time asking advice just get on with it.
iii, I wont be reading any more about you on here. i hope that you dont waste local SAR time too.

out

If you read my posts, i was quite explicit in that I was not asking for advice and I was just doing it. I find this forums negativity rather amusing. I recall the ridicule I got for keeping fishing hooks at hand as a last resort needle and thread for cuts. Lo and behold, it works just great.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Dude , just get on with it. If you dont want advice just don't post in the first place. You asked, people will respond, do it, get on with it, don't ask for validation. You are clearly more proficient and experienced than anyone else. So go off in a quiet and dignified manner and enjoy your experience.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Being in one of the professions that does stitch people up, I would love to see you stitching up your own body using a fish hook and line. The line is fine, we sometimes do use a similar one, but how on earth are you managing to push the eye through the skin?

Our needles have a triangular cutting edge, and come with the thread attached in a hollow portion of the needle. Less trauma or the skin.

the old needles that needed the suture to be threaded through, the eye had a special design with channels on each side for the suture.

Being an avid fisherman I have managed to hook myself untold times over the years. I carry equipment so I can cut off the eye and thread the rest of the hook through the skin.

Please remember, people in this Forum have vast experiences.
Do not frown on it, or on us willing to share with you. We learned from somebody else. And our mistakes.

How much does your pack weigh?

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Dude , just get on with it. If you dont want advice just don't post in the first place. You asked, people will respond, do it, get on with it, don't ask for validation. You are clearly more proficient and experienced than anyone else. So go off in a quiet and dignified manner and enjoy your experience.

I never once asked for advice or validation . This was purely a this is what's planned (or not) thread, to see if there would be any interest in me posting up a lo g report thread as a newbie as they would say. And I'm most likely the most inexperienced member of this forum. But I dknt learn through books, but by doing, and I always try a d go all out. My past has made it near impossible to find pleasure in anything, hence the alcohol and need to sow myself up. But I find great pleasure in approaching a completely foreign activity and just giving g it my all and seeing what happens.

Being in one of the professions that does stitch people up, I would love to see you stitching up your own body using a fish hook and line. The line is fine, we sometimes do use a similar one, but how on earth are you managing to push the eye through the skin?

Our needles have a triangular cutting edge, and come with the thread attached in a hollow portion of the needle. Less trauma or the skin.

the old needles that needed the suture to be threaded through, the eye had a special design with channels on each side for the suture.

Being an avid fisherman I have managed to hook myself untold times over the years. I carry equipment so I can cut off the eye and thread the rest of the hook through the skin.

Please remember, people in this Forum have vast experiences.
Do not frown on it, or on us willing to share with you. We learned from somebody else. And our mistakes.

How much does your pack weigh?

Squash it and yank like hell. The scars are scary but it did the job at the time. Last time I checked into a hospital was about 15 years ago. Sticky tape and paper towel is my go to.

Pack weight? Not a clue. It's a 65l pack, with external kit, but the tent is the one thing that isn't included, and it feels perfectly manageable. Before I was a chef I was a butcher d fishmonger, I'm not strong, but used to bearing a significant load of meat or ice. Stamina, not strength.

A d I don't deny that there are folk o this forum who are experts in their field etc, but I have to try things for myself. I'm not normal in any aspect, I appreciate and love that. I'm unconventional me.

Just to try and nip this in the bud before it becomes a pissing contest. I'm not trying g to say I know better, I'm not intending to trivialise your knowledge, I'm not asking for advice. I'm not a regular guy, I'm unconventional, but it works for me and it is one of the few things I love about myself. And it works. At the end of the day, the most reassuring fact beyond that, is that my parents know of my capabilities and the risks, given their experience, and despite being the kind to contact me in distress if they haven't heard from me for 4 days, they are ecstatic about me doing this trip in the way I've chosen.

If there is any interest I'll attempt to keep a journal, else I'll just do my own thing and leave you guys and girls to it and not cause any more trouble.

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia

If you didn't want anyone's comments or advice, why did you post on a public forum? Or online at all?

Do what you like, but I suspect that at best, your going to have a slightly miserable time of it, or a very lucky near miss. At worst, its the local search and rescue and a near death experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE