Fort williams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mack13

Jul 15, 2013
Wiltshire
Snowdon is lovely but I reckon nothing compared to where you are now. I'll be heading up to Wasdale head (just south of where you are) in two weeks to walk the Scafell mountains. So looking forward to it..
Nice pictures BTW. =)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
That looks nice. The weather up here has been a bit pants and the forecasters have had issues getting it right. I was expecting rain today which whilst it threatened and local indicators were all for rain it never materialised. Looks like you're having a ball down there though.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Oysters, prawns, ur hind and fish are nice raw...
A squeeze of Lime can do the trick.[/QUOTE ]

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39882381

Have never been a fan of raw fish, but after reading this article about the increase in parasite infections linked to more people eating sushi, I am a lot less keen on the idea. Not trying to put anyone off, just worth bearing in mind if you don't feel well a few days after eating such a meal.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Wow, this forum recycles threads rather fast.

Anyway, following my planning thread, I'm up to Scotland at the weekend until the 6th of July.

The prefix is challenge, because I've camped about twice in my life, in crystal Palace campsite, and at Zeeburg in Amsterdam. So tenting really. Gas stoves, mostly meals out, I've never even lit a fire outdoors before. Although I did make a big batch of char cloth today in my honey stove (in the wood burner :p).

I've opted to take the trial and error approach, which many will not agree with. I've not even read up on how to rig a tarp or hammock, and fully intend to just learn through trying. The same goes for my food. I've got a kilo or two of jerky, and a bunch of rice, seeds, nuts, pasta pouches, but my intention is to have fish. So with no real fishing experience other than failing to fly fishing with a broken wrist a decade or so ago, I've got a spinner and various tackle, and will see what happens. I do not know bushcraft knots or fishing knots. Not even taking a map. It will be interesting.

My plans(ha!) are to leave Somerset, head north to the Welsh coast near Liverpool, wild camp overnight, and then head to the lake district the next day and explore for a few days and wild camp, and then head up to the Fort William area and just see what happens. Funds depending I may buy a ticket for unlimited ferry use and explore the western Scottish Isles, and then on the 5th start making my way back to Somerset to meet the issues and then spend a final week on exmoor, then back to London for graduation.

It will also be a challenge in that I've the strength of a mouse. I've been sat at a desk almost every day for 3 years. Final year at uni saw me working pretty much every day of the week from September to May. I've also drunk (5 to 6 pints) every single night for the past 11 years, and smoked for the past 8. This trip will be smoke and booze free.

I've all my kit though. Will be carrying hammock and tarp as well as a tent, fishing gear, axe, saw, knives, 3 stoves, zebra, army mess tins, basically different variations of everything just to give it all a go. It's going to be heavy but interesting. Might also take the provisions needed to give cold smoking a try.

Very much a challenge, just how I like things. Looking forward to it though! Got my notebook, and hopefully my new phone arrives soon so I can document the trip well and do a write up.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/51/512e206fbb6ad999be376588d40784cdc422f9d8c2fdbbb67b75b3f9a8aaba56.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would not worry too much. I have been eating stuff like that for over 40 years. The main aspect is that it has to be super fresh. Collect or fish yourself, eat within minutes and the risk is negligible.

I offered some Mackerel Sashimi ( fish lived less than one hour before) with Tamari sauce, real grated Wasabi and pickled ginger to my frieds in Norway.
They almost threw up. They do not even touch cooked Mackerel, eating raw was just unthinkable.
It was good.

having lived in UK I am not allowed to give blood here, rish of vCJD (Mad Cow Disease if in a woman) is to high they say.

Oysters, prawns, ur hind and fish are nice raw...
A squeeze of Lime can do the trick.[/QUOTE ]

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39882381

Have never been a fan of raw fish, but after reading this article about the increase in parasite infections linked to more people eating sushi, I am a lot less keen on the idea. Not trying to put anyone off, just worth bearing in mind if you don't feel well a few days after eating such a meal.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE