What do you keep your knives in?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock

Feb 20, 2011
Scotland
Hi, I was wondering if any of you had a clever solution for something to keep your carving tools in. I have them all in a dry bag, mainly to keep them safe and dry in the canoe. It must be said though, that it doesn't look good and it is pretty annoying to get things in and out of.

Has anyone made a clever bag/box to keep them in?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
At home the big tools are locked in my closet and the smaller ones in metal container and drawers.

The wife seems to have an issue with them being littered about the place..

If I'm out and about usually out of sight in pockets/bag.

Robbi put all his in a big metal tool box with trays, seems to work for him and his massive collection!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A few of the guys use the stanley fat max tool boxes in the canoe for keeping kit in. They have a water seal and double as a good seat around camp.

If only they would fit in my kayak....

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
I use quite a few of the 8 pocket tool rolls from Toolpost. They are not the best quality, but are dry, very cheap and do the job. I normally unpick the flap and remove it. Preferring to fold over the back to keep the tools in place.( Depends on the length of the tools) As they are only £5.38, I don't mind putting a few drops of clove oil in the pockets to protect the tools further.Fully loaded they fit nicely into dry sacks or Bergan side pooches.

Bottom of the page, bright orange things made by Silverline, also sold by Toolstation. They will make you look like you've been 'Tango'ed if you get them wet.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Woodworking_Tools/Tool_Storage/tool_storage.html

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use shoe boxes at home or a leather roll for trips, I only tend to take one knife with me usually though.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've got a couple of wooden wine boxes, they hold 6 bottles, in 2 layers, so 3 compartments on the bottom, a tray that has 3 compartments on the top of that.

Rob

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
One knife on my belt and maybe another in a pack when I'm out, depending on where and for how long.
For your application, the tool rolls shown by JJJ would be ideal to keep things organized. Then put them in one of these
http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/th...30L_harness_hooligan.jpg&height=250&width=250
The 30L canoe barrel is perfect for you for keeping everything clean and dry while canoeing. And if you capsize, these barrels will float with all your valuables kept safe and sound, not to mention having room for other stuff as well.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
At home mine are kept on a high shelf since I found my three year old grandson taking great interest in a clipper (still in sheath) he'd found in a draw under my computer desk, no harm done but I nearly cacked my trews.

I take one knife camping, Mora type of thing but its the little folder in my pocket that is most used to be honest.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Higher management has a 'thing' - which even she acknowledges is irrational - that my few knives should be kept in some kind of secure cabinet. Currently they are in the garage with the rest of my kit in (labled) bags on shelving ready for use.

She has a fear that someone will break in to the garage, steal the knives and go on a rampage - yes we know kitchen knives are more readily available - I did say it was irrational (and acknowledged as such) but ......... does anyone have any bright ideas for secure storage that is effective but also cheap?

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
When I carve, I sit on my sofa with one of those shakespeare seat boxes between my legs. It catches most of the shavings. Currently my knives are in that with birch sheaths. I'm considering making a cross between a tool roll and one of those TV control sofa caddies so the can live in the box, but hang on the inside so I don't have to root for them. My mora is always in the pack and my enzo trapper is still on the workroom shelf awaiting a sheath.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... does anyone have any bright ideas for secure storage that is effective but also cheap?

I think I'd hide them Chris. If you get some sort of secure cabinet it will just advertise the fact that you've got something in there worth stealing, even if you haven't. If you fix it to the wall the amount of damage that might be done when some scrote tries to pry it loose doesn't bear thinking about. A gun cabinet would be far too big. I could weld something up for you but I honestly think you'd be better off taping a shoe box under the sofa or something like that.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for the comments, and the offer. I'm inclined towards the 'store them out of sight but not obviouis' approach and will discuss with HM. At the very least I can make sure that the bag labled 'KNIVES/SAW' is not on show.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
mine are all in a large aluminium case hidden in plain site regards dave: theyareon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE