No Spoon Knife Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Sorting through a few old photos this morning and rediscovered this little teaspoon.

I made this small Hazel spoon back in 2015, the idea came from a blog post by Jon Mac (Spoon Carving First Steps) about carving a spoon without a spoon knife, simple solution is to burn the bowl in with the spindle on a bow drill, gives a perfectly round bowl, of any depth you want (depending on your arm power) and as a bonus it's sealed and polished too, must admit i like the contrast between the light wood and the dark bowl.

53391196310_df8ed8409a_o.jpg

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Sorting through a few old photos this morning and rediscovered this little teaspoon.

I made this small Hazel spoon back in 2015, the idea came from a blog post by Jon Mac (Spoon Carving First Steps) about carving a spoon without a spoon knife, simple solution is to burn the bowl in with the spindle on a bow drill, gives a perfectly round bowl, of any depth you want (depending on your arm power) and as a bonus it's sealed and polished too, must admit i like the contrast between the light wood and the dark bowl.

53391196310_df8ed8409a_o.jpg
Why haven't i thought of this before. What a genius way to make a spoon in the field. I'll be doing that the next time I head into the forest for a camp. Thanks!

Reactions: Toddy and Kepis

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Many years ago before spoon carving was a popular past time in this country, I carved lots of teaspoons for my archery club. We always seemed to lack them in the club hut and I would whittle them as I walked around the field course. The bowls were carved just with the tip of my knife and the belly was used to scrap the bowl to finished (taking out most of the marks). Of course these days, we all have special hooks, gouges or drills to do that job more efficiently, but needs must. :D

In addition to burning bowls (which I've tried but never had the patience for), I've seen somebody (Dean maybe?) carving a no-hook spook. It had a triangular bowl and could be done completely with a straight blade. Very cool idea

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have made spoons by burning the bowls in with embers - both in "home" mode where I had all the tool options to hand but chose burning and once in the field when one of the team I was leading on exped in South Africa lost his kfs in the sand on the first day out canoeing down the Orange River. He used that spoon for the rest of the exped.
The first spoon I carved was done just with a basic SAK and I keep it as a reminder that sometimes enthusiasm and lack of skill can still produce a usable (if not attractive) results!
On the coast spoons are easy - lots of shells seve very nicely without any work to them!

Reactions: Kepis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE