What do you keep in your billy?

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I have just bought a 1l tatonka kettle/billy and can't decide what to carry in it whilst it's packed in my rucksack. Just wondering what you guys fill yours with.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Good Question! Its very handy for keeping a bow saw blade in if you coil it up, stops it from tearing up your kit. Otherwise basically anything you want.
cheers

paddy

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I tend to keep a pot grip, seasonings, a small bottle of detergent, half a scouring pad and a cloth.

Might look into one of those collapsible water bowls to go in too.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Water bowl, salt and pepper pot, pot gripper and insulated mitt and a bit of emergency fire lighters, wet fire and the like and a brew kit.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
In my usual hiking pot I have my Bushbuddy, a meths stove and a ferro rod, I stuff my mug with coffee sachets.

For canoe trips my bigger billy usually contains ground coffee and sugar in leather pouch, length of chain with a hook on one end and a Millbank bag.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Pot grab, torch, brew kit, snacks all fit into my biscuit tin billy.
Pot grab and brew kit only if I only take the coffee tin billy....

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Sounds good to me... most people I think will store like with like... cooking stuff together with brew kit etc.

If you drink tea and coffee, those are good candidates for stashing in there. I tend to go on regular raids to petrol stations that have sugar sachets as well as salt, pepper, ketchup etc and keep it all in clear ziplock bags in my cooking set.

I have a Mors pot and into this goes all my small cooking items, spoon, fork, chopsticks, gas canister, stove, washing up liquid, scourer, oil, lightmyfire grandpa's fire fork thing, lighter, tissues and anything else that will fit. my goal is to have no air in there because wasted space is pet hate of mine. weird eh.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Sounds good to me... most people I think will store like with like... cooking stuff together with brew kit etc.

If you drink tea and coffee, those are good candidates for stashing in there. I tend to go on regular raids to petrol stations that have sugar sachets as well as salt, pepper, ketchup etc and keep it all in clear ziplock bags in my cooking set.

I have a Mors pot and into this goes all my small cooking items, spoon, fork, chopsticks, gas canister, stove, washing up liquid, scourer, oil, lightmyfire grandpa's fire fork thing, lighter, tissues and anything else that will fit. my goal is to have no air in there because wasted space is pet hate of mine. weird eh.

Not weird at all makes perfect sense. I have the same feeling that's why I was looking for inspiration.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thought you might like my recipe for 3in1 coffee. I used to use the sachets all the time but its a bit fiddly and and they were never quite strong enough. 10tsps of each milk powder, instant coffee and sugar (I like strong coffee with 2 sugars and fair whack of milk) dry mix it all and stick it in one of those little Nescafe Azeera tubs. Works a treat and cheaper than the sachets.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Thought you might like my recipe for 3in1 coffee. I used to use the sachets all the time but its a bit fiddly and and they were never quite strong enough. 10tsps of each milk powder, instant coffee and sugar (I like strong coffee with 2 sugars and fair whack of milk) dry mix it all and stick it in one of those little Nescafe Azeera tubs. Works a treat and cheaper than the sachets.

What a brilliant idea, thanks for that I will most definitely be doing that tomorrow.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Nice :) I do similar to you but add some coffee whitener too. The same with hot chocolate; Cocoa powder, bit of ground cinnamon, coffee whitener and milk powder plus sugar makes a good hot chocolate.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I did have a tub with coffee, whitener and sugar in it but had two issues.

1. Each powder has a different size and so separated in the tub, you see layers of coffee, milk powder and sugar and then it's a PITA to get a perfect cuppa.

2. sometimes I fancy coffee, sometimes I fancy tea and sometimes I want sugar for bread making.

After all that, I just went back to having it all on its own. But it's still a good thing to do and if it works for you, you're on a winner.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah it does tend to settle a bit, but if there's a bit of a gap in the tub you can just give it a little shake before use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE