What do you carry your tinder in?

I wanted something totally waterproof for tinder (I use true tinder, ground fine) and decided to buy an aluminum pill bottle that I found on ebay. It works well, but is rather small. Probably holds enough for about 8-10 fires at best.
Was wondering what others use.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I just use a plastic grip-lock bag. And then that goes in my fire-lighting pouch (an old M16 ammo pouch from a set of Alice webbing).
I actually carry two or three types of tinder. Always a few cotton wool balls, most of the time there's some birch bark, plus whatever else I have that's the tinder d'jour. Oh, and a couple of packs of Green Heat gel.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use either a US decontamination kit container, or an aluminium screw top tub I found.
In survival kits I've used drinking straws.
take a straw (ones from McDonalds are good)
fill it with cotton wool/vasaline mix, seal ends with hot knife blade.
Ideal for your survival tin.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Waterproof tobacco pouch :) and small but strong plastic screw top pots (originally held my Oil of Olay cream :eek: ) to hold stuff I really want to keep dry but is a bit fragile, like charcloth.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :D

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. neat idea on the straws Graham :approve: no mess that way :D

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I carry tinder, and stuff to light a fire in a small dry bag (from Lifeventure).

Fire_bag.jpg

I usually light my fires with marches and lighters and stock up with birch bark whenever I pass a suitable three.

Tor

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
My fire kit and a few other bits goes in my possible pouch. The tinder i keep in small plastic tubs that diabetics get test strips in. They are waterproof and just the right size. A diabetic freind of mine gives me a few every now and then and they're great for stuff like this.

A bit like this:

Vita-TS.jpg

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
just got a plasticy style baccy pouch from Calibanzwei actually, looks bloody useful, so i'll be stuffing that with assorted bits, i've also got a baccy tin which holds my firesteel with some dryer lint and a couple of pouches of greenheat gel for extra lazyness ;)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I use a 11 inch by 9 issue water proof bag that is OG poly cotton (?) on the out side and either clear pastic or, on the older ones, rubberised on the inside. Theres a two foot cotton tape at the open end for tying it closed. They are 50p or so in the army stores.

I've no idea what they are for but they keep the tinder good and dry.

ATB

Tom

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I bought one of those rubberised tobbaco pouch tinder pouches & found it to be rubbish. It's too big, not that waterproof & fiddly to use as you have to unwrap what seems like a foot of latex material to get at the tinder. Am now using a small but heavy ziplock bag that sits in my plastic waterpoof fire fit, which as rubber O ring round it.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I carry my tinder in my mind - Yeah right!

Usually just use a plastic container with a screw lid I found a work. Most of my kit goes in a dry bag inside my rucksack.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Until recently I'd always just carried it in my pockets, stuff that needed keeping dry I'd keep in plastic 'dog bags' - which was occasionally handy if I ran out of dog bags and needed to clear up after the dog - actually a more common occurence than needing dry tinder to light a fire with.

Recently I was given a new firesteel mounted in what looks like a nut of roe antler, a handmade striker for it in a round Erinmore pipe tobacco tin with a screw-top lid. My old firesteel fits in it too - so I guess from now on I'll be using that.

What I'll do next time I run out of dog bags I don't know...

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have to confess being a kit junkie but I don't carry any pick it up as I need it.

Drop me a pm logit ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE