UK Friendly EDC knife - my version

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey folks!

At a certain stage of life, every knifemaker should invent something )) To satisfy the ego, an original design or construction of a folding knife works best. I decided not to break from tradition or disappoint expectations and developed a design for a folding knife specifically for knife enthusiasts in the UK. Throughout the process, I aimed to create a full-sized folding knife that also complied with all the strictest requirements of English law.

I don't consider this design revolutionary, but I tried to make my modest contribution to the creation of a legal everyday carry folding knife. Of course, I'm far from the first in this niche—dozens of knifemakers before me have designed more or less successful knives that were meant to comply with the law. I carefully studied their experiences, their mistakes, and all the pros and cons of their technical solutions. Most of these solutions were related to extending the ricasso, or attempting to interpret the law regulating the length of the cutting edge. Forums in the UK were full of debates about where the length of the cutting edge should be measured from. I found that attempting to interpret the law and methods of measuring the cutting edge were extremely weak and unconvincing arguments when questions of knife legality arose. Any technical solution based solely on interpretations, personal evaluative judgments, and faith in luck is, from a legal perspective, very unstable ground. Therefore, I chose not to engage in these questionable and risky games and instead pursued a completely lawful path.

The full length of the blades of my knives, from the tip of the edge to the liners, does not exceed 76mm. Instead of engaging in questionable practices by elongating the ricasso, I extended the liners. The liners in my knife design are elongated by 25-35mm and visually create the illusion of a longer blade. Thanks to the extended liners and optical illusion, there's a feeling that the blade length is not 76 mm but 110-112 mm. Although, of course, that's not the case.This visual effect is achieved by the liners mimicking the shape, texture, and color of the blade. Of course, significantly protruding liners, with a thickness of 1.5-2mm, could deform during everyday use and carrying, so I found a solution. All liners are made of stainless steel with a carbon content of 0,35-0,40% and are hardened to a hardness of 45-50 HRC. Naturally, this complicates and lengthens the knife-making process, but the advantages outweigh it: 1. Protruding liners do not deform even under heavy stress. 2. A knife with hardened liners is practically indestructible. 3. Such a knife can be assembled and disassembled for customization an almost infinite number of times.

I wanted to create the most reliable, rigid, and user-safe design. That's why I chose to forgo the classic slipjoint and opted for its French version, the non-locking «cran force», developed in the 1820s. When you make a classic slipjoint powerful, the knife transforms into a guillotine, posing a danger to the owner's fingers. The French version of the slipjoint doesn't have this drawback.

During the summer, I submitted all the documentation to the UK Intellectual Property Office. They conducted a check for analogues and similar design solutions, and in September, the IPO officially registered three versions of the design.

I made test samples for the IPO in several versions: classic traditional knives assembled with rivets, featuring carbon steel blades and handles made of natural materials. Additionally, there are more modern versions assembled with screws, featuring composite scales and stainless steel blades. The aim was to offer a variety of models to suit different tastes.

I won't list the sizes and weights—these are custom handmade knives, and none of them are alike.

P.S. When there's time, I'll shoot a demonstration video with explanations.

P.P.S. Some blades bear the stamp "Dionisio Zapatero handmade" – that's my first officially registered brand. It's my Hispanized name, which I use for Spanish navajas and Mediterranean knives. Recently, I registered a second brand in the UK - Denis Cherevichnik.

Cheers,

Denis

A couple of pics:

Denis-Cherevichnik-handmade-knivs-3.jpg

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I like the look of them Denis.
Especially the white handled pair. They remind me of a rural Italian pocket knife I owned many years ago. Not the extended liners of course, but the overall profile.
That knife was pretty basic, but the only other French ones I have are Laguiole, which have a snap like a steel beartrap.
Good luck with these.

Reactions: Northman
I like the look of them Denis.
Especially the white handled pair. They remind me of a rural Italian pocket knife I owned many years ago. Not the extended liners of course, but the overall profile.
That knife was pretty basic, but the only other French ones I have are Laguiole, which have a snap like a steel beartrap.
Good luck with these.
Thanks a lot, mate! Love this "cran a force" - the French used it on almost all Thiers knives. A very reliable design

Reactions: plastic-ninja

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
A very different take on a 3" folder.

Looks a bit strange at first but the design does make sense.

The extended liners mean there is a long unsharp section at the base of the blade, so safe if it should fold on your fingers and/or your front finger will help hold the blade open.

Interested to know how you stop the blade slamming shut - I guess it is all in the tang profile?

I have sent you a private message/conversation

Reactions: Nice65 and Northman
A very different take on a 3" folder.

Looks a bit strange at first but the design does make sense.

The extended liners mean there is a long unsharp section at the base of the blade, so safe if it should fold on your fingers and/or your front finger will help hold the blade open.

Interested to know how you stop the blade slamming shut - I guess it is all in the tang profile?

I have sent you a private message/conversation
Thank you for noticing! I completely forgot to mention this very useful feature - a high level of safety. Yes, the hidden part of the blade is blunt, and even if by some miracle the blade closes during use, the cutting edge won't touch the fingers. Regardless of the grip type. But it`s possible only in theory - I've forcefully stabbed these knives into a wooden board dozens of times, and not once did any blade fold. I'll try to make a video. Actually it`s a folding knife with all the features of a fixed one. Slamming shut is incredibly rare on knives with a "cran force". That`s why i don`t use a regular slipjoint

Can`t add a pics - imgbb is down

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I knew these were going to be interesting. At first, strangeness, but quickly understood what you’ve done and the advantages. They are, without doubt, innovative.

The image hoster is giving me a 505 message so all I can do is expand the thumbnails. If this pic below causes any copyright issues, let me know and I’ll disappear it. From top #3,#4,#6, and #9 are all attractive.

Thanks for taking the time to sort the image hosting and posting the pics.

IMG_3480.jpeg

Thank you for noticing! I completely forgot to mention this very useful feature - a high level of safety. Yes, the hidden part of the blade is blunt, and even if by some miracle the blade closes during use, the cutting edge won't touch the fingers. Regardless of the grip type. But it`s possible only in theory - I've forcefully stabbed these knives into a wooden board dozens of times, and not once did any blade fold. I'll try to make a video. Actually it`s a folding knife with all the features of a fixed one. Slamming shut is incredibly rare on knives with a "cran force". That`s why i don`t use a regular slipjoint

Can`t add a pics - imgbb is down. Update! ))

I knew these were going to be interesting. At first, strangeness, but quickly understood what you’ve done and the advantages. They are, without doubt, innovative.

The image hoster is giving me a 505 message so all I can do is expand the thumbnails. If this pic below causes any copyright issues, let me know and I’ll disappear it. From top #3,#4,#6, and #9 are all attractive.

Thanks for taking the time to sort the image hosting and posting the pics.

View attachment 84012
Thanks, buddy! Since I've only patented the concept of significantly extended liners, this structural element can be applied to almost any existing model of a folding knife. Therefore, for demonstration purposes as prototypes, I've used several popular designs of classic gentleman's knives and a few versions of kitchen knives.

Really nice to see something different - good job :thumbsup:
Thank you! I hope the law won't change. Although, with this concept, the blade length can be as small as 50mm. In the worst case scenario, if the blades continue to decrease at a geometric progression, we'll end up with folding blood lancet for a finger puncture )) But I hope it doesn't come to that.

Hey folks!

At a certain stage of life, every knifemaker should invent something )) To satisfy the ego, an original design or construction of a folding knife works best. I decided not to break from tradition or disappoint expectations and developed a design for a folding knife specifically for knife enthusiasts in the UK. Throughout the process, I aimed to create a full-sized folding knife that also complied with all the strictest requirements of English law.

I don't consider this design revolutionary, but I tried to make my modest contribution to the creation of a legal everyday carry folding knife. Of course, I'm far from the first in this niche—dozens of knifemakers before me have designed more or less successful knives that were meant to comply with the law. I carefully studied their experiences, their mistakes, and all the pros and cons of their technical solutions. Most of these solutions were related to extending the ricasso, or attempting to interpret the law regulating the length of the cutting edge. Forums in the UK were full of debates about where the length of the cutting edge should be measured from. I found that attempting to interpret the law and methods of measuring the cutting edge were extremely weak and unconvincing arguments when questions of knife legality arose. Any technical solution based solely on interpretations, personal evaluative judgments, and faith in luck is, from a legal perspective, very unstable ground. Therefore, I chose not to engage in these questionable and risky games and instead pursued a completely lawful path.

The full length of the blades of my knives, from the tip of the edge to the liners, does not exceed 76mm. Instead of engaging in questionable practices by elongating the ricasso, I extended the liners. The liners in my knife design are elongated by 25-35mm and visually create the illusion of a longer blade. Thanks to the extended liners and optical illusion, there's a feeling that the blade length is not 76 mm but 110-112 mm. Although, of course, that's not the case.This visual effect is achieved by the liners mimicking the shape, texture, and color of the blade. Of course, significantly protruding liners, with a thickness of 1.5-2mm, could deform during everyday use and carrying, so I found a solution. All liners are made of stainless steel with a carbon content of 0,35-0,40% and are hardened to a hardness of 45-50 HRC. Naturally, this complicates and lengthens the knife-making process, but the advantages outweigh it: 1. Protruding liners do not deform even under heavy stress. 2. A knife with hardened liners is practically indestructible. 3. Such a knife can be assembled and disassembled for customization an almost infinite number of times.

I wanted to create the most reliable, rigid, and user-safe design. That's why I chose to forgo the classic slipjoint and opted for its French version, the non-locking «cran force», developed in the 1820s. When you make a classic slipjoint powerful, the knife transforms into a guillotine, posing a danger to the owner's fingers. The French version of the slipjoint doesn't have this drawback.

During the summer, I submitted all the documentation to the UK Intellectual Property Office. They conducted a check for analogues and similar design solutions, and in September, the IPO officially registered three versions of the design.

I made test samples for the IPO in several versions: classic traditional knives assembled with rivets, featuring carbon steel blades and handles made of natural materials. Additionally, there are more modern versions assembled with screws, featuring composite scales and stainless steel blades. The aim was to offer a variety of models to suit different tastes.

I won't list the sizes and weights—these are custom handmade knives, and none of them are alike.

P.S. When there's time, I'll shoot a demonstration video with explanations.

P.P.S. Some blades bear the stamp "Dionisio Zapatero handmade" – that's my first officially registered brand. It's my Hispanized name, which I use for Spanish navajas and Mediterranean knives. Recently, I registered a second brand in the UK - Denis Cherevichnik.

Cheers,

Denis

A couple of pics:

Denis-Cherevichnik-handmade-knivs-3.jpg

They look great!

I may have missed it, but are they for sale anywhere?

Not yet. I received patents from the UK IPO only in September of this year, and now I am waiting for confirmation of the registration of the new brand. The certificate should be sent by the end of December. Once I have everything, I'll think about pricing

Knightjar

Feb 24, 2024
Wales
These look wonderful. Nice to see a tool that will be comfortable in a larger hand. They look substantial but non-threatening for EDC. Looking forward to seeing them for sale.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE