What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As promised, my things have arrived (except the 2 man crosscut saw and file) so here's the picture.

ybyry7yv.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Excellent haul Mr Wright, I was wondering what had happened to all the loot you ordered. Nice selection of kit - I can just imagine your happy wee face as you got that lot. We also will be needing action shots of course!

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Nice display, Mr Wright. What are the three objects at the bottom of the photo, which appear to have short leather sleeves? Also, the little thing right in the middle. I think I recognize everything else.

I have a fairly large selection of woodworking tools, all quite old (pre-WWII), that came from my late father-in-law. Included was a cross-cut saw that cuts better than my new one, a spoke shave, two wood bodied planes, and about a dozen chisels of various sizes, plus three other handsaws. I have only used the cross-cut saw so far. I also received a few hundred pounds, it seems, of other hand tools, mostly wrenches and socket sets, including one in a box marked in paint: "damn metric tools." My father-in-law was an engineer and those two facts tells you all you need to know about his personality.

However, I still buy things. Yesterday I bought a stainless steel bowl to replace a "found" plastic bowl, a one ounce container for dish detergent (washing up liquid, I think you say), and two food bars. Total cost, about $11.50. I am looking forward to getting a new stainless pot or billy of some sort to replace two beat up aluminium pots, one of which is a Sigg, who apparently no longer make such things. There is still a good selection of reasonably priced cook sets in the stores (I shop at REI, Recreational Equipment Inc) unless your heard desires titanium.

I haven't reported on my Christmas gift yet, which arrived last week: a reproduction tin (yes, tinned steel) French army mess kit/gamelle individuelle. It's nice and shiny and should make a good target in the woods. I have used it, though not over a fire, but I expect it will hold up under the sort of uses I expect to put it to. It was quite an indulgence, I have to admit, and it is sort of growing on me. Totally impractical and obsolescent, yet still useable.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Oh aye, my face was a picture when I opened my loot. I'll havesome shots soon, ive still to build the shave horse and pole lathe first..

Those ones at the bottom are ben orford bowl turning gouges, I've since handled them in ash. The piece in the centre is a large ben orford spoon knife, I went for ghis over the bottoming knife as it has more uses.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Thanks for the reply. I regret I do not have the technical capability to post photos (and I even struggle with English, my only language). I'm probably the most primative person here.

I know what a pole lathe is but is a "shave horse" like a sort of clamping device with seat to make wooden roofing shingles? Also, what is the axe in the middle with the straight handle, directly above your spoon knife (which I've never heard of)? A tomahawk perhaps?

I see bare feet, too.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know what a pole lathe is but is a "shave horse" like a sort of clamping device with seat to make wooden roofing shingles? Also, what is the axe in the middle with the straight handle, directly above your spoon knife (which I've never heard of)? A tomahawk perhaps?

A shave horse can be used for more than just making roofing shingles. It's used extensively by green woodworkers for a variety of tasks. Here's an description of a shave horse

The long bladed item you refer to is a froe used for splitting billets of wood. It's used in conjunction with a wooden mallet

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
No, not the froe but the axe directly above with the sheath or blade cover. It's the only other tool there with a straight handle (with a hole in the end).

Didn't you want a broad axe, too, for building a log house?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
No, not the froe but the axe directly above with the sheath or blade cover. It's the only other tool there with a straight handle (with a hole in the end).

Didn't you want a broad axe, too, for building a log house?

Do you mean the axe with the metal collar? that's a Gransfor Outdoor Axe. They're a sweet little axe, nice to use. Mine's my favourite axe to use :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
A new tarp from Tenth Wonder, and some flights to Spain and Greece for some hiking trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
4 pairs of British issue arctic socks, £1 a pair
New OS map
Austrian army woolly hat
20 mini carabiners
bunch of tent pegs
all for under £15 :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE