What combination of edged tools do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What combination of edged tools do use in the field?

• Total voters

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
hi. less is more and all that. pocket knife seems to cover all my needs ! perhaps im missing something....

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
This is harder to answer than it first appears.
I tend to start with a pocket knife, usually a Swiss Army, Opinel or simple slip-joint.
I then add to that according to what I'm going to be doing to include a fixed blade knife (or 2 ;) ), maybe crooked or spoon knives, an axe or hatchet, then either a folding or bow saw and maybe even a chainsaw. It all comes down to matching the tool to the job.

Dave

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
If you see me in the woods. I will be carrying a #14 Randall fixed blade. An old Plum
hatchet an in my pocket a case moose pattern 2 blade folder. And a 16in machete
on my saddle. The hatchet is carried in my saddle bags.
Also a model 71 Winchester in .348 in a saddle scabbard . And a old Colt .45
revolver on my belt.
This is the stuff I never leave home without

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Cutting-Crew.jpg

This is my cutting crew if I'm properly out with the addition of a saw where needed.

My EDC is a swiss farmer with knife, saw, awl and couple of other bits like bottle openers.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Normally the "holy three" combination - axe, fixed blade, folder.
Axe - GB SFA
Fixed blade - either a BRKT Mini NorthStar, a Skookum Bush Tool or a trusty old Mora
Folder - either a Remington Lumberjack (a moose pattern), a Ken Erickson moose (made to my wishes :D ) or an old time favourite SAK Soldier.

I've just gotten hold of a Bahco Laplander foldable saw, and I can't wait to try it out.
If it feels right, the "holy three" will grow into a "holy four".

/ Karl

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
For most of my fun in the woods, just my 5in Bowie, have used one since i started out at scouts, and feel at home with it as it does all i ask. Don't need to chop wood very often as scavenging for dead wood of the right size is half the fun :rolleyes:
Will use a Kukri for 2 weeks straight for everything next month, maybe this will then take over but doubt it, don't fancy walking around the woods with it on my belt, might, possibly, probably, draw attention :lmao:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I just voted for small knife, axe, saw and other knife. Usually my bushy, a laplander, wildlife hatchet and a Bark River OMF.

I just realised that I carry other knives with me as well though. Usually a Vic Farmer somewhere, plus a Leatherman Mini Tool, plus smaller ones on keys and PSK

My first choice is pretty accurate though

I voted the last option because it depends where I'm going.

If I'm going into a coniferous area I tend to leave the axe at home and use a Puukko and Leuku combo. The Leuku is perfect for chopping off the dry, dead kindling branches off the base of conifers.

Deciduous areas then it's the trinity of small folder, Medium knife and Axe.

I still have a bushcraft/ woodlore knife but my current favorite is a Nessmuk (made by jojo). I like the fact that the deep belly means that every part of the edge is a sweet spot - having said that - I'm no fine carver and don't do much batoning either. I do think Nessmuk got it right first time though. My axe is a Roselli long - which is great for splitting.

Never felt the need for a saw.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I take my ol faithfull gerber multitool

The oak shing blade bushy from "http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25015"

A GB small forest axe or GB scandi forest axe (if out longer than 3 days or very cold times)

Also a backup/foodrep folder in my pack and maybe a crook knife if i know ill have spare time :)

Will one day add a folding saw as i recently tried a laplander and was very impressed. I also like the laplander if i am cutting live stuff as it leaves a much more plant/tree friendly cut than my bushy or thax.

Oh i think there is a small razor sharp clean crkt peck in my first aid kit (great for splinters ;) but sadly not much else...)

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
HI all,

I usually cary the Nessmuk Triple, although in my case its a Bark River North Star, a GB SFA and a Schrade Old Timer Stockman 3 blade folder.

some times I will swap out items depending in where I am going, eg, the axe for a Parang, etc...

in adition I usually have a Spoon Knife and a folding saw and Pruning shears (old habit... sorry) in my large pack for longer trips...

Cheers all...

Karl

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
On longer trips and stay-outs, the Skookum Bush Tool, the Alu Vic Farmer the SFA axe and a bahco folding saw.

On short trips, dogwalks and dayhikes, a good scandi whatever to taste and often a bahco folding saw for collecting those 'project' woods.

-Emile

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I don't carry saw;6 inches fixed blade,12" or 16" machete (hatchet in winter),Victor Inox Green Hunter folder.I've never needed saw,but considering to put some saw leaf in machete sheath.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Puukko, Leuku & a Lappy

Leatherman or small SAK

Sometimes I'll take an axe, a Golok or E-nep if I forsee the need for larger chopping/splitting - or I just want to pretend I really need them for a few days in the woods.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I´m changing from trip to trip but last trip I only used my mora 10cm knife, gransfors SFA and victorinox huntsman (never use the tiny saw on it!). Had to cut quite some firewood sleeping under a tarp a couple of times here in sweden. i prefer not to take a saw anymore since I enjoy chopping more. In two weeks I'll go out for a week without sleeping bag and just a german poncho as roof, my clothes on my nody and some spare clothes and food in a rucksack. I think I'll take a laminated steel mora (which my girl found some days ago, it was crooked and knackered. I straightened it, removed red paint from handle, oiled it, sharpened it and made a birch bark sheath for it, I really like it now) , a sak and a martindale golok nr2 (I like it more then the sfa, but it's close). I'll have to cut up lots of stuff to build sleeping platform and to make a lot of fire for a coalbed. I look forward to it ;)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It very much depends on what I'm doing. As a general rule I tend to just have my everyday 4" fixed blade, but if I'm working (doing woodland or bushcrafty stuff) then I will normally have a saw and either an axe or a billhook nearby too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE