How do you carry your edged tools?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
I'm in a bit of a predicament. There's probably a simple answer but I don't know what it is so I'm hoping you can help.

I'm completely new to bushcraft and I've only just started accumulating a few odds and ends over the last few weeks.

My most recent purchases were some edged tools, namely the Mora 2012 and the Bahco Laplander.

On getting out and using them I came across a big problem which is carrying them. They get packed in my bergen till we set up a camp and then they come out ready for use but the problem was nothing felt right about carrying them. I do have combat trousers with fairly deep pockets but these were useless under my waterproof trousers. I had no belt to thread them on and none of the pockets in my coat were deep enough to secure them in. I actually nearly lost my laplander when it fell out of my side coat pocket whilst leaning over and it dropped in to a nearby stream. It was only when I had looked everywhere else for it I realised it must have been in there. The water was murky so it was a lot of guess work but luckily I eventually found it!

After that I wouldn't let either tool out of my sight so ended up just carrying them in my hands which limited my freedom of movement. I like to keep my hands free!

So please can you all give me an idea of how you carry your knives and saw's in particular? I do have an army issue belt which the saw could fit on by its leather stap but I think it would sway about to much, knock at my legs and get caught up on stuff so that doesn't feel right. Also the Mora has a nice little sheath with belt loop but its not a big enough loop to clear the chunky plastic fastener of the belt. So can anyone help me out please?

I've seen the Snugpack's but they aren't my cup of tea as I want something that will keep both hands free please.

Thank you!

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
How about a baldric around your neck/arm. Can be kept under a coat and wond be in the way.
1E7B4BA8-7D4E-499B-B40D-5BE9C545782A-9435-00000AED8DD1ED11.jpg

2F3706E2-33AB-4D08-8EF5-04DBD5E1454F-9435-00000AED974DC3CF.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mine go in the top of my pack until I get to camp usually. I only take a fixed blade and a Laplander for bushy weekend stuff, both in leather sheaths so easy to put on the belt. I keep meaning to get a longer belt to put over the top of my layers rather than fiddling about under a coat or Swannie.

I don't like stuff in my pockets as it bugs me, so a belt works for me. It's not often I have both on the belt, the saw is usually in the pack unless I need it, then it goes on the belt before I head off in search of firewood.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My sharps - plus a pouch with "useful bits" (inc a FAK!) go on a wide leather belt that is long enough to go over any number of layers.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Wow thanks for all the replies already!

I've heard of these baldric things. If I were to get one would you recommend a certain type or just make one? I like the idea of a utility vest but the best ones all look a bit Swat!

Having plenty of pockets and compartments seems great but the non military vests don't looks as though they have compartments big enough for a knife or saw.

Answered your own question right here :) Belts and good sheaths. Remember a belt doesnt need to be worn to hold your pants up, it can be worn over everything to hang your tools from. :)

I intend to start using the belt I've mentioned as soon as I get the issue canteen and cup to go in to the DPM pouch I have on it. Til then its a little redundant. I still have the problem of how I can get said tools on the belt though? The Mora's Sheath wont go over it.

As for boots they are berghaus ankle boots of some description.

Thanks for the help so far. Pics are helpful too :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Make a loop out of paracord and double loop it through the Mora sheath and it will be secured well and won't move about.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Paracord, of course, the answer to everything :)

What about the saw? Is there anything I can use to get it to secure horizontally to the belt? 2 velcro or popper strips of some kind?

skids

Oct 19, 2012
Gloucestershire
I carry my mora on an adjustable neck lanyard. I can adjust the length and change the carry to under arm, both being blade pointing up. You can use the standard sheath, mine is custom kydex one. As for the saw, you could use a long lanyard with a carabiner, so when its secured on your person, it will reach you trouser side pockets.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My saw goes in a belt sheath - at first just one I made myself, then a custom job that I was given.
That one is a work of art by topknot of this parish!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've been fiddling with a generic medical/survival kit on my belt kit this aft, as I got a Maxped M5 off the classifieds.
I've also been using a Maxped roly poly pouch on my belt. This can unfold to be used for foraging etc.
It also fits a titanium mug, lid, and nalgene bottle[Tight Squeeze]
Or a food/drink flask. [The idea was I could use it in cold conditions]
The green sheath is a standard nato one, to fit the laplander saw, and the leather sheath is one which I made from buffalo hide, for my knife, a PB Bushman TZ.
[I also added one of these plastic sheath liners, into my sheath, cut to size, which works great btw. Stops the blade cutting the welt, more hygenic, and the handle is still friction grip]
The belt is made by Dougster.

belt kit2.jpgbelt kit.jpg

Last edited:

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Vanguard make a Laplander case/sheath to go on your belt, they also make a item that attaches the mora sheath to military width belts. Both are olive green and are sold by ukkitmonster. Both cheap enough and work well.
No connection to store etc

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Just to reiterate what someone else was saying, good belt worn on the outside of everything usually does the trick. Also the belt sits higher meaning you can get away with something light like the Laplander swaying about a bit on the leather cord.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE