What combination of edged tools do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What combination of edged tools do use in the field?

• Total voters

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I handled a reproduction Nessmuck. That hump makes a nice area to hold when using as a drawknife. It is a little less than ideal as a striking anvil when splitting wood. Being forward, the knife tends to simply tilt and waste the transferred energy and I was worried about snapping the blade. It makes for a superb skinner.

chad234

Oct 25, 2003
Detroit, Michigan, USA
The Nessmuk style knife has many fine attributes. My favorite are by Dale Chudzinski of Racquette Forge.

Here is my current wood bumming cutting kit:
GrBoX010.jpg

GrBoX011.jpg

The knife is my "Big Orange" Nessmuk by Dale. The sheath is bombproof waxed leather that matches the knife perfectly.

The Axe is a Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axe.

The Saw is a folding quick bucksaw from Duluth Pack.

The SAK is a custom with Maple scales.

I sometimes adda nother fixed blade for back up, either a Mora 2k or lately this Bocote handled Freelander from Allan Blade:

EasterX040.jpg

Here are some other shots of the SAK to show some detail, very nice work by Blademan.

zsak%20007.jpg

zsak%20006.jpg

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Nice kit Chad.

I have a combination of small knife and folding saw.
Hoping to get a puuko knife within the next week from kellam knives.
My saw is the Silky Fox Pocket Boy 170 which cuts on the back pull and is very effective.

I've used axes on courses but I'm not ready to buy my own just yet.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I usually carry a small early 1700's French trade axe or tomahawk for the cutting/chopping stuff. But I use my corn knife (farmer's version of a machete) for all the daily chores.

And then I carry a simple fixed blade knife on the belt - straight 4 inch spear point blade with antler slab handles and brass bolster (made by a friend). And usually have one of my iron handled French clasp knives in the pocket - based on originals recovered from the 1685 shipwreck of la Salle's ship la Belle.

If you haven't guessed yet, most of my camping/hiking/trekking is historically based - and primarily based in the mid to late 1700's.

I seldom "chop" or split firewood when out in the woods. I gather fallen dead branches to feed the fire. The small stuff gets busted up using my foot or snapping it between two trees. The big stuff gets laid along/across the fire and burned through. Then just push the ends in.

So it goes out here in the Hinterlands.

Mike Ameling

p.s. Yeah, with all the assorted "toys" I have, I still usually go pretty minimalist, and have my few favorite using toys.

For me it depends on activity.

For general out and about camping, it's a leatherman wave and small fixed blade such as a mora alongside a folding pruning saw.

I'f I'm on a long camp in an area when I'm depending on fire, I'll take a billhook too.

For other activities such as foraging I'll often take secateurs and if I've got my kelly kettle, I'll ditch the pruning saw and billhook for secateurs. I have a rescue knife on my pfd when canoeing that is normally kept taped to the sun visor in the car :rolleyes:

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Until I work out my own perfect combination I think I fit into the last...

Khukri - Penknife from H.I.
Small forest or hunters axe - gransfors
North star - B.R.K.T.
Leatherman - XE6
Swiss card - Victorinox
Sabresaw - Not sure which sompany makes it actually
Hacksaw blade 7" - Generic
Razor blades - Part of sewing kit

Apr 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario+
This is my kit with my new axe,a Sandvik, waiting patiently to be hafted.
The knife is a K J Erikssons carbon steel
The saw is a cheap World Famous camping saw that works suprisingly well for $10 Cdn. We'll see how it lasts
I also take a Gerber multitool
p1010002an6.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I am going by van I carry everything.
If I am in a canoe, a hatchet, folding saw, leatherman and a medium fixed blade in my barrel plus a rescue knife and pocket folder in my BA.
On foot for a long way, a medium fixed blade plus a leatherman.
On foot for a short way, GB SFA, medium fixed or finish twin knife set, leatherman, folding saw.
Forign treks, medium fixed blade and leatherman.
So many combos for so many trips!

andy_bell

Dec 13, 2006
west yorkshire
Gb mini hatchet, woodlore an opinel no 6 and a scandinavian forest axe.
I almost never use the woodlore as the mini hatchet and no 6 do most things the woodlore will, just can't bring myself to leave it at home.
Don't bother with saws as I am trying to approach this in a buy 1 thing that will last forever kind of way and I don't think I could sharpen a saw.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
For a long weekend under canvas (as per the original post) I'd typically carry in a variety of tools...

Decent fixed blade (or two :rolleyes: )
Folding saw (Laplander)
Axe (Either my SFA or my recently aquired Cegga)
Bowsaw (If I expect to be needing it )

Along with the kit that I have on me at virtually all times...

Buck 110
SAK Ranger
Swisstool
Lone Wolf Harsey T2

... I reckon on rarely being without the right tool for the job in the sort of area that I normally find myself in.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Zemog said:
This is my kit with my new axe,a Sandvik, waiting patiently to be hafted.
The knife is a K J Erikssons carbon steel
The saw is a cheap World Famous camping saw that works suprisingly well for $10 Cdn. We'll see how it lasts
I also take a Gerber multitool
p1010002an6.jpg

:( My gerber multi-tool died Friday.

What blew my mind.. I was prying a small dowel out of a window sill... :confused: :confused: :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE