What combination of edged tools do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What combination of edged tools do use in the field?

• Total voters

seved

Maker
Dec 10, 2007
Sweden
www.sevedsknivar.se
I use a big knife 8mm thick 240 mm long, for skining,chopping and things that i have to do. I also have a smaler knife if i cant do it with bigger and a saw. I will make a short knife to use for make up deer and moose with.

Seved

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
Mini PSK, backpack PSK, outdoor add-ons and car kit put together gives:
Huge Hultafors axe
Small Fiskars axe
Bahco folding saw
Fallkniven F1, WM1, U2
Gerber Multiplier 600
LM Fuse
SAK Explorer
Hultafors GK

If I only could pick three it would be:
Fallkniven F1
Bahco folding saw
LM Fuse

My minimalistic PSK is the Fallkniven U2 and a small firesteel with a whistle and a spy capsule with PJB

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This, basically, is what I will be using from now on for various jobs:

100_2369.jpg

But I also have a pocket chainsaw, a Bow saw, a Leatherman 'Core' and a Frosts spoon knife which also have there uses.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pretty much got it covered there Greg! Axe, saw and knife does most things well. I do think theres a place for a larger camp knife too on occasions. The more I go on, the less I think there is a single solution to all problems. Actually I often find two people with complimentary tools have the best solution - one with a set like yours, the other with a camp knife, folder and buck saw. Weighs out about the same and both have their advantages. Together though you have everything you could need

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Pretty much got it covered there Greg! Axe, saw and knife does most things well. I do think theres a place for a larger camp knife too on occasions. The more I go on, the less I think there is a single solution to all problems. Actually I often find two people with complimentary tools have the best solution - one with a set like yours, the other with a camp knife, folder and buck saw. Weighs out about the same and both have their advantages. Together though you have everything you could need

Red

Thanks Red,
Believe it or not you have just given me a bit of a confidence boost there because I have never really got my head around what I should really have.:rolleyes:
The second knife (The one with the black micarta handle) is just in the photo to even it out if you know what I mean!:)
As for the larger camp knife, do you mean a machete / kukri type?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
With that set up Greg - what you want is a nice 9" carbon steel Samekniv/Leuku(sp?).
The kind of thing in Waylands pickie......or like the big beggar in my Laplander double set - but in carbon not s/s.
If I could get one for review I would have one ASAP!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Greg,

A Leuku is a good choice - or a longer bladed knife for use as a carving knife etc. I carry a weird Flyssa that works for me - I also designed "beater" with this sort of role in mind - part chefs knife, part chopper. I think there is a lot to be said for the triangular Gaucho pattern too,

Red

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
Green river deck knife (5", stainless), Opinel No.8 in leather pouch with mini-steel and firesteel attached, Bahco Laplander folding saw, British Army Knife (2 piece) which lives in my buoyancy aid and I leave the Leatherman Blast in the Land Rover. Just acquired a Martindale No.2 Golok Machete which I'd only probably take if going away for a while.
Still very inexperienced but getting there and provided I don't wreck any of the above - don't plan on adding/changing anything soon.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Bahco Laplander, a Karesuando fox special in carbon steel, one of Red and Cegga's axes and either a leatherman juice or SAK huntsman for me, although I am saving for a new knife at the mo.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Hi
I use a combination of SAK, WS woodlore,Puma 725 4star ,Gerber Axe, folding saw depending on where i am going.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Always fixed blade,and folder,usually with small axe and 13" machete(except when I take billhook that covers both,machete and axe-but those two are more fun),and 8" hand saw blade.And blade blank in backpack for backup.And harpoon tip.And I don't need that all,I usually use only machete or/and folder,but like to have lot of steel with me.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
It depends. Just under canvas, I would probably just carry a knife, maybe with a back up SAK or leatherman. But if I needed a big fire through the night, or needed to cut decent wood, I'd take an axe, either the scand forest axe, or a larger two handed axe I have. Plus maybe a saw.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
hi . just out of interest those who have voted minimal, knife of some description. Could you enlighten me as to what you actually use. many thanks.

always carried:puma knife(as it was all what was once between me and a maniac with a machete who tried to chop me up i'm NEVER and NOWHERE without it!!!), leatherman supertool(in my opinion the best ever made-simple, robust reliable), small skinning knife(buck diamond guide)

additional(depending on activity):gransfors small forest axe, folding saw,fishing knife and large chopper

"disappointed by the monkeys, god created man. then he renounced to further experiments." mark twain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE