How do you carry your edged tools?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 8, 2013
Ireland
I'm in a bit of a predicament. There's probably a simple answer but I don't know what it is so I'm hoping you can help.

I'm completely new to bushcraft and I've only just started accumulating a few odds and ends over the last few weeks.

My most recent purchases were some edged tools, namely the Mora 2012 and the Bahco Laplander.

On getting out and using them I came across a big problem which is carrying them. They get packed in my bergen till we set up a camp and then they come out ready for use but the problem was nothing felt right about carrying them. I do have combat trousers with fairly deep pockets but these were useless under my waterproof trousers. I had no belt to thread them on and none of the pockets in my coat were deep enough to secure them in. I actually nearly lost my laplander when it fell out of my side coat pocket whilst leaning over and it dropped in to a nearby stream. It was only when I had looked everywhere else for it I realised it must have been in there. The water was murky so it was a lot of guess work but luckily I eventually found it!

After that I wouldn't let either tool out of my sight so ended up just carrying them in my hands which limited my freedom of movement. I like to keep my hands free!

So please can you all give me an idea of how you carry your knives and saw's in particular? I do have an army issue belt which the saw could fit on by its leather stap but I think it would sway about to much, knock at my legs and get caught up on stuff so that doesn't feel right. Also the Mora has a nice little sheath with belt loop but its not a big enough loop to clear the chunky plastic fastener of the belt. So can anyone help me out please?

I've seen the Snugpack's but they aren't my cup of tea as I want something that will keep both hands free please.

Thank you!

Hi, I'm new fairly new to bushcraft (and i'v just joined the forum :) YAY!) but i carry my Mora classic I around my neck, i find it the handiest way and its easy to access, I dont usually carry a saw but what i did do was make use out of an old pair of combats. I cut off the belt loops and a pocket off the leg and sewed three of the belt loops to the back of it. This makes it a handy pouch to hang on your belt. You said you have combat pockets that are big enough for the Laplander so if you have and old pair, don't bin em. Like i said, I dont usually carry a saw but i use this the whole time as a handy dump pouch for odds and ends and sometimes, if im going light, my trailhawk head.
Hope this helps.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I carry my Knife around my neck via double looped paracord and usually underneath my top layer (I see no point in drawing attention to myself). My Laplander usually stays in my pack until needed. I too have on occasion just use a spare carabiner and then attached it to my belt loop though. Having seen all these lovely looking bits of leather though I am tempted to upgrade.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I just carry mine in my bergan until I need it. When I do need it I have a baldrik sheath so it's at hand until it goes back in my bergan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE