What can I do with sloes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Hi

Other than making sloe gin does anyone have any idea what else I could do with the fruit? I could not find any recipies for jam etc.

Any ideas?

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I suppose you could try and make a sloe jelly/jam as u need so much sugar to make the sloe any way near palatable = try biting into one!!!! ;D Can't beat sloe gin/vodka :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I made a sloe jam once, with added lemon juice (!) and not vast amounts of sugar. It was legendary. Ok, so the first time you tasted it your mouth dried up in a fraction of a second, but it was superb on toast.

I now make some every year, usually with a bit of apple added, but it has never been as good as that first one. Jelly is easier as it takes away the need to pull all the stones out of the pulp.

Regardless, it is very good. Add about a pound of sugar to a pint of liquid if making a jelly, and add some pectin for a good set.

But I can eat sloes raw!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
they're best when bletched tbh, but i have been known to chow down on a fresh sloe, fantastic face implody sweets :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi

Other than making sloe gin does anyone have any idea what else I could do with the fruit? I could not find any recipies for jam etc.

Any ideas?

I make sloe gin and then with the once used sloes, I make sloe and cider or slider, and then use the reused sloes to make slider with rosie (apples) or apple and blackberry crumble.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE