Vegetarian/vegan camp food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm going to have to see if I can make vegetarian packed lunches part of my life.

I do like the look of the Japanese packed lunches with the pickled veg and nicely laid out separate areas - that will appeal and satisfy my OCD at least.

Just wondering what veggies pack off in tupperware dishes here to eat alone in their joy filled office cubicles of sisyphusian endeavours ?

Reactions: Chris and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did that when I worked away from home.
You can buy a two layered Bento box or an Indian Tiffin tin stack, neither are very expensive. The latter is made of stainless steel and is pretty robust but not that heavy.

I like variety in my food, and these boxes let me pack choice pieces, or in the case of the tiffin tin, in cooler weather when there's no desperate need for refrigeration, just to take along left overs.

I like veggie sushi, I like fresh fruits, and salads, I like good cheese and nuts. Easy stuff to eat in short breaks. Foods like falafel, tempura, mini pies or pasties, those pack well too.
Put in a wee sealed tub of chutney or olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and it's sorted :D

M

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I'm going to have to see if I can make vegetarian packed lunches part of my life.

I do like the look of the Japanese packed lunches with the pickled veg and nicely laid out separate areas - that will appeal and satisfy my OCD at least.

Just wondering what veggies pack off in tupperware dishes here to eat alone in their joy filled office cubicles of sisyphusian endeavours ?

I love these: Blue Ville Pickled Radish Slices 350g https://amzn.eu/d/aVBSlZo

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I don't want to incite the veg-heads.. and see, I AM trying to come closer to liking all things tofu..

But how does one keep calories up sufficiently ? I'm all for losing a little truffle-shuffle but don't want to struggle for calories too much. Do you mostly resort to Nuts/seeds and avocado?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How vegetarian do you want to be ?
Eggs and dairy can be both protein and calorie high.

I don't eat eggs, I do eat some dairy, and I have been vegetarian for over forty years....and I'm fat. It's not uncommon for vegetarians, even those with a really varied diet like mine, to be fat.
My Doctor jokingly said that the vegetarian bit was the problem. I should let the animals eat all that good stuff first, and then just eat them.....:rolleyes:

There was a thread elsewhere that I think @Stew started, asking about the concept of managing at least thirty different plants (for the micro nutrients) in a week.
I had that well sorted, pretty much managed that in a day, but I'm still fat :sigh:
It's an interesting way to go about it though.

The thing is that vegetarian food is the choice food. Nuts, seeds, good oils, good fruits, lots of fresh veg, and it's all nutrient dense...and calorifically so too.

For the record, I don't like pasta, I do like potatoes, I do like bread, and oatcakes.

Reactions: TeeDee

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I don't want to incite the veg-heads.. and see, I AM trying to come closer to liking all things tofu..

But how does one keep calories up sufficiently ? I'm all for losing a little truffle-shuffle but don't want to struggle for calories too much. Do you mostly resort to Nuts/seeds and avocado?
Just eat what you fancy,just cut out the meat.Have a look at the Diabetic vegetatian plan for eating healthy,and getting enough calories and carbs.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Chop and fry a leek and some cabbage if you have broccoli or kale you can add that too,
Make up some instant mash, add some cheese, mix it all up and fry off in the pan.
Scrumptious bubble and squeak.a la extra special. Filling, cheap and easy camp meal.
Any green veg can be used, but the leek adds a great flavour.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That one works if you're out for a ramble and the pickings are good :)
Ransoms, early nettles, early dock, young bittercress, it all fries up quickly in just a tiny bit of olive oil.
If you are allowed to pull up a couple of the ransoms they have long thin bulbs like skinny shallots. Very tasty, much nicer than shallots or garlic in this kind of mix :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE