Card disk cutter / wad punch recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm trying to track down a method of making a large number of card disks. I've got wad punches which are fine for making holes and ok for cutting a few disks but not a large number. At the moment I need disks 16mm diameter although 15 might do, but in the future other sizes.

I've seen cheap 'craft' punches but they don't seem to cope with decent card (ideally 1-2mm). I don't really want to spend a fortune as I can buy the disks in. Any ideas?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Thanks, those wad punches look good value but similar to what I have. As mentioned, ok for a few wads but not loads.

I've also seen the craft machines but doubt the longevity of them cutting card. The one I looked at would only cope with thick paper.

Reactions: Broch

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have one of those little craft machines, and it won't do for what you're needing. They don't do heavy card. The electric ones do, but you're talking hundreds for those.

I think your best bet is to bite the bullet and decide on a size and buy a seperate hand punch.
Like this sort of thing. They'll do 300g stuff, though it becomes hard work the thicker/more fibrous the cardstock.

Reactions: slowworm and Robbi

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have one of those little craft machines, and it won't do for what you're needing. They don't do heavy card. The electric ones do, but you're talking hundreds for those.

I think your best bet is to bite the bullet and decide on a size and buy a seperate hand punch.
Like this sort of thing. They'll do 300g stuff, though it becomes hard work the thicker/more fibrous the cardstock.
Well done, one of those might be handy for the Cyflect markers I had planned. To a fanfare of disinterest :yawn: :D

Thread 'Cyflect markers.'
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/cyflect-markers.164580/

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
No idea for a lot of 16mm.

Fiskars make some odd punch cutters, including ones that look like grip strengtheners. But not in many sizes.

Reactions: slowworm and Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
With these things, I’m curious what you’re doing with them. What’s the plan?

I'm literally making wads, packing wads for 12g cartridges so they don't need to be an exact size.

I've seen the card/craft tools and not seen any that I would expect to last. I have looked for something like an old fashioned two hole punch, made of metal, as the heavy duty office ones I've used cope with thick card and go on forever. But I can't find anything with a large hole.

You can buy something for making shotgun wads, but not in this country it seems and the ones that look ideal are £100+ and never in stock.

I have found a cheap wad punch that is designed to go in a drill, so you cut rather than hit, which I have found works better.

Just wondering if there's anything else out there I've not thought of.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm literally making wads, packing wads for 12g cartridges so they don't need to be an exact size.

I've seen the card/craft tools and not seen any that I would expect to last. I have looked for something like an old fashioned two hole punch, made of metal, as the heavy duty office ones I've used cope with thick card and go on forever. But I can't find anything with a large hole.

You can buy something for making shotgun wads, but not in this country it seems and the ones that look ideal are £100+ and never in stock.

I have found a cheap wad punch that is designed to go in a drill, so you cut rather than hit, which I have found works better.

Just wondering if there's anything else out there I've not thought of.

Those little punches that I linked to come in different qualities. The big ones, what I call my desk punches, those are strong, those really last. They'll cost you nearly twenty quid though. They take the full push of the hand.
If I were making many of something, that's the kind of tool I'd choose. When I did craft shows, that's the kind of size I used to punch out all my labels. The little ones are good, but well, they are what they are.
Might be worth trying one just to see.

M

Reactions: slowworm

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ok, now I understand what you're after what I'd suggest is you get yourself a small flypress like this and fit the punch to it.

Alternatively, you can make something like this and fit the punch to it. Just make sure the punch is really sharp or it might struggle a bit to cut through the cardboard.

1700300661861.png

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ok, now I understand what you're after what I'd suggest is you get yourself a small flypress like this and fit the punch to it.

Alternatively, you can make something like this and fit the punch to it. Just make sure the punch is really sharp or it might struggle a bit to cut through the cardboard.

View attachment 83581
That was the sort of thing I was thinking.

Maybe an arbor press though.

Bit of precision ground silver steel bar.

Blank underneath witha suitable hole size.

Not necessarily a quick solution though.

Reactions: slowworm and Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon

I have similar things, reloading presses. I have tried pushing a punch through and it works on softer material, such as cork, but not for tough card. As you say, sharpness is key but the punch I used may have been cheap rubbish as the edges would roll in use.

Making something is an option, but it'll join the very long list of things to make.

This is the commercial punch, reloading press mounted, a simple rod to cut and a slim gap to insert the material.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Maybe an arbor press though.
Might do it, but I'd probably go toggle or cam press for that last bit of oomph which is easy with a fly press, slightly less so with an arbor press.
Cookie-cutter die. Polypropylene cutting mat beneath.

However, you're rapidly ending up at the £100+ mark.

I wonder how well the jewellers' disc cutters work on card? I shall go and find out shortly.

Reactions: slowworm

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A hand press, something like this? This is just one a search brought up.

Reactions: Toddy and slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Would a leather punch not work ?

I've a few sets of those and have the same problem as wad punches, take a fair bit of effort to cut through card and the edges eventually roll over. I expect there's better quality ones out there but wouldn't know where to look or if they are all made from poor quality steel these days.

I have found something very similar that is designed to fit in a drill press so they cut as well as being pressed. I will try one of those unless a more suitable idea is suggested.

Reactions: Toddy

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, brass to reduce wear on the cutting die.

Don't think it'd be too hard to resharpen the cutter, when does dull.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My gemini cutter presses against silicon plastic plates. They're pretty cheap to replace, but would probably take a fair bit of punching using any of the other methods before wearing done, and they won't cause any damage to the metal edge.

Reactions: ESpy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE