eating freshwater fish (especially in the north east)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

edwred

the river blyth and pont (same river) near me has 1 angling club on a small stretch but is not owned elsewhere. i would still need to ask permission from a landowner to fish the river if their land ran down to the river, right? i cant hjust fish everywhere else there isnt an angling club.
also, theres a pond near me on a nature reserve/park that isnt owned and has free carp fishing. most carp ponds house perch (?) so maybe i could take them from there?
as for tackle, have you ever used a bucktail jig (the ones from agm lure fishing) for trout or perch?

cheers for the responses
tight lines

Reactions: Poacherman

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
the river blyth and pont (same river) near me has 1 angling club on a small stretch but is not owned elsewhere. i would still need to ask permission from a landowner to fish the river if their land ran down to the river, right? i cant hjust fish everywhere else there isnt an angling club.
also, theres a pond near me on a nature reserve/park that isnt owned and has free carp fishing. most carp ponds house perch (?) so maybe i could take them from there?
as for tackle, have you ever used a bucktail jig (the ones from agm lure fishing) for trout or perch?

cheers for the responses
tight lines
I've used a bucktail (not the exact one in your link, but very similar). Good for Jack Pike in my experience but I've not had a double on one. But then that's maybe because I'm fishing smaller stretches of river that won't hold the doubles..... action needs to be a fair bit sharper on the retrieve that with a spinner or soft lure. The Pike tend to take it on the drop or if it's sat on the bottom twitching.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan

cheers for the responses
tight lines
Yes but curly. tail soft plastic grub lures in milk white colour are much better so are spinners and there made by a American company called mister twister ,fish the free stretches off the river pont,blyth close to the public footpaths .I carn t see how landowners can own footpaths? maybe I'm wrong? iff there isnt any paths travel to other waters finding out who landowners are is not easy and farmers don't like being disturbed. The nature park seems your best bet unless it's a sssi site your rod licence states what u can take, And sizes. Even iff your acting legally be prepared for confrontation off self righteous jobsworth type men, freshwater fish are revered and worshipped for strange reasons in this country .But those same men still hook the things they worship in the mouth ,quite a bizarre practise find somewhere quiet and u can avoid drama.

Reactions: edwred

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan

cheers for the responses
tight lines
You will catch more using lobworms they trump all the lures but lures are still good to have .

E

edwred

can you catch trout on these white curl tails? i do have quite a heavy rod (10-60g) so quite a big jighead is needed. how do you rig them and what fish do you catch?
do you think its worth fidhing carp ponds for eating size perch?
as always,
cheers for the replies i like speaking to anglers who actually catch not a tweed lord on a blog

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
can you catch trout on these white curl tails? i do have quite a heavy rod (10-60g) so quite a big jighead is needed. how do you rig them and what fish do you catch?
as always,
cheers for the replies i like speaking to anglers who actually catch not a tweed lord on a blog
Using big jig heads is a big no no use 3 or 5 grams jig heads and a smaller up to 25 gram casting weight spinning rod yes trout love them but it's close season for trout now and u don't want to eat breeding trout they lose fat content n protein quality n taste revolting energy is drawn from there muscle to eggs ect try again in march.

E

edwred

i bought a 16g shakespeare devils own spinner and a fladen maxximus bua spoon for trouting. havent used either yet as its the close season. i bought my rod ( 10-60g 5pc travel rod, 10ft) because i only have a pushbike and dont have space for more then one rod- i sort of wanted an all round rod- lure fishing, float fishing, light legering in the sea for pollock, flounder, whiting. then also i wanted to be able to use bubble float and worm for trout, smaller lures for perch, maybe a bit of carp...
i have this with a 4000 shimano fx w/ 10lb mono- man in tackle shop said its fine...
i think some people are too particular/snobbish with fishing- e.g. "oh you simply can't use a size 11 hook rather than a 12... you wont catch anything"

• Haha

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
as always,
Yeh it's worth a try for perch it's better to use bait in winter perch don't like chasing lures expending energy when it's colder not like they do in summer anyway.Tweed lords? rich flyfisherman u mean yeh it's more about looking cool for them n not food.

E

edwred

could you use a cheb head instead.. do you catch trout on the curl tails? i found some here
that suggest a 1/0 hook and then some 10g 1/0 jigheads here

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
i bought a 16g shakespeare devils own spinner and a fladen maxximus bua spoon for trouting. havent used either yet as its the close season. i bought my rod ( 10-60g 5pc travel rod, 10ft) because i only have a pushbike and dont have space for more then one rod- i sort of wanted an all round rod- lure fishing, float fishing, light legering in the sea for pollock, flounder, whiting. then also i wanted to be able to use bubble float and worm for trout, smaller lures for perch, maybe a bit of carp...
i have this with a 4000 shimano fx w/ 10lb mono- man in tackle shop said its fine...
i think some people are too particular/snobbish with fishing- e.g. "oh you simply can't use a size 11 hook rather than a 12... you wont catch anything"
As your on a bike get a cheap 6 ,7ft telescopic rod 30 gram casting weight Max a cheap 3000 reel size is better for that length for comfort off carry, but not essential .Feed close and fish close in on the float Yeh your right about tackle tarts the fish only care about what's on the end off your line .

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
could you use a cheb head instead.. do you catch trout on the curl tails? i found some here
Before I answer how big are those grubs mister twisters in milk\paper white is best all fish have white bellies.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Yes trout adore them they banned there use on a any method trout lake near Barnsley way because I kept catching my limit and this annoyed the owners so they changed the rules.

• Haha
E

edwred

do you think my 10-60g rod will be ok for trouting? i just canna' be bothered to get a new rod ect after just buying this one a week ago and telling myself i will no longer buy more fishing gear lol

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
As for bubble float for trout youl find freelining catches u more in rivers they tend to smash hammer your bait they have big mouths so don't nibble like silverfish roach ect .And this is clearly visable on 6 to 10lb line freelining is a more natural presentation.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
do you think my 10-60g rod will be ok for trouting? i just canna' be bothered to get a new rod ect after just buying this one a week ago and telling myself i will no longer buy more fishing gear lol
Yes but a lighter rod imparts better life into small trout lures because off its tip action,just use bread cheese lobworms or prawns trout eat all readily.

E

edwred

freelined or bubble floated? cheers
do you think 3 inch grub w/ 10g 1/0 jighead is a good all round freshwwater lure for perch + trout?
i feel like im learning something from this thread lol

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
freelined or bubble floated? cheers
do you think 3 inch grub w/ 10g 1/0 jighead is a good all round freshwwater lure for perch + trout?
i feel like im learning something from this thread lol
Freelined yes, no 3 inches is quite big only big perch or trout or very hungry smaller ones will take 3 inch. Iff you want to catch more, and not occasional bigger ones 1\half to 2 inches is better just play with the sizes and use 3 to 5g jigs for smaller ones I wouldn't go over 3 inch.

E

edwred

alr ill manly freeline and float rather than lure fish- you can catch them (perch and trout) on 10g+ tobies tho?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE