eating freshwater fish (especially in the north east)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

edwred

hi,
I think freshwater fishing is much easier than sea fishing for a beginner, but i also want to take the occasional fish or 2 for the table. Does anyone else do this or know of any rivers with good enough fish stocks north of the tyne to do this?(or any with perch?) There are plenty of rivers with brown trout and grayling but i dont know if eating perch would be more sustainable.
cheers

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Perch tastes nice. As does pike. And chub.........

There are legal landing sizes by the way......

Last edited:
E

edwred

Hiya yeah the trouble is that in the area I live in (south end of Northumberland) mainly has small, clear fast running streams which are unlikely to hold perch or pike, which I really want to catch cuz you can take up to 16 perch a day from a river . You wouldn't know of anywhere they live north of the river Tyne would u?

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
hi,
I think freshwater fishing is much easier than sea fishing for a beginner, but i also want to take the occasional fish or 2 for the table. Does anyone else do this or know of any rivers with good enough fish stocks north of the tyne to do this?(or any with perch?) There are plenty of rivers with brown trout and grayling but i dont know if eating perch would be more sustainable.
cheers. for perch try Loch Lomond n loch Ken plenty perch/pike dogfish are exceedingly easy to catch when sea fishing there mini sharks n taste great.

E

edwred

Cheers for the reply.
I was kinda thinking something closer, around Newcastle way
Apparently the Tyne has some good stocks but most places you can fish are owned by an angling club who don't permit taking fish

E

edwred

Cheers for the reply I have read it before but the thing is getting permission to fish and take the fish you catch (perch from the Tyne) because a lot of the fishing rights along the stretches where perch are along the Tyne are owned by angling clubs, they can impose their own rules on top of the bylaws e.g no fish are to be taken. Id like to find a stretch of the river not owned by an angling club so it functions on the rod bylaws meaning I can take fish, but I don't know how I would get permission to fish that stretch, if I find one

Reactions: Madriverrob

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi,
Here in Norfolk, I’m sure else where, many of the local villages have a river or stream running through, generally next to a common. These stretches, along with common rights, are to free to fish, my near by village is lucky enough to support trout and ideal to flick a fly!
Knowing the area around Hexham quite well, there are villages with streams.
Tight lines
D

E

edwred

Thanks for the reply. So do you think Hexham has some form of free fishing? There's a place called ponteland which the river pont (very small) runs through and there's no angling clubs on it so I assume it's free fishing. My main species I would love to catch would be perch, but I think most freshwater fishing in the Tyne is owned by clubs sadly

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Cheers for the reply.
I was kinda thinking something closer, around Newcastle way
Apparently the Tyne has some good stocks but most places you can fish are owned by an angling club who don't permit taking fish
Go sea fishing it’s 100% free for dogfish there very easy to catch on squid or mackerel baits u can get box frozen baby squid for £5 in most fishmongers u don’t need to skin them with pliers skin comes off when cooked or pour boiled water n rub it off.

E

edwred

I do sea fish but I personally think freshwater fishing is a lot easier and more fun. I'm not too well learned on sea fishing marks so I mainly spin float fish for Pollock and light leger for flounder but I still have a great deal to learn cuz I've bland 4 times out of 5

Reactions: 1 pot hunter
E

edwred

Go sea fishing it’s 100% free for dogfish there very easy to catch on squid or mackerel baits u can get box frozen baby squid for £5 in most fishmongers u don’t need to skin them with pliers skin comes off when cooked or pour boiled water n rub it off.
How far do you need to cast for them cuz I only have a 9ft 20-80g rod and I dunno where they live near Newcastle/tynemouth

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Thanks for the reply. So do you think Hexham has some form of free fishing? There's a place called ponteland which the river pont (very small) runs through and there's no angling clubs on it so I assume it's free fishing. My main species I would love to catch would be perch, but I think most freshwater fishing in the Tyne is owned by clubs sadly
I doubt it because Hexham is game/salmon land however the small tributaries might not be owned but I’d check I’d assume it’s mostly trout n not perch though because perch like slow moving water Iff I’m honest trout taste a lot better than perch anyway and have much more meat n less bones,perch also have armour like scales wich are not fun to remove whilst trout skin/scales peel off easy when cooked.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
How far do you need to cast for them cuz I only have a 9ft 20-80g rod and I dunno where they live near Newcastle/tynemouth
You will catch them all over east Scotland on mixed ground casting wise cast beyond the waves/breakers dogfish really feed hard at night also there almost like eels in that regard .

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I do sea fish but I personally think freshwater fishing is a lot easier and more fun. I'm not too well learned on sea fishing marks so I mainly spin float fish for Pollock and light leger for flounder but I still have a great deal to learn cuz I've bland 4 times out of 5
Yeh I started off as a course angler try fishing some still waters Iff u want perch cos it’s mostly game fish up your way try some ponds or canals even .

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
hi,
cheers
Don't ignore the streams or ponds either, id advise to soak coarse fish in salt brine for 24\hours 48 iff its a large fish this ,removes muddy potato peeling taste river and pond fish have.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
do you poach ponds or ask permission to take fish?
Depends iff it's wild or owned iff it's wild and not owned by a angling club then on my rod licence im entitled to take so many fish off a certain size a day .There's plenty off wild streams and ponds that are owned by nobody in very remote areas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE