Water purification methods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

Just being nosey as to your prefered methods to treat water prior to consumption.
I have used the old Aquaclear tabs since a boy, now very old, i keep a piece of cloth in my mess tin to filter out the main crap first then boil for 3 mins, then use 1 tab per litre, the boiling bit is an old habbit.lol

Don

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I'm interested in this.
Is there any need, not that it can do any harm, to use three stages? I thought that any two from filter, boil, chemical were enough.

P

Philr

I drank straight from a brook when younger I know thats not good but Im still here.... but just curious as to what type of cloth you use to pre filter.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I agree,
but I believe its all down to personal preferences really, I know a few who just filter it!!!, my method is something I have done a long time and never had bad guts.

Don

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
If I'm by a river flowing at a reasonable speed and the water is clear, I'll drink from it without any purification or filtering. Obviously if there's anything floating in it, I'll be more inclined to filter/purify it, though, but I'm really not as safety-conscious as I should be.
If i'm near a river of any depth in the summer I'll probably swim in it (if it's deep enough, or at least lie in it), so I figure if I feel OK about swimming in it, I might as well drink it too... maybe that's a bad attitude to have? :rolleyes: But oh well, I've never been harmed by it.

It's worth noting what's upstream, if you can see it. When I lived up on Skye, I would always hike upstream to camp/swim anyway, so I could generally be relatively sure of its beginnings... Somewhere like the Faerie Pools I definitely wouldn't worry about, the water's fresh off the cuillins :D

Careful though, more than once I've found a dead sheep in the water.

And if the water is still, from a pond/loch etc, I'll filter and boil every time, no telling what's been soaking in it :eek:

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
To filter I use a sheet of muslin cloth, just to get any larvae or mud from it frist, its also a good time to decide wether its worth touching or not.

If I am out for a few days, i put up a collector i made which just collects dew from under it and rain off the top, it has a built in filter for bugs and leaves, a lot safer i think then some of the ****ty streams ive seen.

Don

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
For every "I drink from running water and have never been sick" story, there are a hundred of these . You can hike upstream all you like, but unless you hike to the source there is always a chance something unpleasant is festering just a bit further along, or somebody/something else who is infected with something decides to take a swim (and take a pee, why not?) or wash dishes or whatever at the next campsite up. Having said that, I spent my early years without treating the water I drank, and my parents and their friends still don't treat their water. They are old-school campers, to say the least. :D

We do chemical treatment, boiling or filtering depending on the situation. If necessary, we will prefilter with some old pantyhose to take as much detritus out as possible, then move on to another method. I use an MSR MIOX for when we're out in a group; it takes time but it does large volumes with little work. When done right, the chlorine taste evaporates off overnight. Of course, many use pump-action filters for the same job; MSR and Katadyn both make models that are popular out here. They treat small volumes (less than 4 L) very quickly, but require you to pump like mad. Boiling is always on the table, and most of our food is "add boiling water", so it's a no brainer.

We usually go like this: We hit our campsite and start to set up. Once our gear is spread around, tents and tarps are up and beds made, somebody goes to get water, usually in a big collapsible jug. Some of that water is poured off for boiling right away; hot drinks or a meal are usually what is on our minds. Meanwhile, somebody else treats the remaining water in the jug. That is allowed to sit for a while to purify, and gets used for camp chores for the evening. We refill our water bladders so they're ready to go in the morning and try to leave enough water for dishes in the morning.

The next am, somebody goes to the river and gets a big pot of water for breakfast and boils it. Eat, break camp and march on.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I admit, I have drunk unfiltered water from a glacier on the way down from a mountain. We'd had an epic and I was so thirsty...no excuse, I know. I was lucky and had no 'effects'.

I have got a little hand pump purifier but I have been converted to the MIOX purifier (http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/miox.asp). There's no boiling required and it's small, light and doesn't leave an aftertaste. The only problem is that you have to be organised. I carry two 1 litre bottles - both filled and purified the evening before; then I use one, fill it and 'MIOX' it (for want of a better verb), and that is working away whilst I drink from the other.

It is, however, quite expensive - I was v lucky in that a US military friend of mine got me one for virtually nothing. I'm not asking where he got it from...

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Fairly standard range of options here... In certain locations I'll drink untreated water (basically in places where I know what's upstream and it doesn't include livestock), for "in camp" treatment I'm happy with boiling, for treatment in a hurry or on the move I'll use my little PreMac pocket filter.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Good question.

Depends on where I am but usually I happy to filter and drink if I know the source, this is using a Waterworks EX that has a good ceramic filter.

Otherwise it's just a millbank and boiling.

I'm going to start using Polar Pure soon, to get used to the taste, as this will be used on a trip to Borneo this year.

I've tried to avoid chemicals so far because of the aftertaste but I have used puritabs from ration boxes and potassium permanginate as an experiment to see what they're like - drinking pink water is wierd :eek:

David

leon-1

The answer is very dependant upon where I am and what I am doing.

On Dartmoor most of the time water is taken directly from the stream / river and then boiled if I am at a static location. If Iam moving then I will run it through a Katadyn mini and steri tab it leaving the water for a good 30 minutes before using it.

If you are in foreign climbs (Africa, India or Asia) then the water will be filtered and tabbed no matter what.

I am sure there was a website that told of the different (primary) hazards from different locations as far as water was concerned, like heavy metals in India and places like Poland.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I live in the midlands and the area where i live is surrounded by towns and cities. If i got water from a stream which has traveled through a dirty old town, is it still safe to drink if you boil it? And what about farm chemicals?

leon-1

jon r said:
I live in the midlands and the area where i live is surrounded by towns and cities. If i got water from a stream which has traveled through a dirty old town, is it still safe to drink if you boil it? And what about farm chemicals?

Hi Jon there are specific problems with chemicals, some can be removed in an activated carbon filter, but others can be a bit more troublesome.

Generally filters remove particulate matter (bits of twig, leaf and dirt), in some cases where they are forcing water through a ceramic disc with holes that are 0.2 of a micron it will also filter out cysts and the like, however they are not normally designed to remove chemicals from the water.

IIRC the best filters for this are First Need filters however they are not gaurenteed to get everything out of the water as far as chemicals are concerned.

About the only way of filtering out chemicals is using a process of active sedimentation adding a chemical to neutralise some of the effects of whatever chemicals are in the water as well as filtering.

There is quite a good study of this that was carried out in India. The majority of the units used to filter were 2 or 3 stage, used active sedimentation and in some cases each stage was a similair size to a dustbin. They used chemicals like aluminium sulphate as well in the process.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Voivode said:
For every "I drink from running water and have never been sick" story, there are a hundred of these . You can hike upstream all you like, but unless you hike to the source there is always a chance something unpleasant is festering just a bit further along, or somebody/something else who is infected with something decides to take a swim (and take a pee, why not?) or wash dishes or whatever at the next campsite up. Having said that, I spent my early years without treating the water I drank, and my parents and their friends still don't treat their water. They are old-school campers, to say the least. :D
Well mate, I certainly won't deny it, it can be dangerous, and I don't really have any excuse other than laziness. And that I like the taste of fresh streamwater :rolleyes: Tis a bad habit I picked up when I was a little kid, perhaps I should try to change it... though I'm sure that there will ALWAYS be circumstances when I do just drink straight from a river. Possibly until some ill befalls me because of it...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I used to drink from the gills when walking on the hills.

The last time I did that was in the Lake District late April 1986.

I remember the date because I got back from a couple of weeks in the fells to find the Russians had blown the top off a reactor in Chernobyl.

I can't say that I glowed in the dark but If I'd been a sheep I couldn't have been sold for meat.... :240:

These days I filter and boil. It doesnt take long if you make it part of your routine

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Draven said:
Well mate, I certainly won't deny it, it can be dangerous, and I don't really have any excuse other than laziness. And that I like the taste of fresh streamwater :rolleyes: Tis a bad habit I picked up when I was a little kid, perhaps I should try to change it... though I'm sure that there will ALWAYS be circumstances when I do just drink straight from a river. Possibly until some ill befalls me because of it...

Hey, I've been there too, no doubt about it. I wouldn't want to make anybody feel like a villain because they don't follow whatever purification protocol I think is appropriate, and what I do isn't appropriate in areas that suffer from industrial runoff as mentioned earlier in the thread. I never suffered for dipping straight from the river, but the consequences when one is a day or two (or more) from civilization make me think twice about risking it. The last thing I want to be is a casualty that my pack-mates have to deal with in the backcountry. :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I can tell you that in the Norwegian mountains it is 99,99% safe to drink directly from lakes or streams without boiling and filtering. I think that goes for most such places.

There is no reason whatsoever to boil it there, I think you are culturally biased on this subject. Elma, ilovemybed and C_Claycomb can testify on this.

It is probably so in many other places too. Before the deforestation began, Amazonian indians drank directly from the great river. In a working ecosystem, without too much environmental degredation and overgrazing it will more than likely be safe to drink.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE