Trip Report Something Fishy in Tanglewood.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
This type of overnight camp as prompted by memories of past times. I used to spend a lot of my spare time Pigeon shooting when I lived in Southern England. The forays were all day affairs, in Summer easily 12 hours plus, out at first light and home at dusk and in winter I often set up in the hide before daybreak and got home after dark.

I was talking to a friend once long ago, he was a well known Worn Drowner as he seemed unable to pass any body of water larger than a puddle without dangling a hook with some unfortunate skewered invertebrate on it into the water. I was telling him about the tremendous eyesight that Pigeons possess and how I had to guard against too much movement in a Hide when brewing up, heating food etc:
The result was, he gave me one of his old Fishing Bivvies. My drill from then on was to place the old bivvy completely hidden in the hedgerow close to my shooting Hide. It didn't matter about having a field of view from the Bivvy, that wasn't it's purpose, but I could dive in there, brew tea, cook, sort cartridges and jig about to my hearts content without being seen. On more than one occasion I spent the night in the Bivvy, especially at Harvest time when the Grey Hordes were on the stubble practically at first light.
I used the same system for years afterwards and it was those memories that prompted me to raid my Piggy Bank and get Mr Ebay to send me a cheap Fishing Bivvy.

I'm still having to use bearings to find the camp spot in the Tanglewood, as the season changes and green growth develops the wood becomes even more impenetrable.

A second clear area close to where I camped on a previous trip.

Jobs to do first as the skinny wire pegs supplied may be ok for a smooth grassy river bank but useless in deep soft woodland soil.

Almost identical to the Bivvy my mate mate gave me years ago, but I went for the Gucci camo in the new version.

I'm 5'10" and had room to stretch out without touching head or feet, anyone much taller would have to curl up a bit.:)

The ground sheet is not attached so I used the thin original pegs to pin it in position within the Bivvy and found that tactic worked well
Plenty of room inside for my Bergan, boots and other gear. Sitting head room in a low camp chair too I would guess.

Onto important matters, a brew and a snack . Tea, savoury cheese biscuits and little round BabyBel cheeses.

Sorting through kit the other day I discovered this stainless steel folding Fire Bowl that my Daughter bought for me last year. I've never used it before so thought that this overnight would be a good opportunity to do so.

The weather is very mild and no rain is forecast There is a light wind from the South West but the dense woodland provides good shelter and with the Bivvy set back to wind there will be no need to roll the double zipped door closed.
Fire up the new fireplace gizmo...

Boil in the bag Casserole, instant mashed spud to dump in the bag when opened and chocolate topped Flapjack..How us Millionaires live eh? :laugh:

I've been meaning to take that piece of Gaffer tape off my home made Mess Tin lid for about 5 years...One day I will fit a proper handle...But somehow it has survived many many cooking fires.

The wood falls silent and I can hear the sea. The Moon just shows through the trees and makes the branches take on strange shapes against the sky.

View from the sleeping bag after a warm peaceful night.

Absolutely no condensation, a result of the fully open door. Some of my thoughts on using the Bivvy. It's nothing more than a glorified Tarp really. Instead of a ridge line there are 3 poles, which obviously make it heavier although it is free standing and can be shifted around if desired without all the hassle of re-rigging a ridge line and guy lines, if a move is needed. Weather protection is better, view is lessened but not at all bad with the door fully open. I could see a few pin holes on the top seams of the pole sleeves, so ideally a seam sealing session is required. As with my other cheap tents I'll Fabsill it which should sort out any seam leaks.
That process has worked with this cheap Eurohike tent, used in all weather for about 12 years now..and used a lot..:thumbsup:

I think for use in sheltered woodland in moderate weather, for me at least, the Bivvy will become a regular fixture for overnight trips. It's easy, no fuss, doesn't matter about handy trees for ridgelines and it's draughtproof which I liked. Weight wise, it's only a couple of miles at most from home to campsite, so the extra half Kilo or so won't bother me.

Left as found.

Going home. The Sea breeze has gone Easterly and it is slightly chilly, so meeting the warm local land air things are looking a little murky, but I'll manage..Hang on where's me compass? :roflmao:..:roflmao:

:thumbsup:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Really nice, the KISS method, no overthinking it or carrying extra. I’d imagine you were glad of the warmth from your small fire last night? I had to get up and let the dog out at about 03.00 and it was pretty chilly outside here at the foot of the South Downs, almost daylight from the moon too.

Reactions: saxonaxe

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" it was pretty chilly outside here at the foot of the South Downs, almost daylight from the moon too."

A very bright Moon but partly cloudy so quite mild until the early hours, but before Dawn the sky cleared and the temperature dived, so I was glad of Jungle Blanket over my sleeping bag. :thumbsup:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You gave the place a suitable name, my first clue that I must read such posts. Good also to read that the place is hard to find.
I hope that you are able to find or make several different avenues of approach. One well-trodden path might destroy the magic.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
" it was pretty chilly outside here at the foot of the South Downs, almost daylight from the moon too."

A very bright Moon but partly cloudy so quite mild until the early hours, but before Dawn the sky cleared and the temperature dived, so I was glad of Jungle Blanket over my sleeping bag. :thumbsup:
Good for you, I was going to add the only thing extra I’d have taken would have been a Jungle Blanket. I’m not a lot bigger than you but the XL version tucks in lovely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE