Water purification methods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
torjusg said:
Just curious, isn't destilling pretty much the only method available at sea?

Their distilling it to remove the salt, not to remove pathogens.
I guess what you'd do if you were long time stranded is to distill it and add a few drops of non distilled seawater back in, which will be very highly salty, probably too salty for much to live in rather like salting food to preserve it.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Glen said:
Their distilling it to remove the salt, not to remove pathogens.
I guess what you'd do if you were long time stranded is to distill it and add a few drops of non distilled seawater back in, which will be very highly salty, probably too salty for much to live in rather like salting food to preserve it.

Indeed, but distilling removes pathogens nonetheless. Not only are you boiling the water, but you're condensing the vapour phase, which tends to be as pure as your condensing substrate (that is, the plastic bag you're catching the steam on).

And if you are trying to purify your sea water, adding some back in will add the salt back in, but is counterproductive to purity. ;)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Voivode said:
And if you are trying to purify your sea water, adding some back in will add the salt back in, but is counterproductive to purity. ;)

True, maybe safest way would be to set aside a small container, let all the water evaperate off that and then add a pinch of seasalt back to the distillled cache.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Been thinking about this a little, and I'm not really convinced... Sure, distilled water will be very low in electrolytes - but then just about any water you'd want to drink is quite low in electrolytes, certainly too low to replace sweat / urine losses. If you're in a situation where your electrolyte levels are falling drastically, you need to deal with that as a completely separate issue from your drinking water. Plus, as has already ben stated, if you're in a situation where you're considering distillaiton as a water purification method, you really don't have any choice. It's the hardest, least efficient water purification method going, so you'd only use it as a last resort - and you'll die from dehydration quicker than electrolyte loss.

Another thing to consider is that a single pass through a field-expedient still isn't actually going to be very well distilled anyway...

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I don't like travel water filters. I bought a really expensive one once for a trip around India, the shop waxed lyrical about how you could safely drink ditch water yet it blocked up and died on day 4 of Delhi tap water! It took for ever to use and I probably sweated more working it than it actually produced. Millbank and boil in my opinion.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Distilled water contains no electroyles, the steam is pure water that is condensed back to get liquid water.

Sure regular water does not have a high concentration of electrolyes but it not like they are really high in your body either. I think the problem is when you drink it the electroyles in your body more readly dissolve in the water so as you pass urine you loose more than if you had drank mineral water etc. If your diet was poor and all you drank is distilled water then you could have problems.

The reason I mentioned it is that from what I have read it is not a good idea to drink distilled water. Sure if its life or death then drink it. I just wanted to make you all aware that if you use this as a purification method be aware that there is a negitive side. There is loads of info on the web if you are interested, some for and against. It's up to you to make up your own mind, I just wanted to make you all aware of it thats all.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Scuba Pete said:
I rolling boil will be suffient to kill anything in the water. What you are talking about is distillation of the water.

You should not drink distilled water, it does not contain any electrolytes (salt etc), as they are removed by the distillation. This means when you drink it you will loose far more electrolytes etc from your body when you urinate. Don't get me wrong, your not going to drop dead after a glass and if you are eating well then you will be fine. However it is something to consider, esp if you have little food about.

Actually Pete, to get back on the original subject the boys are not collecting the steam as distilled water! They are putting a container of water through a rolling boil so as to kill any pathogens present in the collected water. The water can then be cooled and kept in a clean water carrier to be used as and when. Unless of cause they want a nice hot drink from the boiled water.

This boiled water is not distilled it is just clean water that will still contain electrolytes in some form!
Distilling means collecting the gaseous steam off a heated liquid, then allowing it to pass through a cooling process where it turns back to a liquid state.
there by producing a distilled liquid.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
^^Greg, S8AN wrote this in post #37

over the years ive tried many different forms of water purification - the cleanest water was from boiling water then catching the steam with something overhead at an angle which then produces droplets that run into another container.

That's distillation - which is what Scuba Pete was commenting on.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Is this news?????

The oldest method of disinfecting for viruses is boiling. Contrary to previous thinking, boiling is now thought to kill all waterborne enteric pathogens immediately. Dr Howard Backer reports that any water is adequately disinfected by the time it reaches boiling point – even at altitudes of 24,000 feet where the boiling point is as low as 74.5 degrees C. Boiling will kill all organisms and is the most reliable method against Cryptosporidium. The main drawback for the survivor is arranging the facilities to boil sufficient quantities.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks dommyracer, I should I put a quote in the post.

In any case this thread is about your preferred purification methods. I was just commenting on one type mentioned.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Nice one Smarty - with the name Dr. Howard Backer I found this link:-

Water Disinfection for International and Wilderness Traveler
Howard Backer
Division of Communicable Disease Control, California Department of Health Services, Berkeley

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/CID/journal/issues/v34n3/010954/010954.html

Here's an extract:-

Heat

Heat is the oldest means of disinfecting water. The advantages and disadvantages of using heat for water disinfection are as follows:

Heat neither imparts additional taste to nor improves the taste, smell, or appearance of poor-quality water.
Heat is a single-step process that inactivates all enteric pathogens.
Heat's efficacy is not compromised by contaminants or particles in the water, as is the case with halogenation and filtration
Fuel sources may be scarce, expensive, or unavailable.

Heat inactivation of microorganisms is exponential and follows the rules of first-order kinetics [24]. Thus, thermal death is reached in less time when higher temperatures are used; lower temperatures are effective when a longer contact time is used. Pasteurization uses this principle to kill enteric food pathogens and spoiling organisms at temperatures of 60°C70°C, temperatures that are well below the boiling point [25]. All common enteric pathogens are readily inactivated by heat, although the heat sensitivity of microorganisms varies (table 2).

Table 2. Temperature and time required for heat inactivation of microorganisms.

Bacterial spores, such as Clostridium spores, are heat resistant (some can survive for long periods at a temperature of 100°C) and are ubiquitous in the natural environment, but they are not waterborne enteric pathogens [36]. Thus, sterilizationthe destruction or removal of all life formsis not necessary for drinking water.

Because enteric pathogens are killed within seconds by boiling water and are killed rapidly at temperatures >60°C, the traditional advice to boil water for 10 min to ensure potability is excessive. Because the time required to heat water from a temperature of 55°C to a boil works toward disinfection, any water that is brought to a boil should be adequately disinfected. Boiling water for 1 min or keeping water covered and then allowing it to cool slowly after boiling can add an extra margin of safety [37]. The boiling point decreases with increasing altitude, but this is not significant when compared with the time required to achieve thermal death at these temperatures.

Although heating water to boiling is not necessary, it is the only end point that can be easily recognized without use of a thermometer. The temperature of hot tap water and the temperature of water that is too hot to touch vary too widely to be reliable determinants of pasteurization of water [29, 31]; however, if no reliable method of water treatment is available, tap water that has been kept hot in a tank for some time (at an estimated temperature of 55°C60°C [140°F] for at least 30 min) is a reasonable alternative [38]. Travelers with access to electricity can boil water with the use of either a small electric heating coil or a lightweight electric beverage warmer brought from home. In austere or desperate situations, an adequate temperature for pasteurization can be achieved in hot, sunny climates by use of a solar oven or simple reflectors [39].

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have come across this thread after searching for something else entirley, and just thought what a huge pile of rubbish it is. I just thought a warning should be put on it with some sensible advice.

Most westernised people have no natural resistance to pathogens unlike other peoples. Thats why its bottled water only in hotels in spain, unlike the locals, the tourists are not used to it. I'll be honest though and say I do not know whether it's mineral or biological extras in spain that stop you drinking it.

As for the africans , yes they drink anything, and die, which is why we have adverts asking to enable them to have clean pure water.

Salts in water???? Don't drink distilled water ??? Most salts come from your food , sodium potassium magnesium etc. If you drink alot of water in one go you will wash your system of salts that will take a while for organs to replace. But you don't get salts from water.

Drink from a stream, with possibly fox or badger or any carniverous animal faeces near by?? It'll kill you ! Not even thinking about dead animals.

Drink from big streams and it'll be ok??

You have to drink upstream from connurbations, and you do not know that with big streams. You can only reduce chemicals and metals, so if the waters full of them already too many still get through

i can only think it's a **** take ! And a dangerous one at that.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
My preferred method is filtering then boiling. (Either by filtering using a Katadyn Pocket filter (heavy) or cloth).

But I also took a look at other methods that don't involve fire…

I've tried filtering and then UV treating as an experiment but to be honest I have a hard time trusting the UV treatment for some reason.

I also have a Sawyer Point Zero Two filter http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/products-pointtwo.html which can remove viruses and have used that as a base-camp filter connected to a water bladder.

Failing that you could always filter it and use purification tablets.

I wouldn't drink untreated water myself, especially when there are so many ways to make it clean. Even when I've been to sites that have a standpipe I've always treated it myself to be safe and as an exercise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE