Water to go

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
We are licky in Scandinavia. No nasties live in the water. The largest risk is a deceased tourist upsteam.
Here in Cayman ( tropics) I would not touch natural water, even boiled, unless it was a total catastrophy.
Our tap water is reverse osmosis seawater.
Licky scandis?
18ab428c5566c1882a65dd0f2d334335.gif

Sounds very interesting, not so good for tourists though 👍😁

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, Leshy. One of Canada's finest. How Bubbles stayed alive with those glasses, I'll never know.

But Janne, is there not the European beaver? No Gairdia parasitic infection?
I know one local guy here who got it so bad it left him lactose intolerant. So he claims.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Thanks, Leshy. One of Canada's finest. How Bubbles stayed alive with those glasses, I'll never know.

But Janne, is there not the European beaver? No Gairdia parasitic infection?
I know one local guy here who got it so bad it left him lactose intolerant. So he claims.

😁 Is the show still alive RV??? 😁
That go-kart is just awesome hey?😁

Anyways ...
One thing is for sure , water purification and the purification filter systems seem to simplify the process when on the move. Where a boil and a faff are not an option or practical.
Of course millbank bags and boiling water is tried and tested , as is activated charcoal and sphagnum moss with some fine sand but I'm very pleased to own a system that can PURIFY (as opposed to filter) water on the go ...

Drinking on the wing so to speak ..

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No, no Giardia in LUCKY :) Sweden! There have been outbreaks of various water birne diseases, but the majority were traced to imports by people returning from abroad.

We have a population of beavers, but I am not aware they carry disease.

The northern part of Scandinavia is Tundra, so cold. I would not dream of drinking natural water in the populated or agricultural parts of Sweden, only in forested or mountanious areas.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Think Trailer Park Boys is done. I watch very little TV so what's happened in the last few years, I know little about.
They could be family on my Dad's side. What a bunch of hoo-haws.

We've got Tundra, rather quite a lot of it. Polar desert, Nunavut is on my bucket list.
Not at all sure what the Inuit used to do for water. Melted snow is so hard on your guts.
Stupid tourists build extra inukshuk and screw with winter navigation.
Family in Dawson City, YT, should visit.

I'll stick the the Boreal Forest and the mountains, it's been my home for 45 years.
Mostly here, everybody travels with 2 x 5 gal water jugs.
I dump mine Nov.15 when the hunting season ends, or a major blizzard, which ever comes first.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Have used a Brita filter system when I lived in UK, and quite a high % were faulty

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Brita filters, they're meant for filtering out minerals from already clean tap water in your kitchen, i doubt they're more than activated charcoal in a mesh.

The testing data for the mini is on sawyers site, and makes for interesting if a bit dull reading;

https://sawyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Sawyer-Mini-Testing-Report.pdf

I wonder if this is comparable to how other outdoor filters are tested?

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I would never use a Brita filter for unclean water as it was not designed for that, but my point was that even a major brand like Brita has a % of faulty filters. A tiny company like the water-to-go will have at least the same.

I think the wtg filter would be an excellent addition to boiling. Replacing the purification tablets I use. (I still have a stash of the Swedish Army tablets I liberated three decades ago....will last be my life out, and my sons!)

The priming of the filter differs brtween their site and what the testing company states they used?

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I would never use a Brita filter for unclean water as it was not designed for that, but my point was that even a major brand like Brita has a % of faulty filters. A tiny company like the water-to-go will have at least the same.

I imagine the quality control of a filter meant to stop kettles scaling up to that of a filter designed to stop people getting sick would be somewhat different.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
how would you know they were fault - they are basically pointless if you have a domestic water supply and as you say not any use for contaminated water?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I imagine the quality control of a filter meant to stop kettles scaling up to that of a filter designed to stop people getting sick would be somewhat different.

Every manufactured item has a certain ration of faulty manufacture. The Manufacturer tests a percent of the batches ( is stated in the specs in ordering) for accurancy in designand faults.
I noticed on the Brita filters that water ran through freely, much faster than normal, and the water tasted same as the tap water. I lived in East Sussex and the drinking water was horrible, specially so in late summers, compared to what I was used to from Sweden.
Some filters even added an extra chemical taste.
The manufacturer can not test every filter! Quality control is important, but the company that orders them do so with a certain accepted fault margin.
No production produces 100% perfect goods to spec, not even stuff ordered by NASA. A tiny % of parts fall outside the manufacturing parameters.
That is why you get faults with factory new cars. Or RR jet engines.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The reason I would be a little bit careful of using wonderful tech like this as the sole method is that you are risking becoming a bit less cautious in your selection of water source.
Then you become sick if the filter is faulty or you contaminate the system.

It is one thing to get the runs and throwing up at home from a sodgy takeaway, another thing if that happens 30 miles from nearest help/ house and you are alone.

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Your always going to need to accept a bit of risk, the same is true of puri tabs and the like, not being made up correctly,

I agree that boiling is pretty much a 100% foolproof method to treat water, but its a lot of effort and it sometimes simply isn't possible, even then boiling wont kill everything, no treat for chemical contamination etc..

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Drinking tap water in mid East Sussex was risky most of the year. Drinking it in late summer was kind of Russian Roulette.

Maybe the water company has improved the quality since we moved a decade ago?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The reason I would be a little bit careful of using wonderful tech like this as the sole method is that you are risking becoming a bit less cautious in your selection of water source.
Then you become sick if the filter is faulty or you contaminate the system.

It is one thing to get the runs and throwing up at home from a sodgy takeaway, another thing if that happens 30 miles from nearest help/ house and you are alone.

This is very true. The source should be the best possible available.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In my army unit, a sister regiment to the one Lars Fäldt worked for ( but better! :) ) we were teaching the soldiers to use charcoal and white moss to purify water.
They had to do it a couple if times, as it would be useful when they ran out of purification tablets. In some instances like a close observation post it was impossible to search for the best possible water, you used what was available closest.
Usually water from a ditch. 2 tablets in a canteen did the trick!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE