Very, very happy (but a bit bewildered)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I thought it was near impossible to steal a modern car these days? Certainly near impossible to get a new bloody key for realistic money.
Sorry about the car mate, thieving filth they are, dam their eyes!
New keys are easy, buy one from Ebay, then almost all cars can be put into program mode to set up the new key. I did my Yaris last year and a Subaru Forester this year, cost per key is about £20 instead of the garage's several hundred. Google is your friend. Many cars are vulnerable to hacking just the same as computers.

Harvestman, I hope you get your car and contents back, the hassle of dealing with that sort of thing is a complete pain in the rear.

I can sort-of understand theft because greed is a pretty basic human thing, although most of us wouldn't dream of doing so. The one I really can't understand is vandalism.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
some small solace I hope!.... the car was insured, and when you last saw it, the vehicle was on your drive off the road, not on the highway, therefore the fact the mot had ran out is non admissible, if you where involved in an accident then that may have a different outcome, however you at the time of the incident where not in breach of any law, so therefore the claim shouldn't be affected.

like I said, small solace my thoughts are with you chap.

Adam.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If you need a knife for another response pack. I've got a Lansky world wide legal or UKPK you can have.

The knife is a tiny thing, I think I got it from my dad as a bit of junk. Or possibly for pence at a car boot, I don't remember. No history, no appreciable value. I'd be robbing people to take anything to replace it.

Thanks for the offers though. As I remember, what was in the pack was a self-assembled survival tin, various firelighting materials, a fleece towel, some handwash stuff, a small first aid kit in a brass first aid tin (the tine is old and probably the only thing of value there, a mini torch, insect repellent, suncream. Nothing else that I remember. The response pack was probably worth more than the contents.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
If the keys were taken it's burglary. SOME car insurers won't pay out, they will tell you to claim on your home insurance.
It's really important that you check the status of her keys, and change any locks affected.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sorry to hear of this Mike.:(

Its a common thing. Thieves wait until its dark, keep an eye on you in the house if they can see in, look what you have from outside and sneak in through a door and grab what they want... car keys are a high priority.

They are called "Sneak" burglaries round here.

No, she really can't find them, and her coat is nearer the door than mine. Maybe.

Which would me that the dog slept through it, which is possible because he is old and deaf.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sorry to hear of this Mike.:(

Its a common thing. Thieves wait until its dark, keep an eye on you in the house if they can see in, look what you have from outside and sneak in through a door and grab what they want... car keys are a high priority.

They are called "Sneak" burglaries round here.

Well, no way to see into out house as curtains were closed, but it isn't hard to assume that coats would be near the door. I just wonder why us. There are nice cars in our street, and pensioner bungalows a few yards away, either of which might seem an easier or more tempting target.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Many sympathies Harvestman.

A friend had his car nicked a couple of years ago, they ran in the front door, picked the keys up from the kitchen and ran out again. My friend was in the toilet at the time, he'd run in himself and not locked the house front door. The insurance tried not to pay out but did in the end.

I've got 2 vehicles I'm dealing with just now. My van was screwdrivered in town and then the car got done shortly after. It's not just the upset it causes but the increased insurance for years to come. I'd go to prison for a long time if I caught them.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Have just had the police round. Forensics took a look and decided not worth the trouble as there was nothing to see or do (and I agree), the officer took a statement. Both said it is probable that we will get the car back eventually, as setting them on fire seems to be out of fashion.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Have just had the police round. Forensics took a look and decided not worth the trouble as there was nothing to see or do (and I agree), the officer took a statement. Both said it is probable that we will get the car back eventually, as setting them on fire seems to be out of fashion.

I hope you do. If it was a gang of kids doing it for fun, then it's possible. But if it was a professional, then it's unlikely it's still in one piece. Not only is it easier to sell parts (few of them have identifying markings) but it's far, far more profitable as the parts are worth more than a car.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I hope you do. If it was a gang of kids doing it for fun, then it's possible. But if it was a professional, then it's unlikely it's still in one piece. Not only is it easier to sell parts (few of them have identifying markings) but it's far, far more profitable as the parts are worth more than a car.

Especially my car. Feeling is this was an opportunist crime, try a few doors and see who was stupid enough to leave their unlocked with the keys in a coat nearby. Less than 30 seconds in the building, and gone.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats good news at least - I keep a box full of lock and key sets - was going to send you some - but can't help with car - sorry :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE