Very, very happy (but a bit bewildered)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
What goes around comes around mate!! Everything happens for a reason!! Good luck getting it all sorted mate!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
What goes around comes around mate!! Everything happens for a reason!! Good luck getting it all sorted mate!

Thanks for the good wishes. Sadly in this case the reason was that some scumbag had a help-himself attitude. The wife is in bits over it all, and the insurers have just confirmed that our policy does not include a courtesy car, so my ability to get to work now consists of a 4 mile walk, since the public transport links are inadequate and I work shifts. Well, I did need to lose weight...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sorry to hear this, it's always annoying when your life crosses the path of folk who think they have a right to just take what you've worked hard for! :tapedshut:cussing:

No need. the car key was the only one taken. There was nothing else on that particular keyring. Just need to learn to lock the door (now that the horse has bolted).

Even if they're not missing, if the house keys were _reasonably_ accessible, I'd change the locks. You don't know that they weren't copied and the car being taken, by your own description of its condition, is an odd opportunistic theft :dunno: .

Think of it this way ~ You believe that the car was the target and it and a set of keys is all which are missing. So you make a claim and replace the car ... and, if the thief did copy the house key(s) they have easy access to your new car ... Or alternatively, if they've made copies from imprints, they wait for you to go out and have easy access to everything in your home.

It's not uncommon for burglars to return to a house to steal for a second time :( ~ we all tend to live in the belief that 'lightening doesn't strike the same place twice ...' and quickly let our guard down :(

I'm a born cynic :eek:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sorry to hear this, it's always annoying when your life crosses the path of folk who think they have a right to just take what you've worked hard for! :tapedshut:cussing:

Even if they're not missing, if the house keys were _reasonably_ accessible, I'd change the locks. You don't know that they weren't copied and the car being taken, by your own description of its condition, is an odd opportunistic theft :dunno: .

Think of it this way ~ You believe that the car was the target and it and a set of keys is all which are missing. So you make a claim and replace the car ... and, if the thief did copy the house key(s) they have easy access to your new car ... Or alternatively, if they've made copies from imprints, they wait for you to go out and have easy access to everything in your home.

It's not uncommon for burglars to return to a house to steal for a second time :( ~ we all tend to live in the belief that 'lightening doesn't strike the same place twice ...' and quickly let our guard down :(

I'm a born cynic :eek:

Intelligent thought. Thanks for the advice. Wife is insisting on a new front door so we may well end up with a new lock anyway.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just spoke to the insurers, and that went fairly smoothly. They don't appear to be throwing any obstacles into our way, so hopefully we will get value of the car plus contents. Just need to do all the paperwork when it arrives.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Sorry to read this Mike.

It's the hassle and the thought of someone possibly being in the house. Been there, not nice at all.

Pete

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Apparently one of the neighbours has told the police they saw the car leaving at about midnight, which was when I was just going to bed. I heard nothing, and the dog didn't respond either (he is hard of hearing, but not totally deaf), so aside from the fact that we can't find a car key there is actually nothing to prove anyone was in our house. They may just have taken the car, and we may find the key in a pocket at some point. That's actually useful, as it means the insurance can't say "Well, you left the door unlocked" because there is no proof anyone entered the property.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The car has been found! Apparently intact, undamaged, and with the keys in the ignition. No idea if the contents are still present. but I call that a great result anyway! We were going to buy a new car tomorrow so this news saves us a lot of money. It does show that we were burgled after all though, so the dog is definitely sacked on the grounds of incompetence!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Glad you are sorted - now change those door locks and lock the door!

We have new locks, and a security system you would need a battering ram to get through! My wife doesn't do things by half. The stable door has been re-built and fortified, and now the horse is coming home too!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry hadn't seen this before Mike and sorry for the loss and upset to you and yours. Glad it's all worked out and the car was returned. Try not to be too hard on the pup, sure he would've barked if he'd heard. Remember a pal who'd shouted at his dog to shut up when it was actually telling his someone was in his shed. He was to lazy to go check.
Glad yer all safe and sorted.
GB.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sorry hadn't seen this before Mike and sorry for the loss and upset to you and yours. Glad it's all worked out and the car was returned. Try not to be too hard on the pup, sure he would've barked if he'd heard. Remember a pal who'd shouted at his dog to shut up when it was actually telling his someone was in his shed. He was to lazy to go check.
Glad yer all safe and sorted.
GB.

Nah, I'm kidding about the dog. He's old and largely deaf, and he was never employed as a guard dog. He would probably have wagged at a burglar without barking even if he had noticed.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have new locks, and a security system you would need a battering ram to get through! My wife doesn't do things by half.

Good girl! Throw in double gates, CCTV and security lights whilst you are at it.

Clearly we are not allowed to deal with burglars these days so we have to deter them or record them in the act (so that their social worker can send them on a holiday that we pay for)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE