Urban Bushcraft.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Due to circumstances surrounding the death of a family member, one that was once as a son to me, I am somewhat less focused on bushcraft from a bush perspective at the moment and more on bushcraft and survival techniques from an urban point of view. Economically times are tough for a lot of people and a lot more people are finding themselves homeless. I am taking a look at things, the socioeconomic impacts of the recession here in this town, from the street level. From environments to resources, the gangs, the squatters camps etc. I have started posting pictures on this on another site but thought being as many here go to the bush to escape such thoughts perhaps I shouldn't post it here. So I just wanted to pop in and let friends know where I am at the moment. I don't know if the same is happening over there so if any of you are interested in dicussing this subject from a different point of view just say so and I can transfer the material over here to this thread.

Thanks,

Brian

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Very sorry to hear of your loss. My family and friends have also lost someone dear to us in tragic circumstances very recently.

I understand your thoughts are elsewhere but I hope this is not the last we hear from you. I've always enjoyed your contributions, pictures and tales from your part of the world.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
HI Mistwalker.

The only noticeable sign of more trouble in Edinburgh is a lot of empty city centre offices. There may be a bad moon rising though.

I'm not sure about urban bushcraft but something I would consider is Guerilla Gardening.

Peace.

:240:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Out thoughts are with you Brian. Times are tough for a lot of people at present but hopefully there is brighter news on the horizon.

Looking forward to seeing more of your piccies again soon

ATB

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
hey brian,
very sorry for your loss, it's never easy- but if there's one place you'll find support it's here, some very kind people on BCUK.......

head up champ,

wil

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Don't need to know details to feel for you mate. I'd echo whats been said already, particularly Prawnster and Wilderbeast.
lost familly recently and following encouragement from some who post here and on a simialar forum rehandled an old knife with a lot of relevant history and value. Glad I did.

If your uncertain of posting your recent ideas here possibly just put a link to this other site? See what response ?

Duncan.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. My family and friends have also lost someone dear to us in tragic circumstances very recently.

I understand your thoughts are elsewhere but I hope this is not the last we hear from you. I've always enjoyed your contributions, pictures and tales from your part of the world.
Thank you all for your thoughts, your friendship is much appreciated.

I'll still be around. just busy studying other areas at the moment. I've done a little more with some of the smaller knives. I am deciding what is best to be carrying in my outings. Partly I have been studying the local infrastructure, but I have been "stalking" gang members dealing drugs...but stalking with a camera not any weapons. I have also been taking a close look at available natural foods in the park. I'll post more on the knives I am working with in the working with smaller knives thread.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Mistwalker,firstly may I echo what has been said above regarding your loss.
Secondly,one step on from the homelessness problem,I read with interest about the smallhomes movement over there. The idea of taking smaller areas,sheds,barns,cabins and reacting to these difficult times by aiming for a simpler life,or at least a less energy hungry,less materialistic way of living.
Any sign of this where you are?
My best.
Chris.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Please do post more when you have the time and the inclination, I enjoy and learn a lot from your contributions.
My sympathy for your loss- keep positive.

Dirk Diggler

Jan 19, 2009
Stockport
Condolancies on your loss Mistwalker.

When you see fit, i would like to hear more on your toughts regarding bushcraft and survival techniques from an urban point of view, as its something that i have also become interested in, i think it could and probably will become more and more relevant over the next few years, but thats another discussion ....

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Brian,

keep your chin up mate, things will get easier once the rawness has gone and as said earlier, the folks on here are really supportive even if we are miles away ! My thoughts go to you and your family, keep em close and safe. One last thing, i love your posts and pictures so don't become a stranger.
all the best
Andy

Our thoughts are with you and yours Brian.

Take care with the "stalking"...

Why not post a link to the other place? Some may be interested to see its content.

Simon

Thank you Simon, and all of you. Your thoughts are much appreciated, and it is good to see I have made some great friends.

I always take care when stalking...there are many places still in this world of ours where an unwary hunter can become the hunted.

Ok...since you bring it up maybe that is a better idea. But be warned I personally do very little outside of the Wilderness & Survival Skills area of this forum I am posting a link to. While there are many great people there, and many great knife makers, there are several who would be well served by a lesson in manors. You go to this other forum of your own free will...I will not advertise for them (and I am a paying member) I just post and read in the sections I do there because they have a very large, international membership and I like to study subjects from all possible angles. So far most of the people I have talked to in the W&SS section there have been great people, so I stick to that area. Also while basic membership is free there, it is required in order to view posts.

Here is a link to the thread

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640368

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE