Urban Navigation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Change of pace from Rural to Urban environments.

What common indicators of direction ( N.E.S.W ) are there in cities and urban environments ?

I can think of Two easy ones but interested if there are more and or do you have any navigation hacks or habits when in an unknown city either here or elsewhere.

bearbait

I always carry a compass in strange cities: it helps orient oneself rapidly when arriving back at ground level from a subway / underground railway / station that has multiple exits. Ditto then to head the right way down the street after emerging therefrom. Or even from an above ground multi-story car park with multiple exits. Also makes finding the car relatively easy again in the multi-story car park: I was on the NE side on the 7th floor...

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Satellite dishes point south in northern hemisphere, because the ideal geostationary orbit for fixed position satellites is near the equator.

Reactions: Ozmundo

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

What common indicators of direction ( N.E.S.W ) are there in cities and urban environments ?

I can think of Two easy ones but interested if there are more and or do you have any navigation hacks or habits when in an unknown city either here or elsewhere.
weather cocks often have NWES beneath them. churches run east west, solar panels on houses always face south,. theres 3
i did 7k miles round europe in my van. All I had was a compass and map. From the arctic circle in Sweden I followed south all the way to Gibraltar. I got lost only once in the center of Turin. I was headin west and used the compass takining every left turn I could to go south. I got out in less time than if I actually knew the way. great fun x

Reactions: Ozmundo

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Same old drum I’m afraid.
Navigate anywhere, rural or urban using ///w3w. A lot of places in towns and cities are using it in their literature. Never mind the coffee shop, it will get you to my table.

I’m not good at navigating cities. I can’t keep the angles in my head. Google maps, w3w and an AtoZ make it possible.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Long ago in London I asked a bloke the way to a specific building. He froze, and looked straight ahead as I explained what I wanted to find - then he relaxed and sort of talked to me just pointing on an A to Z.
I was very conscious that I’d scared this man as he was just walking about town. It hurt me.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

what were the two easy ones you thought of? x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

where is the rural navigation thread. i want to look please.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
where is the rural navigation thread. i want to look please.

I don't think we have one thread that covers alot of the rural /wild indicators.

Maybe an opportunity to start one??

The books of Tristian Gooley are worth a read if you can get your hands on them,

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Simple enough just to use one of the maps on a mobile phone nowadays.

Yes = again no doubt.

In the same way if in a rural setting there is no ingrained benefit from recognising and using all the natural indicators of nature. Its just a nice 'skill' to be able to coordinate with what one can see if one doesn't have anything more specific to hand - like a.... Map

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE