Urban Navigation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Agreed. Navigating a city using infrastructure and environmental clues is a skill akin to making fire using a bow drill. Those who have the skill can take a very reasonable pleasure and pride in their ability to use what is on hand.

The rest of us are happy to use a range of very available tools to achieve both fire and destination.

Reactions: Herman30

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Agreed. Navigating a city using infrastructure and environmental clues is a skill akin to making fire using a bow drill. Those who have the skill can take a very reasonable pleasure and pride in their ability to use what is on hand.

The rest of us are happy to use a range of very available tools to achieve both fire and destination.

Agreed. No need for you to comment any further then. Thanks for your input so far -its been invaluable.

• Wow
Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
In my early youth I was taught how to find South using a wrist watch. This was before any form of digital watch. Does that count? I’ve never used it except as a demonstration.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I always carry a compass in strange cities: it helps orient oneself rapidly when arriving back at ground level from a subway / underground railway / station that has multiple exits. Ditto then to head the right way down the street after emerging therefrom. Or even from an above ground multi-story car park with multiple exits. Also makes finding the car relatively easy again in the multi-story car park: I was on the NE side on the 7th floor...
Some of the stars are still visible despite light pollution. Sirius is south in winter and the plough will point you north even if polaris is not visible and you can use the sun wherever you are. x

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Depends on time and day of the week. Friday & Saturday night groups of blue lights are usually going toward the middle. :p

Reactions: Macaroon

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If you roughly know a town then you could use signs of landmarks such as A&E, seafront or a station.

Personally I don't always have a phone or data on it so can't rely on it for a map. Even the maps I have are get out of date quickly as well.

I would also caution about solar panels, quite a few round here point west or SW, some east.

I half want to joke about moss growing but has anyone checked an east / west road to see if there's more moss/algee/mould on the side that faces away from the sun? Even a flower bed might help.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you roughly know a town then you could use signs of landmarks such as A&E, seafront or a station.

Personally I don't always have a phone or data on it so can't rely on it for a map. Even the maps I have are get out of date quickly as well.

I would also caution about solar panels, quite a few round here point west or SW, some east.

I half want to joke about moss growing but has anyone checked an east / west road to see if there's more moss/algee/mould on the side that faces away from the sun? Even a flower bed might help.
Doesn't even work in the country and on trees :) - total myth

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

the only time solar panels face east or west is when they are on revolving mounts and follow the sun. for maximum power intake they must face south. if they dont and dont rotate then they wont be good and will be next to useless in winter. I would say its reasonable to suggest that solar panels are a reliable indicator of direction. I'm sure one or two are placed wrong. the ones near you may have been sold by someone dodgy x

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
the only time solar panels face east or west is when they are on revolving mounts and follow the sun. for maximum power intake they face south. if they dont and dont rotate then they wont be good and will be next to useless in winter. the ones near you may have been sold by a dodgy dealer x
I know the theory but plenty of houses have had solar panels fitted, probably with grant money, and they don't have a south facing roof. SW facing makes sense as you get the solar late in the day when it might be more useful but they're slapped on all sorts of roofs. I even saw one house where they are almost north facing.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I know the theory but plenty of houses have had solar panels fitted, probably with grant money, and they don't have a south facing roof. SW facing makes sense as you get the solar late in the day when it might be more useful but they're slapped on all sorts of roofs. I even saw one house where they are almost north facing.
I know. I just edited my post to mention that. I think to confirm they are south you would have to look at the time of day and see where the sun was at x

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not so much a navigation hack but a useful thing I've had a few girlfriends do is to once parked up or leaving a foreign hotel or building is to once a little distance away yet still close to , look back an identify the prominent salient taller building / structures or points of interest that an be easily identified.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE