Unususal experiences when out bushcrafting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have to say BF that i feel a little insulted that just because you have been asked to expand in points which you stated as fact, you feel as though you are being accused of something, I'm really interested to hear unexplained tails, they really do interest me. But if a snippet is given then imidiatly followed by "I wish i could expand but" it gives me the impression that the tail might not be real. you could always change the details, so as to tell the story with out giving away the pertanant truths, please tell servailance tail, perhapse by pm so it's not on the open forum, I am really intersted in hearing it.

Southey

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A quote from the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon strip comes to mind.

"Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

All of my strange experiences after dark have involved people operating under the influence of excessive amounts of alcohol.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
The last thing I wanted to do was to insult anyone on here or anywhere else.
if you did feel insulted then I am deeply sorry it was not intentional.
But trying to say as best I dare got me quite a few insults which am sure were unintentional.
As I stated early on today the story re nottingham was one relayed to me and may have been expanded upon via poetic licence of the man who told me.
You are right I should not have added little snippets of the stories.
but I did so cos deep inside I wanted to tell them.
Yet fear of certain things. holds me back!! please remember or if you have not seen from my earlier post I was nearly kicked to death over this subject.
And even though you know the best thing is say nothing. its hard to hold onto and say nothing about things which are beyond normal comprehension, yet you know are true.
I would love to tell everyone about the special ops story but dare not.
I doubt very much that after the ordeal I suffered even the bravest amongst us would be quick to speak again

I have no doubt that you are very interested in the tale but I dont think I will be sending it!! have had enough ridicule from this post and am not saying you have taken the **** at all but my confidence has been somewhat shaken!!!
And no doubt someone reading this thread will have another dig at my ribs for the rest of a story they will choose not to believe and I dont think that would be fair.
I have not poked fun at, sneered at, or in any way, debunked anything anyone had said.
I dont think I warranted what I have recieved. as I said I have no doubt someone else will have another go before this thread fizzles out and that is up to them.
I will not be doing the same.
but as in the motto of berghaus "trust is earned"
best wishes
I have to say BF that i feel a little insulted that just because you have been asked to expand in points which you stated as fact, you feel as though you are being accused of something, I'm really interested to hear unexplained tails, they really do interest me. But if a snippet is given then imidiatly followed by "I wish i could expand but" it gives me the impression that the tail might not be real. you could always change the details, so as to tell the story with out giving away the pertanant truths, please tell servailance tail, perhapse by pm so it's not on the open forum, I am really intersted in hearing it.

Southey

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have no doubt that you are very interested in the tale but I dont think I will be sending it!! have had enough ridicule from this post and am not saying you have taken the **** at all but my confidence has been somewhat shaken!!!

I think it's time to let this thread fade away now BF, get stuck into some bushcrafty stuff instead I reckon.

You've probably worked out by now that a lot of folk on here are down to earth and call a spade a spade if you know what I mean.

Nothing wrong with having firm views about a subject you feel strongly about, just maybe save them for other forums.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
When I was younger I was out shooting in the woods, standing just off the path when a big dog ran past me. It's not a wood people go walking in as most of it's a bit overgrown and it's miles from the main roads so I wasn't expecting to see anything like that. Wierd thing was it just blanked me and ran back in the direction I'd just come from. I hadn't seen anyone and didn't for the rest of the day. I couldn't even work out where it had come from as the path was a dead end.

More recently I was walking back from the pub in the dark (how many stories start like that...) along country lanes with the missus navigating by the light on her phone. I told her we didn't need it as it was bright enough, so she turned it off and we continued in the dark. A bit further on we hear nails on tarmac running flat out towards us, probably a fox or something but it wasn't quite bright enough to see. By the time she'd got the light on it had gone anyway, probably scared off by the noise. Still worrying why it was running at us though. I carry a torch now...

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Thanks to this thread and the old ones reprised by JonathanD I've now got the ab dabs.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,
I am the original poster of the topic. I have really enjoyed reading all the posts and following the links and reading other posts. Thank you all for that.

Most importantly the spirit and open mindedness that allows these discussions to be had is commendable. Whatever the true nature of these experiences, what is real is the profound effect they have had on the people who they belong to, and we should never take that away from them regardless of our own beliefs.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Here's one for you. One nice night in 1968, me and a mate camped on the clifftop at Aldborough a little village about 15miles away. Beautiful clear night and we just lay in our bags gazing at the stars. We spotted a star moving erratically slowly towards our direction and we offered each other suggestions as to what it might be. No way an aeroplane so thought about a wandering star. As it got nearer it didn't look as high as the stars and looked a little brighter so we thought it was a weather balloon. As it reached the coast high above us it remained motionless for a while so we thought helicopter. But we couldn't hear anything. Then it started moving slowly northwards. After a while we noticed that it was following exactly the coastline so knew it was a helicopter. It traced perfectly every cove and headland but we couldn't understand why it was following the coast unless looking for someone but why no searchlight in that case and why so high?

When it reached the seaside town of Hornsea it hovered again for a while then shot out to sea and cleared the horizon in 2 - 3 seconds! Faster then any plane by far.

The Hull Daily Mail carried a story a couple of nights later about policemen in Lincolnshire following a UFO but having to give up when it crossed the Humber. (Before the bridge was built) Regards, Geoff.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
A bit further on we hear nails on tarmac running flat out towards us, probably a fox or something but it wasn't quite bright enough to see. By the time she'd got the light on it had gone anyway, probably scared off by the noise. Still worrying why it was running at us though. I carry a torch now...

That's a badger for sure.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
woke up one morning in my hammock, heard footsteps outside so i unzipped the hammock and took a look, nothing was there, looked over to Davey569' hammock and it looked as though he was asleep, then i heard a Screech, turned around and a strange creature dressed in green jumped out from behind a tree, in my half awake zombified state i literaly jumped out of my skin in terror and screamed "Sh** its a Goblin", then i realised it was none other than the early riser davey, i still havent got him back for this..... oh he also woke me a couple of mornings later by throwing a spoon at my head, that hurt like hell.

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Further to that, I must add that my father is a well respected and acknowledged expert on most things he considers 'offworld', and I was brought up with the knowledge that alien civilsations have existed and died millenia before homo sapiens evolved. So not only do I believe there are more advanced civilisations out there, but there have been and will be long after we are gone. Evidence for them arriving here once, let alone hundreds of times is absolute zero.

Has your father penned any books or scientific papers on the subject? How about his name, and I'll do a search on Amazon or on various academic-paper search engines I know?

Unfortunately, people believing what others tell them (and this is no way a slight on you or your father) is the fundemental basis for religion, and coincidentally suicide bombers!

Religion is basically believing peoples accounts of an event that they weren't even witness to themselves - which just so happens to neatly coincide with UFO stories.

I know a lot of people who firmly believe in Jesus Christ, even though the story of his birth on december 25th, 3 kings, star in the east, died for 3 days, was resurrected, all date back to 3,000BC (lookup the story of Horus). All of these facts have astronomical basis (and yes, I can provide evidence and links, which most importantly people can then investigate FOR THEMSELVES, rather than just believing me which is what I DON'T want.

However when you present people with this evidence, they become even more defensive and come up with the most outrageously flawed logic to try and explain their way out of it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128490874

However, can anyone ever prove to others what they have seen?

No they can't, as proof itself requires the person being convinced of seeing it for themselves.

There is no question that there are a lot of people out there who firmly believe in UFO's - I believe that the mathematical odds being in favour of life out there somewhere, and I believe in UFO's - REAl UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS. Not Alien's, but UFO's - ball lightning being one such phenomena.

Instead of simply believing others and passing on heresay, why not do some research, present it in a book with citations and evidence, and then we'll see shall we?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
We have no evidence of visitation by others. (thats the religious bit)

There are lots of evidence of strange phenomena with a variety of effects...studied by science, some guys devote their entire careers to it. (thats the scientific bit)

if you see something odd, remember its only odd if you cant explain it (thats the philosophical bit)

Theres stuff that doesnt obey the laws of physics (Chances thats the quantum bit)

Is that clear?

suenosch

Jul 1, 2009
Chester
In late summer of 2008 I saw green lights moving around on the ground under my hammock. I still managed to get to sleep, though. Some knowledgeable friends later told me that they would have been glow worms.

In autumn of 2009 I had a close encounter with a polecat. At first it looked like a giant squirrel. However it came down to the ground and made its way towards me, so that I got a very clear sighting of the markings on its head. It only turned away when just a couple of meters from me, and made its way quickly back on the same path.

Of course these are not inexplicable observations, but they are amongst the most remarkable ones that I have seen over the last couple of years.

S.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Has your father penned any books or scientific papers on the subject? How about his name, and I'll do a search on Amazon or on various academic-paper search engines I know?

Unfortunately, people believing what others tell them (and this is no way a slight on you or your father) is the fundemental basis for religion, and coincidentally suicide bombers!

Yes, he has written many scientific papers that have been published on astral physics amongst other things. Aliens though, no, like you he and I base that theory on mathematical probability and the knowledge that many planets reside in the 'goldilocks zone'. I was encouraged to make my own mind up on these subjects, and I was never brought up having much to do with him and his university life. He now runs his own business in other areas and I'm sad to say I've never read his papers or really have much intention to do so.

Instead of simply believing others and passing on heresay, why not do some research, present it in a book with citations and evidence, and then we'll see shall we?

Dude, this is a bushcraft forum, we are just having an informal conversation, not planning a major thesis. Interest in the subject only ocurs when it pops up in conversation for me. I personally don't actively read up and research the phenomena.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE