Toiletpaper in winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Many thanks Falcon and Voivode, you've saved me an answer :)

Burnt Ash, the other reason is that it's never nice scooping up a billy of water for your tea and finding pink toilet paper floating in it :eek: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Yeah, be careful with any water source. I've seen things like old food washed from dishes right into the only available water source. People are often dumber than the dumbest animals, you may even find human feces right next to your source of water. Always treat water or use a filter. SODIS works pretty good too if you have to treat very much water and you are going to be in one area for extended period of time.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Wow Rod, the vaseline method might be excellent. Here where I live it is often -20 degree F (do not know what that is in Celcius degrees) but it is cold enough. When you have your layers of wool down around your ankles you do not want to spend any more time than you have to wiping up.

Also, during mosquito and black fly season, I want to do the deed and get those pants up as quickly as possible!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Rod said:
I've heard tell of applying a smear of vaseline "prior to exit" does the trick. Your No.2 just shoots out without a trace. A sort of "look mum no hands" type of solution. Never tried it though. It's a Royal Marines thing apparantly. Joker can you confirm?

It works. Doesn't always totally preclude the wiping, but definitely decreases the amount you have to do.

It also prevents the terrible chafing affliction known as 'Japanese Flag' - not so much of a problem in a cold climate as in a hot one though

Is there a natural alternative to Vaseline?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I would feel dirty regardless, when using that method. I would at least test how clean it was with some snow.

And also, a general point, remember a true wilderness diet will contain a lot fibre and should slip through easily, leaving virtually no trace. With meat, remember to eat a lot of sinew and cartilage, not only the fine parts.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
There's another squaddie trick I've heard of which uses one sheet - you tear the corner off a single sheet and put this to one side for later.

You stick your finger through the middle of the sheet and sort out what you need to, pull the sheet back off your finger then use the corner to clean off the fingernail.

Nice.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
As for other animals then human ones, my cat always digs a hole to **** in, and then covers it all up! She's very intelligent...

I never **** in a toilet (don't have one) and always do it outside. I do use toilet paper though, and burn it directly after use. I just dig a hole, ****, and fill it up... but many times you can see lots of **** just lying around in that corner of the garden lol :lmao:

It's crazy though how fast it decomposes in summer. In just a week it's gone when burried around 10cm deep. But in winter it doesn't go away :p

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Where i am there is a lot of sphagnum moss which is the business, when you squeeze the water out it washes , wipes and almost dries all in one .
When you grab a handful its always good to make sure its clear of pine needles before you do the deed :eek:

Nikolai

Tenderfoot
I usually just try n keep it in until i get home, however, this is not an option on long trips (as you all know). When i do, i get a good fire going, poop into a bag, use the same bag to wipe my bottom :headbang: , then throw it straight onto the fire, which in turn boils my tea water :D:D:D:D. I never use a poo-fire for cooking food though.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
huntersforge said:
Where i am there is a lot of sphagnum moss which is the business, when you squeeze the water out it washes , wipes and almost dries all in one .
You look down see a nice patch of moss, drop off the payload and go to grab the moss when you realise its growing on a cowpat. :eek:

I carry small packets of kleenex in my jacket pockets, they can do a really good scrape off job, plus a couple of wipes from KFC to clean my hands up afterwards :yuck:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Viking said:
When going to toilet in the woods in the summer time you can always use leaves or moss. But in winter time the leaves has fallen off and the moss is buried under snow.
This weeking I walked on a trail near my parents home. The 2nd day I had to go, but I had forgot to bring toiletpaper. But I remember reading about making snowballs to use as toiletpaper in a book by Lars Fält. Better to use snowballs then not wiping my bottom at all I thought. So after making a couple of snowballs I did what i had to do and after I sued the snowballs to wipe my bottom. Surprisingly it worked great!!!

The snowballs works best when are shaped as a drop.

I bet you looked twice at the snowball before actually using it!
Must of been like using wet & dry:lmao: :lmao:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Bam, how deep do you recommend said potty to be dug?

Matt.

bambodoggy said:
Don't forget people that moss takes rather a long time to grow and ripping it up and using it as loo paper is extreamly damaging....in this land of over population it's much better to remember to carry a little loo paper with you and to burn it after use.

Also suggestions of cleaning up in the creek aren't too good....others might be relying on that creak further down for clean water for their livestock and you're infecting it.
All No.2's shoud ideally be done over 100m from a water course and really should also be buried.

Look after what's left of our outdoors all we'll all end up bushcrafting in waders ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE