Toiletpaper in winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I tried the snowball trick this weekend (well, we gotta make the most of the snow when we see it!!!! :-D ) and, well, yes, it works and nothing like what you'd expect.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yes, I found that to be the case too. :-D
Viking said:
I told you so, making snow balls is a perfect way to wash your hands also.

F

Freds Dad

Due to global warming, it no longer snows in Suffolk UK so I will have to keep using spagnum moss But...being a good scout and prepared i take a quarter of a bog roll with me in my pack.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I came across a brown smeared £20 note on a hike once. I pondered for a good three seconds on whether or not I should pick it up. I did pick it up and washed it in a nearby stream. It was dry by the time I got to the pub. The look on the landlord's face was amusing but he didn't say anything.

Eric

Reactions: torjusg

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Eric_Methven said:
I came across a brown smeared £20 note on a hike once. I pondered for a good three seconds on whether or not I should pick it up. I did pick it up and washed it in a nearby stream. It was dry by the time I got to the pub. The look on the landlord's face was amusing but he didn't say anything.

Eric

Where's there's muck there's money :p :lmao:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Eric_Methven said:

Eric
:lmao: :lmao:

The best one I have read in ages!! :lmao:

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Freds Dad said:
Due to global warming, it no longer snows in Suffolk UK so I will have to keep using spagnum moss But...being a good scout and prepared i take a quarter of a bog roll with me in my pack.

it's the same in the netherlands. where ten years ago there was a blizzard raging outside by this time, it's now 17 degrees C. with sun, smog and rain :(

Anyway, about toiletpaper. a thing I heard seems to work excellent is to use nicely rounded pebbles found near a creek. or anywhere else for that matter. but when you think about it. why would you use the pebbles if you have a creek? well.. thought I should post it though :)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Tengu said:
I use moss too.

Don't forget people that moss takes rather a long time to grow and ripping it up and using it as loo paper is extreamly damaging....in this land of over population it's much better to remember to carry a little loo paper with you and to burn it after use.

Also suggestions of cleaning up in the creek aren't too good....others might be relying on that creak further down for clean water for their livestock and you're infecting it.
All No.2's shoud ideally be done over 100m from a water course and really should also be buried.

Look after what's left of our outdoors all we'll all end up bushcrafting in waders ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Reactions: Toddy

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
And there you're absolutely right. it's nice to get some feedback on your thoughts and realise that what you thought was a good thing to do is not always. So.. going for the pebbles next time :)

p.s. sorry to the folks down stream! won't do it anymore

Jan 22, 2006
uk
reminds me of that clip taken from 'one man and his dog': the old boy's chatting about the days events while his dog scoots along the ground past him with a look of relief on his face. think its a great way to get the job done, just check the run first...

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
bambodoggy said:
Also suggestions of cleaning up in the creek aren't too good....others might be relying on that creak further down for clean water for their livestock and you're infecting it.
All No.2's shoud ideally be done over 100m from a water course and really should also be buried.

Just like all the bears, coyotes, foxes, badgers, mink, otters, deer, moles, voles, rats, geese, ducks, chuckawallas, etc., etc. ? They're all out there with their little folding spades, buryin their do-dos well away from water courses. Seen em do it! ;)

Burnt Ash

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Burnt Ash said:
Just like all the bears, coyotes, foxes, badgers, mink, otters, deer, moles, voles, rats, geese, ducks, chuckawallas, etc., etc. ? They're all out there with their little folding spades, buryin their do-dos well away from water courses. Seen em do it! ;)

Burnt Ash

Of course not, but for some reason humans tend to carry pathogens that are particularly good at attacking humans. It's been reckoned that most of the Beaver Feaver (Giardiasis) to be found in the "pristine" waters out here (and we have quite a lot of it in our mountains) didn't come from the wildlife but from wilderness users who were sloppy with their hygene.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE