Toiletpaper in winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It depends whether it's just for that one occation or whether it's for a longer stay, also how many are in your party and what the ground is made of.

As a general rule of thumb if it's a one off and I'm on my own I try to dig 7" down to ensure it is burried and stays that way, much shallower and you risk animals digging it up and flies landing on it that may then come and land on your food and much deeper and you are below the level where most natural enzymes that break down the stool live.
With a group of people I might double or even triple that depth and then ensure each users puts a handful or two of soil back in the hole to cover their.......offering ;) which helps to reduce any nasty niffs :lmao:

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

BMFHL

Feb 9, 2007
Dublin
"I came across a brown smeared £20 note on a hike once"

Must have been some millionaire bank managers out in the woods a few days before.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
the best way i find to do the clean up is to drag your rear across some moss like a dog with worms lol . like the song goes
what should you do if you want to have a poo in an english country garden.
you pull down your pants and you fertilize the ants in an english country garden.
you pick up a leaf and you wipe your underneath in an english country garden.
you pick up a spade and you bury what you made in an english country garden.
:lmao: :lmao: i do take klennex really :D

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Matt,

adding to what Bam said, usually if your digging a group dunny you should dig it down to where the soil changes significantly i.e a pure soil layer without humus etc. This depends on the soil type and location, but sometimes it will only be a foot under the surface. If you dig below this layer you are going beyond the zone that contains the natural bacteria which will help break down the faeces.

In many books they say dig down 2 or 3 feet in all situations but this is not correct.

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
I've never thought twice about it really. Just dig a hole and your off!

This may be of some help to some folks however :lmao:
0898156270.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Viking said:
When going to toilet in the woods in the summer time you can always use leaves or moss. But in winter time the leaves has fallen off and the moss is buried under snow.
This weeking I walked on a trail near my parents home. The 2nd day I had to go, but I had forgot to bring toiletpaper. But I remember reading about making snowballs to use as toiletpaper in a book by Lars Fält. Better to use snowballs then not wiping my bottom at all I thought. So after making a couple of snowballs I did what i had to do and after I sued the snowballs to wipe my bottom. Surprisingly it worked great!!!

The snowballs works best when are shaped as a drop.

Works well enough down to about 0 degrees F. Can be a survival issue if it is colder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE