Titanium Spork?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spork and Titanium Spork

• Have a plastic one

Votes: 101 33.7%
  • Have a titanium one

Votes: 74 24.7%
  • Have Both

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • Sorry, they're in the 'pointless gadget' category for me.

Votes: 52 17.3%
  • KFS sets all the way

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Whats a Sprok??

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A bushy one is on its way! Years agao I chopped up a cow horn (with mouth piece, a tacky present from Switzerland circa 1950 I found on a car boot) and made a flatish spoon shape. I just need to find a couple of suitable steel spoons I won't get throttled for wrecking and clamp them on the heat softened blank and then fiddle with it.

I even know where the blank is. Then again I could just ruin a perfectly good horn spoon I bought by sawing tines into it!

Would horn be too brittle? I've 2 weeks off coming up so theres some faffing time ahead!

I've still got those sulphur matches to finish! Sorry, all those half finished jobs have suddenly come back to haunt me!

ATB

Tom

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A bushy one is on its way! Years agao I chopped up a cow horn (with mouth piece, a tacky present from Switzerland circa 1950 I found on a car boot) and made a flatish spoon shape.

I have a couple of those and have similar plans!
I get reminded of the project every time I go into my workroom!
I ruined one horn by trying to work it too cool...it split and delaminated.....:(
I turned another into a "decoraters piece" poder horn to go with the fire wood and broom handle musket and pistol I made for a theatrical production and which now grace the beam of my inglenook fire place....wasteful I know.....but fun!:cool:
Our local junk shop has loads of Swiss horns but wants £10 each.:eek: ..no wonder they are still there!.
Horn (natures own thermoplastic) should work well as a Spork - but beware of stirring overly hot liquids with it as it may undo some of the initial moulding!

Try carving a seasoned Oak Spork...well good fun........:eek:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I just carry a multi-tool with everything I need, I think having an extra tool for one use is just a waste of space. Though some people can always find space for one (or more!) spork(s).

By definition, a spork is a multi-tool, the LMF versions are SPOon, fORK, and Knife, other types may also have stove spanners (MSR) and bottle openers and karabiners (Lifeventure) inbuilt.

Which of us can forget the one's with chopsticks as handles (despite trying very hard to forget!).
happy0009.gif

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
As a vegetarian (are we allowed to use the 'v' word on this forum?) I have no need of a fork/spork, and only take a spoon. Up 'till this year I've used an ordinary titanium spoon but it didn't fit into my mug. I now have one of the Alpkit folding ones that will.

Jim

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
A pointless item in my book, I dont know why they even exist to be honest...

I have used my lexan spoon for years and recently started to use my own carved ones, anything I eat in the woods only needs a spoon, if I need a fork to eat it I just chop it up smaller before I cook it or use my teeth and hands like the ancestors did...
Nothing wrong with the low tech approach once in a while...

Karl.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Not my cup of tea.

I like using chopsticks, Dogwood is great for them.

I am thininkg of getting a titanium pair though, best I've seen is $65.

Might be woth the import.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
i love the design of the LMF spork, one piece of kit, manages to do both the fork thing and the spoon thing without compromising either. The only problem I had with the plastic LMF sporks is that they do seem to have a tendency to break in the middle and without warning as soon as the fatigue builds up. So now i have a Ti one and as far as i can see it is perfect for what i want - don't get me wrong i would have bought one if it was in steel, ali or Ti as long as the two bases are ticked of the LMF design and in a metal (also stops me melting the prongs of the plastic ones when cooking in the dark or drunk or a combination of both).

For £10 delivered I cant complain and I do expect to get a lot of life from it.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Got both titainium and plastic .........and in different sizes. Folding ones and single piece gotta love them !!!!!
Cheap as chips and great for that must have gadget fix without breaking the bank.....

I am not addicted I am not addicted .....repeat ;)

Im off the evil bay to buy more.

Greg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As a vegetarian (are we allowed to use the 'v' word on this forum?) I have no need of a fork/spork, and only take a spoon. Up 'till this year I've used an ordinary titanium spoon but it didn't fit into my mug. I now have one of the Alpkit folding ones that will.

Jim

It's food Jim, but not as we know it.:eek:

Jim, why as a vegetarian don't you need a fork? I can think of many, many meals, home and outdoorsy that a fork would be more than beneficial having whilst consuming. Are you just eating soup?

Sorry for picking this up, just thought it a strange comment, had visions of vegetarians all eating with titanium tommee tippee spoons. :D

Cheers
Goatboy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well I've been vegetarian most of my life, these days I'm vegan, and I use my spork all the time.
I suppose a spoon would do....but I like to pick out individual treats from my food, not just scoop it up.

:dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well I've been vegetarian most of my life, these days I'm vegan, and I use my spork all the time.
I suppose a spoon would do....but I like to pick out individual treats from my food, not just scoop it up.

:dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

I know what you mean Toddy. Knew a chap a while back who just didn't like food, he ate because he had to, and it seemed a pretty souless lifestyle to me... ( But then I know I like my grub too much :eek: ) He would eat what was easiest and quickest, would've lived of suppliments if he could. Also met a fruitarian - no I didn't believe they existed either. They believe that killing a vegetable to eat is wrong as you are taking a life. He wasn't a strict fruitarian as he did eat bought fruit. Strict ones seemingly will only eat wind dropped fruit as it would rot anyway. He wasn't a healthy looking chap. I know some folk believe that a strictly restricted calorie intake will prolong life but hey, is it longer or does it just seem that way. Anyway I was happy just to have met him, though I don't know where he is now, and have never met another like him. So he will live on in my memories.
Me well I like food and the interaction it brings with other folk whilst eating. I also always carry my eating irons... Knife, Fork, Spoon. ( and or Spork - I think the ones who complain that they always go in the same bit are leaving them in the pot whilst cooking, and the heat gets to one bit in a fine line up the side of the pot).
GB

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
Used and abused for my Light my fire spork years. Still going strong

My kids utensil of choice for any meal not taken at the table.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
never left any of the LMF plastic ones in the pot when cooking (gets used and then back in pocket for brewups and food stealin') and they have all went at the same place. I think its more of a weakspot in the design / choice of plastic rather than user abuse Goatboy imho.

However now I have a Ti one I should have no further problems and because its Ti it should make me lose 5st, be better in bed and my life should improve immeasurably ;) - failing that at least it wont melt :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE