The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Second suggestion is a good one. that's the caterpillar of the Large Elephant Hawk Moth, probably the most frequent "What is this bug?" request in the UK.

As usual the only person who hasn't found one this year is me.

Not quite the only person ... neither have I, although one of the moths came in the bedroom in July - gloriously huge!

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
Second suggestion is a good one. that's the caterpillar of the Large Elephant Hawk Moth, probably the most frequent "What is this bug?" request in the UK.

As usual the only person who hasn't found one this year is me.

Oh Harvestman! there everywhere :):) Here is my badboy looking mean!
001.jpg
Ok so its common, I get it

PinkSally

May 29, 2013
Lincs
I am just hoping this picture posts, having a bit of trouble with my technology! Would love to know what this colourful bug is, many thanks!

PS

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Found this on my runner beans this weekend. Would be amazing camouflage on the right plant. So what is it?
2013-09-08 15.45.16.jpg

Ok, found out it's a "Plume Moth" of some description, in the Pterophoridae family

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Saw this little nice spider the other day and was brave enough to get close... I like orb spiders, it's most of the others that give me the willies.

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

Thought I'd post up for Harvestman as he likes 'em all.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thank you harvestman, was taken on a little Cannon compact, had to fiddle the auto focus to get it to come out. Meadow Sweet and vetch in the background.

I do indeed. That's a false orb weaver, Metellina sp, at this time of year probably Metellina segmentata. A female.

Nicely pictured.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
False widow, yes. Steatoda species. I'll have to consult the books, but S. nobilis, the biggest of the UK species, looks probable to me.

By the way, UK Steatoda are not dangerous, despite their size, fearsome appearance, and anything you might read in the Daily Mail. They are related to Black Widow spiders, but nowhere near as venomous. They have been recorded eating Black Widow spiders though :)

P.s. I checked, and yes, that looks like a female Steatoda nobilis. Glorious spider.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's pretty big, so yeah, S. nobilis. I suddenly wondered about Steatoda paykulliana, which has only turned up in the UK a few times, and that one might be dangerous.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
That's pretty big, so yeah, S. nobilis. I suddenly wondered about Steatoda paykulliana, which has only turned up in the UK a few times, and that one might be dangerous.

We never thought about putting something next to it as a scale - D'oh!
It was around 1/2 to 3/4" at the most.
We both handled it to lead it into the bowl for the pic, so clearly not that nasty - lol

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Actually, looking again, that's a male, which means that it is more likely to be S.nobilis at that size, and S.paykulliana male isn't regarded as dangerous - just the female.

Before anyone asks, it is because she is bigger than him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE