The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Found this little gent on a new to me apple tree in my area - apples not very tasty.
IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Sorry about the lack of photos i didn't have a camera at the time. I saw a very small weevil/beetle which had a green body and an orange head area and all the legs, feelers and underside was black. Sorry If there isn't enough detail but any ideas what it was?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks Niels and Harvestman for the ident. Have seen the moth around here but that's the first time I've seen the caterpillar. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Another long shot sorry but I always forget to take a photo. Found in woodland small body large legs but the most noticeable thing is a bright orange or green ball on one of its legs, quite distinctive. About an inch or two at most including legs. Usually in the pine/spruce woodland. Any species to look through for an ID?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Another long shot sorry but I always forget to take a photo. Found in woodland small body large legs but the most noticeable thing is a bright orange or green ball on one of its legs, quite distinctive. About an inch or two at most including legs. Usually in the pine/spruce woodland. Any species to look through for an ID?

That's very vague, but first thought is a harvestman with a mite on its leg. Are we talking insect or something else? Did it have wings?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yes, if it had 8 legs and a single body part, then it is a harvestman, and it is quite common for them to have parasitic mites feeding at their joints.

Here are some images

Amazing thanks. Had no idea they were parasitic growths. Glad it doesn't get any less horrific the more you learn about the insect world. :rolleyes: I am off the same woods this weekend to drop some elm and spend all day beating it with axe n wedge to make bow wood,,so I will definitely take lots of photos. I usually end up with one or two in the hammock and several on my pack.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Got a couple of arachnids for you, apparently I forgot to get a reference for them lol apologies for the pics they're off my phone.
Spider

Harvestman?

I'm pretty sure this is a Forest Bug

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
OK, HM, what's this ??? It was found by somebody who knows Paul Kirtley, in their garden, and posted on his FB page ... Shaggystu thinks it's a mutant caterpillar :D further suggestions are Elephant Hawkmoth ...

1175677_10151658195377428_444536560_n.jpg

14161_10151658195622428_961513667_n.jpg

Second suggestion is a good one. that's the caterpillar of the Large Elephant Hawk Moth, probably the most frequent "What is this bug?" request in the UK.

As usual the only person who hasn't found one this year is me.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Got a couple of arachnids for you, apparently I forgot to get a reference for them lol apologies for the pics they're off my phone.
Spider

Harvestman?

I'm pretty sure this is a Forest Bug

In order, common garden spider Araneus diadematus. Hard to see clearly from the angle of the picture but the size of the abdomen and general appearance suggests it might be a male.

Second pic is a harvestman (Yay! :)). Again hard to be certain but my instincts say that is a male Phalangium opilio.

And yes, that's a Forest bug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE