The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's the caterpillar of the Large Elephant Hawk Moth, probably the most frequent "What is this bug?" request in the UK.

As usual the only person who hasn't found one this year is me.

Yay! I found one at last!

9806988494_5cbef87a7c_b.jpg

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Interesting, although I suspect a bit sensationalist and Daily Mail - like article on the False Black Widow in The Independent yesterday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...f-britains-most-poisonous-spider-8827447.html

Spiders get such terrible reporting. A spider bite resulting in a bit of inflammation or any sort of reaction, especially in a child, will make a national newspaper without difficulty, evben though it amounts to little more than a standard allergic reaction. A wasp sting, which is far more severe, more toxic, and for which an allergic reaction is potentially life-threatening, gets nothing.

Steatoda paykulliana female has never been reported in the UK, and is only believed to be maybe dangerous - no one has been bitten badly enough to do the test :rolleyes:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Spiders get such terrible reporting. A spider bite resulting in a bit of inflammation or any sort of reaction, especially in a child, will make a national newspaper without difficulty, evben though it amounts to little more than a standard allergic reaction. A wasp sting, which is far more severe, more toxic, and for which an allergic reaction is potentially life-threatening, gets nothing.

Steatoda paykulliana female has never been reported in the UK, and is only believed to be maybe dangerous - no one has been bitten badly enough to do the test :rolleyes:

I lived in Queensland and then in Adelaide for a year and Black-widow spiders were very easy to find even in your garden. Still bites were rare and people just lived with them. Used to have a big huntsman in the garden called Herman, used to feed him at night :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Difficult to be sure from that picture, but that looks like another Steatoda to me, probably S. grossa this time. Native, and pretty harmless.

That's handy to know, thanks. Lots of them up around the eaves of
the house and under the tiles.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE