The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
P1010036.jpg

This flew across the road in front of us in the Ardeche a couple of years ago - at first we thought it was a small bird it was so large, approx 4 to 5 inches wingtip to antennae.

Don't know, but Egyptian grasshopper is a distinct possibility.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I think you've nailed it with the Egyptian grasshopper... having zoomed in pretty close on the original image the eyes are really similar, very unlike locust eyes as I recall them from school . Narrowed the date down to 2005 too... so more than a 'couple of years ago' but right inline for the locust hatch they had in the South of France. Cheers!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hey, that's nearly as cool as the new viper just found...

new-species-matildas-horned-viper-waterfall_46395_600x450.jpg

Particularly cool because a certain herpetological genius is part of the protection project. Which is why I've not been around as of late.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hey, that's nearly as cool as the new viper just found...

new-species-matildas-horned-viper-waterfall_46395_600x450.jpg

Particularly cool because a certain herpetological genius is part of the protection project. Which is why I've not been around as of late.

Stalking him, were you? :D

Nice yellow snake. What is it?

Not as good as a whole new family of snakes, but hey, each to their own. That's a lovely looking best.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Google - Matilda’s Horned Viper. It was only a few seconds away from being called Deval's Viper, but the kid won out... grump grump grump.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can get rid of cockchafers by making sure your jeans are always dry.

I remember when these were quite rare in the late eighties/early nineties and that rarity threatened the survival of Horseshoe bats. You never saw cockchafers up here at all, but now they are really common all over the place. Good news.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks for the pics Hillbill.

Just to add that the spider is Tegenaria, but species is not determinable from the pic.

(and I won't bite this time about the taxonomy...)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You could tell what it was when it was here in front of me. The thing must have had a 3 to 4" leg span spread out. Bigger than any other spider i have seen in the UK. It was hiding in my jacket. I put it on and it came running out of my collar. Looked the size of a small car then :D Did i brick it? Damn right i did for a sec lol :D

There was another on the cellar steps. Horizontal web, funnel ( hammock :D) in the corner. I left it there to keep Rachael out of man cave sub level 1 :)

Thanks for the pics Hillbill.

Just to add that the spider is Tegenaria, but species is not determinable from the pic.

(and I won't bite this time about the taxonomy...)

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Large black ground beatle with vibrant purple shine. i found the poor thing in my hair after coming back from a meet with thebushcraftforum on the edge of dartmoor, it must been in there for about two hours. It was about 2-3 cms long. It was a really pretty colour, though it did leave me rather startled when i pulled it out. Sorry no photo, after two plus hours crawling about my ginger head it was promptly put outside.

On a grosser note can anyone tell the differance between various types of ticks? I would be interested to the origin of what my ferrets pick up.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It looks like a shield bug (Pentatomoidea,) could be wrong, not the best angle. :)

According to wiki there are over 7000 species of them in 14 or 15 families.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE