The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Read the first post. We, the community, will try to identify the pictures. Not me, personally.

:nana:

There are more sorts of beetle in the UK than there are species of snake in the world, probably.

I'll look into it...

Whose stupid idea was this thread anyway? :cussing:

Brilliant idea..... What is this British snake thread. 33% chance of me guessing right. And yeah, far more insect species in the UK than snake species worldwide.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Another two species in that picture.

So there are. Well seen.

I haven't got the faintest idea what either of them are though. :rolleyes:

Well, the one in the bottom left looks like a dipteran, probably one of the smaller cranefly species, Limoniinae. Impossible to identify from a photo. Or it could be a mosquito or a midge.

The other thing might, just might, be a springtail, but I can't make it out clearly.

Thanks for contributing, and making me laugh.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Here you go...

25April201051.jpg

The book is out ,Is it a blue bug

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Why don't you run along and annoy someone else? :p

There's a thread about a dead grass snake (or a character from Asterix the Gaul, I'm not sure) that I don't think you've posted in yet. Remiss of you.

I knew I was going to regret this...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If I can't annoy another entomologist, then I may as well give up on life. You lot always give me grief when I'm out on exped. Putting camel spiders in my coffee mug is bang outta order - they scare me those things.

Seriously though, I have a load of stuff for ID'ing. What reference books do you use?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My reference collection is utterly minimal, unless you are asking about arachnids.

For most UK inverts I use the Collins Gide to the Insects of Britain and Western Eurpoe by Chinery. If it isn't in there, I might be struggling, unless its a woodlouse or a hoverfly.

Ask me about overseas stuff and for the most part I would have a clue, even on spiders. I've only been out of the UK once, ever. Unless Scotland counts?

I'm hoping to learn though, so fire away. Life gets boring without a challenge.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I collected a male Roesel's Bush Cricket today. Another orthopteran I've never seen before today.

The damned thing is now sat next to me, in a container, and is calling.

I'm getting heckled by a cricket.

Not my pic.
roesels_bush_cricket_0907092301.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE