The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There really is a dead snake thread though. They're expecting you...

Cheers mate, just found it.

Got the Collins Spider book, cracking guide. Must get the insect one. Their reptile and amphib book is good too. Hardly an errors at all. I have told them about those, but they ignored all my 1398 emails.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Cheers mate, just found it.

Got the Collins Spider book, cracking guide. Must get the insect one. Their reptile and amphib book is good too. Hardly an errors at all. I have told them about those, but they ignored all my 1398 emails.

They have a 1400 email response threshold.

I thought everyone knew that?

The collins spider book by Roberts is good if you have a microscope, less so otherwise. The best field guide for the UK is A Guide to the Spiders of Britasin and Northern Europe, by Dick Jones, published by Hamlyn. it hs a few flaws, but is a photgraphic guide, and I recommend it if you can get hold of it. Has been out of print for years, but sometimes turns up on ebay. For insects, make sure you get the collins guide with pictures, not the one that is mainly text.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
More pictures from me

Six spot burnet moth
Burnet Cefn Ila.jpg

Large Skipper
Large Skipper male 3.jpg

Marbled White
Marbled white  3.jpg

Red Admiral
Wyeswood Red Admiral.jpg

Honeybee
Honeybee on creeping thistle.jpg

Merodon equestris, a bee-mimicking hoverfly
Merodon equestris.jpg

S St Marks fly, Bibio sp
St Marks Fly.jpg

Green tiger beetle
Tiger beetle 2.jpg

Sawfly, Tenthedro maculata
vy429t.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
We have a lot of these shiny brown spiders around the eaves and under the tiles. Anyone know what they are?

IMG_0622.jpg

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not the best pic, Nice65, but a shiny black house spider at about that size is likely to be Steatoda bipunctata, one of the false widow spiders, but unlike some of the larger spiders in that group, harmless and unable to bite people. Most os the money spiders are black and shiny, but they aren't usually that large.

I'd like to see a pic that shows any markings that it might have though.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
This one predates upon your one if memory serves... Rhyssa persuasoria unless I've misidentified it?

rhyssapersuasoria2s.jpg

That is beautiful. I've never seen it. It certainly looks like Rhyssa persuasoria to me

My book says parasitic on horntail, Urocerus gigas, normally called the wood wasp.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not the best pic, Nice65, but a shiny black house spider at about that size is likely to be Steatoda bipunctata, one of the false widow spiders, but unlike some of the larger spiders in that group, harmless and unable to bite people. Most os the money spiders are black and shiny, but they aren't usually that large.

I'd like to see a pic that shows any markings that it might have though.

I took it a while ago on my iPhone. I now have a nice Canon so will see if I can get a better pic. Cheers for that, I'll look it up.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
They have a 1400 email response threshold.

I thought everyone knew that?

The collins spider book by Roberts is good if you have a microscope, less so otherwise. The best field guide for the UK is A Guide to the Spiders of Britasin and Northern Europe, by Dick Jones, published by Hamlyn. it hs a few flaws, but is a photgraphic guide, and I recommend it if you can get hold of it. Has been out of print for years, but sometimes turns up on ebay. For insects, make sure you get the collins guide with pictures, not the one that is mainly text.

Just got one off Amason in paper back for £4.21 cheers.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just got one off Amason in paper back for £4.21 cheers.

Seriously? That's a real result.

The only proviso with Dick Jones' book is that he thinks that most british spiders can be identified to species by appearance alone. He is the only UK arachnologisit to think so. However, if you want a pretty fair idea (to genus, maybe to one of 2-3 species) the book is brilliant. Oh, and it doesn't cover money spiders (no pocket book could), and for one or two species (notably the common garden spider Araneus diadematus) he's managed to find a strange colour form (the garden spider he pictured is pink!) and publish that.

My copy is battered because I use it all the time when doing demos.

Was there more than 1 for sale?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
P1010036.jpg

This flew across the road in front of us in the Ardeche a couple of years ago - at first we thought it was a small bird it was so large, approx 4 to 5 inches wingtip to antennae.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Seriously? That's a real result.

The only proviso with Dick Jones' book is that he thinks that most british spiders can be identified to species by appearance alone. He is the only UK arachnologisit to think so. However, if you want a pretty fair idea (to genus, maybe to one of 2-3 species) the book is brilliant. Oh, and it doesn't cover money spiders (no pocket book could), and for one or two species (notably the common garden spider Araneus diadematus) he's managed to find a strange colour form (the garden spider he pictured is pink!) and publish that.

My copy is battered because I use it all the time when doing demos.

Was there more than 1 for sale?

There was the one paperback which i got and a couple of hardbacks starting around £32 i think.

Good luck.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok, Adze, the spider is Araniella, no common name, either A. opisthographa or A. cucurbitina, but impossible to tell which without a microscope (and difficult even then), or one of two much rarer species not known from that far north.

The other thing is Grasshopperus giganticus, otherwise known as I haven't got a clue. I'll have a look and maybe make a guess later, but I've been studying UK Orthoptera for less than 2 weeks, and that isn't a UK species.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE